Thread: Super sweet gear score!!

User Info Menu

Default Super sweet gear score!!

Just wanted to share a sweet score o made today on some gear. Found this garage sale type thing (they buy storage units and sell the contents). Their CL add said they had drums so I figured I'd check it out. I got there and found a PDP LX kit in padded cases, no PDP snare but it had an OCDP 15 ply (I believe) vented maple snare with it. They also had a Pearl firecracker snare and a DW snare stand. All the stuff is in decent shape, just dirty, the kick and toms 10", 12", 14" and 22x20, are in reasonably good shape just some minor dings and scratches. Picked it all up and took it home for $120. I'd say that's a pretty good haul. Got the snares cleaned up (those and the DW stand are all I really wanted cause I have my Concept Maple) will be cleaning the kick and toms up tomorrow for hopefully a quick resale to get my money back. Of course there are pics for your viewing pleasure
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: Super sweet gear score!!

Wow...what a steal. Congrats!
    Those OCP vented snares have a nice crack.

User Info Menu

That looks like a very good deal. Even with dings and scratches that still looks like a good set of drums.

User Info Menu

Nice. $120 you can't go wrong.

User Info Menu

holy crap you stole that!! Wish I could find a deal like that! Nice work!

User Info Menu

Wow. Those appear to be the made-in-Mexico shells. You basically bought a DW Performer kit for $120.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I was pretty surprised that 1) I found this deal and 2) my wife was actually ok with it, even she knew it was a good deal. Lol

User Info Menu

I forgot to ask, I need batter head recommendations for the OCDP snare. I'm going to run pure sound 20 strands on it with a Hazy 300 but I'm not sure what I should run as a batter head. I'm sure I'll have to play around with heads and tuning but some recommendations to start with would be great. Looking for a warm dry sound
    Last edited by topdog63; 01-11-2016 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

That's some straight up thievery at that price.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    I forgot to ask, I need batter head recommendations for the OCDP snare. I'm going to run pure sound 20 strands on it with a Hazy 300 but I'm not sure what I should run as a batter head. I'm sure I'll have to play around with heads and tuning but some recommendations to start with would be great. Looking for a warm dry sound
    Evans HD Dry. I just love this head on almost everything

User Info Menu

Good for you.
    Great score !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

What a steal! Call the cops...oh wait, you are the cops! Congrats!

User Info Menu

That's a great deal. Congratulations.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great steal!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

So here is the PDP kit all shined up, I can believe the about of duct tape that was stuck to the heads, shells, hoops, bass drum spurs and tom holder but with some bar keepers friend on the chrome stuff and some Mothers carneuba cleaner wax on the shells this think sparkles like it is brand new. Put some Evans G2 clear batters and old factory pearl reso heads on the toms, a used but good SK2 batter and a factory PDP clear reso on the kick. It sounds great and if I didn't already have my Concept Maple I'd probably keep it. Just put it on CL so hopefully I'll sell it soon.

As for the OCDP snare, I put a Genera Dry over Hazy 300 with pure sound snares, OMG it is SO LOUD!!! I was able to get the sound I was looking for out of it, tuned kinda low, nice dry sound.

I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I hate to say it.......being a brand new Concept Maple owner myself....but from what I'm told, those are better drums than the Concepts. Basically DW's sold under the Pacific name. I would be tempted to keep them and sell the Concepts. Or better yet, keep both!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I hate to say it.......being a brand new Concept Maple owner myself....but from what I'm told, those are better drums than the Concepts. Basically DW's sold under the Pacific name. I would be tempted to keep them and sell the Concepts. Or better yet, keep both!
    Haha I'd love to keep both but I promised my wife that I would sell them and recoup the money and then some. And I just cant get rid of the concepts, kind of an emotional attachment to them as they're the first brand new kit I've owned and I gave up something else that had alot of sentimental value to get them, plus I love them. Great sound, amazing cherry stain I just can't do it. Lol

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Thinking I might recoup the money by selling my breakbeats kit instead though

User Info Menu

Thinking I might recoup the money by selling my breakbeats kit instead though
    Sick, sick deal. I bought a PDP CXR (rock sizes) about a week ago 12,14,16 and 24 virgin kick, ruby sparkle, in excellent condition with stands, for $200. I thought I made a steal, but kudos to you $120. You need to find an excuse to keep it now. I'm with N2 on this, they are the highest quality kits that PDP ever made. You and I are lucky dogs 😛

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Thanks man. I feel pretty lucky and I'd love to keep it but we will see what happens.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Evans HD Dry. I just love this head on almost everything
    [/URL]

As for the OCDP snare, I put a Genera Dry over Hazy 300 with pure sound snares, OMG it is SO LOUD!!! I was able to get the sound I was looking for out of it, tuned kinda low, nice dry sound.

+2.....I love the Genera Dry............I have them on all but one of my snares

Congrats on the great deal brother

User Info Menu

$120!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wow that's an unbelievable steal!
    Here a beat on gross Percussion Plus kit goes for $350 lol.
    I can't believe that price.

Good luck on whatever you decide to sell--I'm super jealous!
    Congrats dude.

User Info Menu

Thanks Bonzai. I just got lucky someone didn't know what they had. It happens in occasion

User Info Menu

Saw your CL ad for this kit. Fair price and it's going to make someone really happy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Saw your CL ad for this kit. Fair price and it's going to make someone really happy!
    Thanks Late8. I'm hoping it finds the right home at the right price. So far I've had 3 scammers contact me and someone else offer to trade me a guitar. If I was into guitar I might have entertained it but right now, cash talks but I'd be open to offers.

Zildjian League