Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music as a full time career

User Info Menu

Default Re: Music as a full time career

invest in a super nice conversion van to live in that can also hold all your gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    1st: Give it up, forget about it because it's not going to happen.

2nd: OK, you are not going to give up the "dream". That's good.....maybe.

There has been a lot of good advice given. Some from people who actually did it.

If you have enough cash that will allow you to cover your everyday expenses (gotta eat, a roof is always nice to have, which means rent, and the various things that pop up that, unfortunately, cost money.)

If you have enough to keep you afloat, put your own band together, but, finding people that want what you want is going to be hard. Back in the day, we auditioned about 300 musicians/singers over a period of several months to find 3 that wanted what we wanted. If you find people like that, you can pick the music, and the direction that you want to go, and you have to do that as a band, not 1 person.

Finding a working band looking for a drummer. That can be both good and bad. Good because you are working. Bad because not everybody has the same goal as you.

Someone mentioned a tribute band. I turned down a Doors tribute band that was a very busy band, working all the time. I would have had a week to get up to speed. Not hard to do when you are playing 1 bands songs note for note, and, for the most part, the drum parts were simplistic. I liked the Doors, but not enough that I wanted to do them 24/7.

Money: It has to come in on a continuous basis. We couldn't catch a gig for a while because the bar owners didn't have time to listen to the few songs we had on a little tape recorder. We started sending our bass player's GF (blonde, good looking, and looked even better in shorts and a halter top) The owners would at least listen to her, and she got us our 1st gig. $160 for the night and we played 3 nights and did well enough that he wanted us back every 6 weeks or so.

About 2 months later we got booked into the Stone Pony, rocked the place, and really never had to look for a gig again. Our fight, if you will, was how much are we worth for a 3/4 night gig. This was in the early '70's where you played 4 sets, and didn't split the night with another band.

When you start making money and playing better clubs, the money goes on a better sound system. We went with a Shure Vocal Master that did the job just fine.

There are just so many things that come into play when trying to do this that part of me wants to say "forget it", but I also know what it was like back when I was young and it was all I wanted to do. So................................................ ................GO FOR IT.

The part about failing is that I expected (when I was in my 20's) that by the time I was 35-40, I'd be playing in a jazz band. Never happened.
    I like this. Great story and insight Rick. I too turned down a tribute band for the same reason. That and I didn't love the music enough to do it all the time. I would have been making good money but bored to tears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    invest in a super nice conversion van to live in that can also hold all your gear.
    Our guitar player actually did this for a two years back in the 80's . He had a blues band and they had a house gig that they played at 4 nights a week and it paid well . They were popular and headlined some of the blues festivals here . However ... he had an ex wife and two kids he had to pay off !
    He had a van with a small tv and a recliner in it . He would park it behind the grocery stores and run an extension cord to the outside outlet . He did this for two years till the house gig faded and he had to get a day job at a cable company . But then he quit playing and only did the day job . He was able to pay the ex and have a decent apartment . Instead of saving his money he squandered it on drugs and booze ! Currently he is living with government assistance .

Sometimes you do what you gotta do . Your advice isn't too far out ... LOL !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Music as a full time career = currently living with government assistance

That's not an unusual story

User Info Menu

I'd like to share excerpts from an article concerning today's music industry. It's a different take on what's been said and it sheds some light on what labels are looking for and who to sign to keep making money to stay in business.

How Mediocrity Became the Music Industry Status Quo

By TriniTrent -
    Jul 17, 2013

"As high-speed internet became more common during the mid-2000s, YouTube quickly became more popular and visual artists were propelled to the forefront of the Digital Age. No longer were people tuning in to the radio or even television to discover the latest hits by their favorite entertainers because all the material became readily available with just a few clicks.

The internet provides us with millions of images every day and for most artists, the quality of their music has become secondary to the visuals demanded by their fans.

Visual artists generate massive revenue from singles for labels and since album sales are still generally bubbling in the toilet, record companies simply follow the money trail. Hence, those performers unable to keep up with the demands of constantly generating exciting visual content for the new age of consumers – R&B and Soul acts, especially those over the age of 30 years, really feel the pinch – are left on the back burner."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post

Buddy of mine was drumming for a well-known Metal act that had albums on the Billboard charts. He wanted to get married to his girlfriend....but they wouldn't - because if he did his girlfriend would lose her Public Assistance/Food Stamps.

The amount of money he was making was pathetic.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'd like to share excerpts from an article concerning today's music industry. It's a different take on what's been said and it sheds some light on what labels are looking for and who to sign to keep making money to stay in business.

How Mediocrity Became the Music Industry Status Quo

By TriniTrent -
    Jul 17, 2013

"As high-speed internet became more common during the mid-2000s, YouTube quickly became more popular and visual artists were propelled to the forefront of the Digital Age. No longer were people tuning in to the radio or even television to discover the latest hits by their favorite entertainers because all the material became readily available with just a few clicks.

The internet provides us with millions of images every day and for most artists, the quality of their music has become secondary to the visuals demanded by their fans.

Visual artists generate massive revenue from singles for labels and since album sales are still generally bubbling in the toilet, record companies simply follow the money trail. Hence, those performers unable to keep up with the demands of constantly generating exciting visual content for the new age of consumers – R&B and Soul acts, especially those over the age of 30 years, really feel the pinch – are left on the back burner."
    How very sad. I must admit, I'm sometimes guilty of wanting things too fast and not appreciating the whole article, video or song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    How very sad. I must admit, I'm sometimes guilty of wanting things too fast and not appreciating the whole article, video or song.

Hey Tom, welcome to my world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Buddy of mine was drumming for a well-known Metal act that had albums on the Billboard charts. He wanted to get married to his girlfriend....but they wouldn't - because if he did his girlfriend would lose her Public Assistance/Food Stamps.

The amount of money he was making was pathetic.

"".....you look like a star but you're still on the dole""

Just a bit before your time ^

User Info Menu

"".....you look like a star but you're still on the dole""

Just a bit before your time ^
    My favorite version!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    In addition, I hate cell phones.
    We had a perfectly good high-quality land-line system that got overrun by the cellular system due to its convenience.
    But the audio quality is a distant second.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yea I guess we've left that part out .... oops .

I want to stress to all the young players who want to do this for a living how important it is to save your money , get an accountant .... and pay your taxes .

Most of the musicians around here (Tucson) are on public assistance . Most have never payed taxes or haven't in a long time . And so now they won't do a gig unless they get paid in cash !
    See we use to be a four piece band but the keyboard player left the state . We have not been able to replace him because none of the players here in town will do our gig because we get paid with a check for the gigs and at the end of the year our leader gives us a 1099 form . That means they would have to file taxes and more than likely lose their public assistance !

It's important that you take care of the business end of it too .

Some of these guys were riding high on the hog back in the day , and they thought it was going to last forever . They never saved . Believe it or not some of these guys still live with their parents ! Others have girlfriends who take care of them . I can tell you stories of guys from here who could have gotten gigs as clinicians for guitar companies but didn't because they were so deep in a hole with back child support and alimony and taxes that the companies changed their mind and move to the next guy !

I don't mean to brag . I'm not "well off" but I do own my own home and I am completely debt free . And that's because I took care of the business end of it right from the start . I got a lot of good advice back then and I took it .

Take care of the business end of it too so you don't wind up like a lot of the people I know .

Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Yea I guess we've left that part out .... oops .

I want to stress to all the young players who want to do this for a living how important it is to save your money , get an accountant .... and pay your taxes .

Most of the musicians around here (Tucson) are on public assistance . Most have never payed taxes or haven't in a long time . And so now they won't do a gig unless they get paid in cash !
    See we use to be a four piece band but the keyboard player left the state . We have not been able to replace him because none of the players here in town will do our gig because we get paid with a check for the gigs and at the end of the year our leader gives us a 1099 form . That means they would have to file taxes and more than likely lose their public assistance !

It's important that you take care of the business end of it too .

Some of these guys were riding high on the hog back in the day , and they thought it was going to last forever . They never saved . Believe it or not some of these guys still live with their parents ! Others have girlfriends who take care of them . I can tell you stories of guys from here who could have gotten gigs as clinicians for guitar companies but didn't because they were so deep in a hole with back child support and alimony and taxes that the companies changed their mind and move to the next guy !

I don't mean to brag . I'm not "well off" but I do own my own home and I am completely debt free . And that's because I took care of the business end of it right from the start . I got a lot of good advice back then and I took it .

Take care of the business end of it too so you don't wind up like a lot of the people I know .

Rudy .
    Well Done. So you were the guy in that 90's commercial whose band looked at him and said "Eugene, you have a credit card???"
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Seeing as this post is still carrying on and has struck a chord with everyone, if the OP wants some real hard cutting advice, he can post up some video of his playing. It could turn the whole post around.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Speaking of taxes.....

I'll bet I'm the only full-time musician/drummer here that was audited by the IRS.

Last edited by EddieV; 02-13-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Speaking of taxes.....

I'll bet I'm the only musician (That is and was a full-time drummer) here that was audited by the IRS for being a musician.

Ha ..yea I got called in back in 84 . I was in a house band and the band leader was paying everyone in cash . The IRS came after him and he had to give everyone else up ! It was a big mess . I had all my stuff in order but I still had to go in and prove it . I had that gig for two years and payed my taxes but none of the other musicians that went through that band paid theirs . Boy did they get nailed !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Ha ..yea I got called in back in 84 . I was in a house band and the band leader was paying everyone in cash . The IRS came after him and he had to give everyone else up ! It was a big mess . I had all my stuff in order but I still had to go in and prove it . I had that gig for two years and payed my taxes but none of the other musicians that went through that band paid theirs . Boy did they get nailed !
    Rudy .
    Mine was in the mid 90's. I ended up needing to submit an itemized list of equipment that showed the depreciation for each thing/item - and I had to supply the Social Security Numbers of the roadies that I had used.

This was an issue - as one of them had been receiving public assistance. He was getting paid $45 each night (5 nights a week) to work for me.

The IRS agent told me that they COULDN'T go after or turn him in.

Sure enough - they didn't.

The IRS Agent actually complimented my on my records keeping.

lol

User Info Menu

I believe everyone should find their passion in life and pursuit it to find happiness and fulfillment. At least if it means that much pursuit it to the level when you get older you won't have regrets of not trying. Having said that, being in my early 60's I have to work on not being cynical about the current state of the "music business" and the economy in general when talking to younger musicians. There are a lot of really talented musicians with access to stuff on the internet and YouTube that will aid in their development. That is light years ahead of what was available in the late 60's/early 70's when I was in my learning years.

I hope that the passionate talented musicians will find/invent ways to pursuit music in a meaningful way and be able to make a living at it. With luck we will look back at what is going on today as ancient history as new ways to share music and make money at it will have been created. I salute these younger musicians in their pursuit as they follow their dreams in this journey!

User Info Menu

Passion is very important. But it doesn't slip cheeseburgers underneath your front door.