Thread: Search for 3rd kit continues.. Tama?

User Info Menu

Default Search for 3rd kit continues.. Tama?

So I just bought a used Yamaha stage custom, older model with scratches for $150 (see yamaha thread for pics) with snare and stand. I need a 3rd kit to just leave at bass players house.

So I decided to throw it up on cl and got offered $350 without the snare or stand so I took it.

Now I have $350 and shopping again. I am considering a brand new Tama imperial star 4 pc bop kit 100% poplar,
    Bass Drum: 18" x 14"
    Tom 12" x 8"
    Floor Tom: 14" x 14"
    Snare: 14" x 5"

I have been burned before by Tama but at $229 with free shipping I dont see how I could go wrong. Anyone have any experience with this kit or poplar in general?

I am also looking hard at a Premier projector (birch with beech re-rings) for $400 cash but I would have to drive 3 hrs total to pick it up and bring it home.

link to premier [link removed per forum rules - Tom]

I despise Basswood and would never get that but I think poplar can actually be pretty nice?
    Last edited by MDK; 01-17-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Search for 3rd kit continues.. Tama?

Poplar is not a bad wood. I've played a couple kits, and they actually sounded really nice. It's "similar" to maple in terms of sound characteristics. It was also used as an internal filler ply wood on some high end kits. I think even Ludwig used it in the 3ply shells of the 70's.

Nothing wrong with the Tama, but might also consider something like Ludwig Breakbeats, Sonor Safari, PDP New Yorker.....even the Sound Percussion Street kit. It has a Birch inner ply and gets pretty high reviews. I guess the big question is; will $350 get you a new kit that's better than the Stage Customs you sold? The Premiers would definitely be better. Another option is look around for a used PDP CX kit.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I looked at all those, do not like breakbeats due to 16" bd size..the new yorker is twice the price, safari is select hardwoods which usually means basswood (yuck)

The price is really got me thinking about it, plus it comes with a BD riser
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I love my breakbeats kit. Those are also "select hardwood". The 16" kick with a little tweeting of the heads sounds pretty good. I left the stock heads on a put a full size kick port dead center in reso. It also comes with a riser. Give it a shot if there's a GC or something near you where you can try it out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    So I just bought a used Yamaha stage custom, older model with scratches for $150 (see yamaha thread for pics) with snare and stand. I need a 3rd kit to just leave at bass players house.

So I decided to throw it up on cl and got offered $350 without the snare or stand so I took it.

Now I have $350 and shopping again. I am considering a brand new Tama imperial star 4 pc bop kit 100% poplar,
    Bass Drum: 18" x 14"
    Tom 12" x 8"
    Floor Tom: 14" x 14"
    Snare: 14" x 5"

I have been burned before by Tama but at $229 with free shipping I dont see how I could go wrong. Anyone have any experience with this kit or poplar in general?

I am also looking hard at a Premier projector (birch with beech re-rings) for $400 cash but I would have to drive 3 hrs total to pick it up and bring it home.

link to premier [link removed per forum rules - Tom]

I despise Basswood and would never get that but I think poplar can actually be pretty nice?
    My exact configuration but Gretsch USA. Nice playable set up. You may really like it. I'm so used to my 18" it would be weird to play a bigger bass now. I'm seeing a difference now in the terminology. A 16" bass constitutes a jungle set while the 18 is bop style. I am very poor at discerning wood types.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would think the Imperialstar would be fine but you could look for a used Silverstar bop kit. Or you the person who had the issue with the heads seating correctly, etc?

$200+ dollars is a pretty low budget so there probably isn't a whole lot of difference between anything you would get in that range.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I would think the Imperialstar would be fine but you could look for a used Silverstar bop kit. Or you the person who had the issue with the heads seating correctly, etc?

$200+ dollars is a pretty low budget so there probably isn't a whole lot of difference between anything you would get in that range.
    Budget is actually about $400 tops, yes I got a SS with crappy gromets and poor bearing edges but according to most I just got a dud. If I get the imp. star I can always return it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Budget is actually about $400 tops, yes I got a SS with crappy gromets and poor bearing edges but according to most I just got a dud. If I get the imp. star I can always return it.
    If 400 is the budget I would look used personally. Do you specifically want a bop set?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I think I am now leaning towards a new Yamaha Stage custom or a Mapex Mars. Waiting to see what new colors/options are available after namm this friday. Life is too short for subpar drums : ) and witha 24 month no interest offer a $600 kit is easily doable
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Mapex Mars definitely, assuming we're talking about the first run of them and not their recent re-release. You'll know them by having more depth, longer lugs, and a hybrid mahogany/maple shell - truly a lovely design from 1998. Only ones you'd find of those are on the used market, so you're bound to get a good deal on them and probably score a bunch of other thrown in stuff like hardware, cymbals, and heads, etc so they're worth the hunt I think. The newer ones look too strange for me to get into - the shallow toms, the new mounts, the transformers badges they use now.. I dunno it just hasn't caught on with me, but I do love the older stuff and would consider it their golden era. As a company, Mapex was always about the idea of more quality for less money, so i'd put em against a number of kits in the same price range with confidence anyday.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-24-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments