Thread: Gun scare at my kids' school...

User Info Menu

Default Gun scare at my kids' school...

Today was any parent's worst nightmare... A note was found written on the bathroom wall of the jr/sr high school saying:

"Today is the day I have a gun. 1-14-16"

Nobody knows who wrote it, but a lot of assumptions were being made. My 16 year-old daughter, Ginny, texted me a photo of the note this morning, and told me that the school was in lockdown. I knew that 'lockdown' meant nobody in & nobody out, so I stayed as calm as possible, texting her all morning long to reassure her. The jr. high kids can't have their phones with them, so I had no idea about my son, Kevin Jr.

Ginny was giving me a play-by-play as things were developing, and all the while I was reassuring her that "everything is ok, and its probably a prank" even though I was dying inside. That’s when I got another text that said "Someone is trying to open my door." I told Gin that if she heard shots, to have the biggest boy in class throw his desk through the window and jump.

I left work and raced to school. Thank God I work so close to home. I knew I couldn’t get in but I was compelled to be there. There were cops from 4 or 5 surrounding towns, county sheriffs and SWAT teams there, plus the local news crews. The K-9 units went through every locker & every backpack and found nothing, so It's believed to be a prank, and thankfully, nobody was hurt.

I was interviewed on the nightly news and I said how frustrating it is to be a parent and not be able to swoop in and rescue our kids. Obviously, we understand that the cops need to do their jobs, and God bless them: they did it well. Some of the cops' kids are in the same school. It was the most scared I've ever been.

Please do NOT turn this thread into a debate over guns: that's not the point.
    I just want you all to know that If you have kids, teach them to respect life, and if there's an intruder in school to stay calm, follow direction, and when all hell breaks loose to not panic and just get out.

Thanks DC friends for reading this.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gun scare at my kids' school...

Scary indeed ! Thankfully it was just a prank . But I tell you what ..whoever did that will probably never do it again . And whoever was contemplating doing something like this knows now what he's up against and will think twice before he does .
    Glad your kids are ok .

User Info Menu

Wow. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been. Even if it WAS just a prank. That's just sick. The lack of value toward human life chills me to the bone.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

omg that is horrifying!!

What is wrong with kids these days... some parents need to seriously beat sense into their kids.

User Info Menu

It happened to my kid too. Similar scenario. Swat came into her classroom with full gear and big guns. Scared 'em to death.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Please do NOT turn this thread into a debate over guns: that's not the point.
    Not only that, it's against the rules of the forum. Any remarks about guns or gun policy will be deleted and thread closed.

CD, sorry this happened to you. Pretty scary indeed. I think your advice to her about getting out if she heard shots was spot on.

User Info Menu

Thankfully, nothing came of it.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately a lot of the kids that actually carry out these acts already feel like they have nothing to lose, and the show of force really isn't much of a deterant. But I am with you guys on this one I'd be freaking out if my kids were in the situation.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I think your advice to her about getting out if she heard shots was spot on.
    Thanks, Tom. That's why I'm sharing the story. It's too easy to panic and freeze or try to hide under a desk like a sitting duck. We're all taking a brain-rest day today. Maybe I'll get a little drum time.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Cycledude,

Glad that it was just a prank and the kids are all doing fine..............I need to sit down and talk to my kids about what they should do, if this ever happened in their school.............sad that we have to do that.

User Info Menu

How different the world is now from when we were kids eh? I could easily go off on a rant about the media coverage of such events for purely political purposes but I will respect your wishes on this thread and just say I am so happy everything worked out in the end. Hopefully they find who did it and make an example of them, really is no place for that kind of prank.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It happened to my kid too. Similar scenario. Swat came into her classroom with full gear and big guns. Scared 'em to death.
    Now that is absolutely insane. I glad they were there, but I would hope it would be a confirmed situation in order to allow SWAT to actually invade a classroom. I think I would make water in my pants. Yep......I'm sure I would
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Now that is absolutely insane. I glad they were there, but I would hope it would be a confirmed situation in order to allow SWAT to actually invade a classroom. I think I would make water in my pants. Yep......I'm sure I would
    Better safe than sorry IMO

User Info Menu

I don't disagree a bit. It's scary, because those guys don't monkey around or pull punches. I assume there must have been some pretty solid Intel for them to bust in like that. You would know better than I....don't you have a military background and do training?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    How different the world is now from when we were kids eh?
    Not entirely. I remember sitting in lines in the hallway in elementary school with our heads between our knees preparing for a nuclear attack. This was during the cold war.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    How different the world is now from when we were kids eh?
    In terms of threats, violence, abductions, etc..........not that much.

I terms of media coverage, sensationalism, the fact the due to FB, Twitter, Instagram and the internet in general.....the saturation of instant news..........we see/hear of every single instance of bad events..........yes, very different.

User Info Menu

I remember when I was in middle school, we had a bomb threat. They announced over the pa that we needed to evacuate immediately. We had to move as fast as we could to the next closest school while staying together. Police cars came speeding in one after another.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Not entirely. I remember sitting in lines in the hallway in elementary school with our heads between our knees preparing for a nuclear attack. This was during the cold war.
    I remember that too..........didn't think about it much..........crazy times.

My daughter just started High School this year, and the school was built years ago............they still have the "fallout shelter" signs..............brought back memories

User Info Menu

Horrible...I just read my worst nightmare unfold in this thread. Thank goodness nothing happened. I have a 6th grader in a school 5 minutes from my house and my wife is a special education teacher in one of the worst cities in Northern California (Stockton). Her school has been locked down several times last year. Her special ed. kids literally go berserk when the lockdown alarm goes off. They can't take the loud alarm bell so it feels like the "world's coming to an end" for those poor kids.
    Last edited by late8; 01-22-2016 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Horrible...I just read my worst nightmare unfold in this thread. Thank goodness nothing happened. I have a 6th grader in a school 5 minutes from my house and my wife is a special education teacher in one of the worst cities in Northern California (Stockton). Her school has been locked down several times last year. Her special ed. kids literally go berserk when the lockdown alarm goes off. They can't take the loud alarm bell so it feels like the "world's coming to an end" for those poor kids.
    Very sad. I'm not sure if it's just just my region or all of canada, but the only alarm we had was the fire alarm. No lock down alarm, or end of day bell. Nothing. If there was a lock down, they would just announce it. I remember being in band class and I always thought what if we couldn't hear the announcement. I guess they just don't use them anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike