Thread: crazy travel idea

User Info Menu

Default crazy travel idea

when in need of life advice, ask DC!

So my gf has this idea of spending the 2nd half of 2016 travelling south america, basically doing odd jobs in exchange for room and food, and there is a website that connects people who want to do this. the whole thing would end with visiting my family back in the us in time for xmas/new years, and then probably back to czech republic.

im not really inspired to work in my area, and i'm a bit limited in what i can do here in CZ. I'm not a career person, so time off is ok for me. for her, well probably not the best idea, but it's her life and we both see now is the time to do something crazy (im 35, she's 32).

what gives me reservations are:

1. my musical commitments. I'm in 3 projects, the main one...well I guess they will have to find another drummer, I don't think they will be happy, and I might miss out on something special, but in the end, I don't think the band will go much further than gigs here and some around europe. I don't see us playing festivals and such.

2. my drumming. i can bring a practice pad, but that's about it, so i won't progress musically. I'm moving into year 4, so i'm not bad, but not great either. not sure if i will ever be great. in the end, ive realized that building a life with this woman is more important than trying to be a mediocre musician.

3. commitments here. this might cause some difficulties with my visa here, although this might not be such an issue (the details are a bit too long to get into). Also, there is my cat, who I can probably find a home for during this time, and we (gf and I) have an understanding that this is a priority.

so, do what we do best, give advice, tell me what you would do!

Thanks!!!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: crazy travel idea

I'm never sure which way to go. Take some short term losses now, or turn down an opportunity that you may regret for years to come. The old classic conundrum (been thru it myself) On the one hand a measure of security, on the other...pure adventure.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I wouldn't do it.

You'll be about 10,000 KM away from home with not much money. If something goes wrong you can be in big trouble very quickly.

You don't have to be 35 years old to do something crazy. You can do crazy things when you are older too.

User Info Menu

I took that risk when I was 20.
    I worked odd jobs and travelled the Western USA................it went great.
    Not sure I'd be doing that at 35.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

jg do what you have to do. Good luck

User Info Menu

Have a baby instead - that'll be crazy for the rest of your life, you won't have time to think about anything else for a good few years
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I would go..................wish I would have done something like that when I was younger

User Info Menu

Im going to do it i think. I will have to leverage my friends a bit, one to take the cat, another to help airbnb my new place (that could make quite good money in the end).

don't really see how we could get into legal trouble, it's not like we are going to china

i miss the sense of adventure i had when i first came here at 22, i've realized i had exchanged a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage, as many of us do...

I figure, someone will always be looking for a drummer, I can always practice, have kids, make money, but how often can you see a volcano, or a glacier?

any other thoughts?

User Info Menu

Just watch out for the snakes down there. I hear they're pretty bad.

all the best...

User Info Menu

yeah the only thing I would worry about is someone out for the hunt for travelers that lies and kidnaps you or her... like the movie Taken haha

User Info Menu

Do it. You only live once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah the only thing I would worry about is someone out for the hunt for travelers that lies and kidnaps you or her... like the movie Taken haha
    Then they would get a call from Kenzo (my cat):

I will find you, and I will kill you...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Sounds like you guys have made up your minds to me, very exciting,and something you may regret if you don't do it now.good luck to you