Thread: I cut down a crash for a hi hat top !

User Info Menu

Default I cut down a crash for a hi hat top !

Back during the holidays my brother gave me a 14" Zildjian Mastersound hi hat bottom . He got it in a trade for some studio time with some other junk (computer monitors and hard drives) and it was the only thing he couldn't use . So...he gave it to me . It looks brand new . I tried all the HH tops I had then the bottoms and didn't like what I heard . Well Yesterday I was rooting around in the storeroom and remembered the cymbal bag I have full of cracked and broken cymbals (yea , I save them) . So I picked the 16" Paiste Sound Formula that had a few cracks on the edge .

I got out the old tin snips and begin to slowly cut around the edge following the line I had drawn with a Sharpie pen . When I got to the cracks the pieces would fall . But then I got this long piece that curled around . I thought "cool , maybe it'll make a cool sound and I can use it " . But no...it's just a dull thud . It will look cool hanging from the ceiling tho .

So I got it down to size and here we have it !

They sound very good together ! I was very surprised . They aren't as harsh as the other combos I had put together before . Very crisp and tight . The open sound has a nice spread and the foot sound cuts through very well . I almost like these more than the 14" Paiste Signature Dark Crisp I've been using lately ! I really lucked out as I went in with the attitude that it was more of a goof than anything .

I just have to take a file to it , take down the sharp edges . I'll also be spraying some Cymbal Juice cleaner on it and buff it up .

Thanks for reading my post !

Rudy .

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: I cut down a crash for a hi hat top !

Neat to see how things like this work out. I never crack cymbals so I don't get a chance to for this type of thing but I have an old 20" Zildjian ride that is keyholed that I am going to cut circles in and make an Ozone out of and see how it sounds. I am currently using it,but after I replace my ride it's getting cut up.

User Info Menu

That's fun! Nice Christmas ornament haha

nice work cutting down the cymbal

User Info Menu

Nice rescue Rudy. Good job cutting it out with tin snips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice rescue Rudy. Good job cutting it out with tin snips.
    I was surprised how soft the metal was . It is a relatively thin cymbal , that's why I picked it . I had to go slow tho cause the snips I have are the old all metal ones without the cushion grips . But the efforts were well worth it .
    I buffed them up a bit with a microfiber cloth and just really enjoying them right now . It's like I got some really awesome hi hats for FREE.....
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I was surprised how soft the metal was . It is a relatively thin cymbal , that's why I picked it . I had to go slow tho cause the snips I have are the old all metal ones without the cushion grips . But the efforts were well worth it .
    I buffed them up a bit with a microfiber cloth and just really enjoying them right now . It's like I got some really awesome hi hats for FREE.....
    Rudy .
    I love FREE! It puts a smile on my face every time!

User Info Menu

Yeah free is good..........

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I love getting free cracked cymbals...but I don't repair them, I sell them to a store that pays me in credit. But glad it worked out! Some cymbals are thin enough to be cut like that, but a lot need to be drilled out.

User Info Menu

next time jedi, you should use your lightsaber...

User Info Menu

I saw a video of something like this where a guy used 2 crashes, one thin, one thick. I cant remember what is was, but the channel was full of really cool cymbals projects. I'm glad yours worked!
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post

I really lucked out as I went in with the attitude that it was more of a goof than anything .

I guess you mean that if it had came out like crap, you wouldn't have been overly disappointed. But it worked out well... nice piece of recycling, very resourceful !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    I guess you mean that if it had came out like crap, you wouldn't have been overly disappointed. But it worked out well... nice piece of recycling, very resourceful !
    Exactly ! It was the thinnest cymbal in the bag and I thought that maybe a thinner cymbal would match up better with that bottom , but if it didn't I wasn't going to tell anyone what I did and just put it back in the back in the bag . LOL .
    I have a old 21" Zildjian Ride cymbal that I plan to have cut up and make some wind chimes out of it . It has a cracked bell . I don't know how that happened , someone gave it to me when I was up in Billings Montana . The local water jet cutting place here owes me a few favors so it won't cost me a thing to have done . I just have to map it out . I plan on using some nylon string from my old snare wires and old drums sticks . It's also sort of a goof but it may sound ok .... for a wind chime .
    My dad was a boot maker and he taught me how to sew leather by hand . Comes in handy when I have to repair a drum/hardware bag or a cymbal/stick bag .
    I've taken old drum sticks and some wood from a pallet and made some hat/coat racks . The look pretty cool . Use the tip side out ... just sand the frayed part a bit and use a few coats of lacquer so the coats don't snag . I've given them out as gifts and people just love them !

Rudy .