Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music as a full time career

User Info Menu

Default Music as a full time career

I've been committed to persueing music as a full time career since I was 16 years old. With the break up of my current band because of the other members not being dedicated and focused I am yet again looking for a serious band to tour and record with full time.

I've been on this path for many years. I have no intention of ever quiting no matter how hard it is and no matter how long it takes. It's all I've ever wanted to do for a living. So I know if I were to ever give up I would not be satisfied doing anything else.

I have said for awhile now that the hardest part about being a musician is dealing with other musicians! But eventually I will find the right group of players to make it happen with.

I am one that truly believes that if you never give up and never quit one will reach all their goals.

Just opening up the topic of being a career musician. What are your experiences?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Music as a full time career

My experience was a long, fulfilling career. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I don't but I always get out there and hustle if there's not enough money for the bills. These days I freelance web marketing and related services where I can be mobile and supplement my income. I advise carving something like that out for yourself so you have more than one way to earn a living.

As for dealing with other musicians, you might find this hard to believe but the more you work on yourself, the easier it is to get along with others. You'll also find yourself being more particular with who you work with. Human relations is tough but the more solid we are individually, the easier it is to make things work out as a whole. Continually communicate and strive for excellence personally as you do your craft.

One more thing; save money! You'll need it for a rainy day. And don't live beyond your means.

Go get it! Good luck to you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    My experience was a long, fulfilling career. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I don't but I always get out there and hustle if there's not enough money for the bills. These days I freelance web marketing and related services where I can be mobile and supplement my income. I advise carving something like that out for yourself so you have more than one way to earn a living.

As for dealing with other musicians, you might find this hard to believe but the more you work on yourself, the easier it is to get along with others. You'll also find yourself being more particular with who you work with. Human relations is tough but the more solid we are individually, the easier it is to make things work out as a whole. Continually communicate and strive for excellence personally as you do your craft.

One more thing; save money! You'll need it for a rainy day. And don't live beyond your means.

Go get it! Good luck to you!

Thanks!

I strive very hard to be a nice, courteous, easy going guy. Im very driven to succeed in a full time band. Sadly most of the musicians that I have worked with are not. So I have cut them a lot of slack trying to make it work. But being that Im no longer a spring chicken I really don't have time to waste with people who are not committed.

As far as other income sources, I teach drums. Teaching is not my passion but I do it pretty well. I would rather just play for a living to be honest. Sadly teaching is not what it used to be in my area anyway. Students are very hard to come by. I don't think that the economy has really bounced back enough in my area to ever bring my student numbers up to where they once were. So I have a day job that helps pay the bills as well as my teaching.

At this point Im doing all I can to find the right band. Networking in every way possible. One of the hardest parts for me is the down time waiting for the right band to show up that needs a drummer. But my spirits are high and Im staying positive!
    Last edited by Midnightmadness; 01-19-2016 at 11:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's my story . It was never my intention to be a full time drummer ...it sorta just happened . I was very much into electronics and was taking vocational classes in high school . I played my drums in my bedroom and that was pretty much it , I loved to play the drums but never thought I would make it my living . My nextdoor neighbor was the lead singer in a very successful Mexican band and had decided to go solo . His mom told him about me , as he was gone on the road all the time . So I took my stuff next door to his house and played along to some Tower of Power albums . Next thing I knew I was his drummer and I was playing on these huge gigs traveling the country ! I had to drop out of high school . I was always lucky to be picked up by another band as soon as my previous gig ended . It wasn't till I was ten years into it that I said to myself "well...I guess I'm a professional drummer now" . LOL
    There was a time when I walked away from it because I was burned out . I got a day job and a mountain bike . I would get off work and hit the trails just to decompress .
    The same guy that gave me my first break was the one who got me back into it . I'm 55 now and play locally .
    As 'drummer' said ....save your money . Stay clear of the drugs and drinking that prevail in our business . Save your money . Play whenever you can with as many people as you can . Getting your name out is important , let people know who you are and where you are .
    Another of my passions is training dogs , German Shepherds specifically . I have three of my own but I also board and train for others as well . That brings in a good windfall . And my hobby is restoring vintage hi fi gear . Restored tube amps bring in good money as well . LOL
    Good luck in your journey brother ! All my best to you and your family .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

When I was on tour it was tough. Not as magical as any of us thought it would be. Someday's barely finding places to sleep and barely enough money to eat. We learned the hard way of "starving artist" but we pushed forward and did whatever we had to to get a gig, make some money, and pay for gas and supplies to keep going to the next place. You definitely need to keep your head up, keep clean for sure, don't spend money on things you don't need. Play anywhere and as much as you can and sometimes it sucks but play for anything they are willing to offer. Exposure is key. Remember you'll never know who's watching in the crowd... .could be your next golden ticket to a contract or new big name band etc. So play every gig no matter how big or small the same. Play to your fullest.

User Info Menu

My advice is short and sweet. With all the time and heart ache that goes into learning music and being a full time musician, GO to Law School instead. You'll be a whole lot wealthier. Then you retire early and play your drums all day long if you want to.

all the best...

User Info Menu

^hahaha nice and true!

User Info Menu

Well I was never a lawyer but I still get to play my drums all day ! And it's all I've ever had to do ...except for that short time I didn't want to play the drums . I may not be as wealthy as some but I am comfortable , own everything I have and I did it on playing drums alone .
    No regrets here .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    My advice is short and sweet. With all the time and heart ache that goes into learning music and being a full time musician, GO to Law School instead. You'll be a whole lot wealthier. Then you retire early and play your drums all day long if you want to.

all the best...
    Too late, I already went to music school lol! Plus, I think studying law would bore me out of my mind!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Well I was never a lawyer but I still get to play my drums all day ! And it's all I've ever had to do ...except for that short time I didn't want to play the drums . I may not be as wealthy as some but I am comfortable , own everything I have and I did it on playing drums alone .
    No regrets here .
    Rudy .
    That's what I've always wanted. My goal has been to play full time in an original metal since I started playing. If Im blessed with great wealth while doing so great. But if I can pay my bills and live comfortably while doing so I will be super happy! But I shoot for the highest of the highs goal wise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmadness View Post
    That's what I've always wanted. My goal has been to play full time in an original metal since I started playing. If Im blessed with great wealth while doing so great. But if I can pay my bills and live comfortably while doing so I will be super happy! But I shoot for the highest of the highs goal wise!
    You do realize how many original metal bands there are that want to make it big.
    It's probably the shortest life expectancy of any musical career there is.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If you want to be a full-time musician because of wealth and fame - you'd probably be better off doing something else.

Your passion needs to be for your music/art/craft....not yourself.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmadness View Post
    But I shoot for the highest of the highs goal wise!
    Always maintain that . Always play at your highest level ... no matter what kind of gig .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

It's not that simple. Take Bono for instance. Bono is a musician, he is the singer and front man of the U2 band. Bono invested his money in Facebook stock, the stock price went way up and now Bono is worth a billion dollars. But he's still a musician, still performs, still records.
    Last edited by 8beat; 01-19-2016 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Go for it. Don't let anyone stand in your way or discourage you.

Tex

User Info Menu

Persistence conquers all. Stories abound of famous musicians, athletes, etc. who at some point were told they were no good, to give up and do something different. Most wealthy entrapanurs failed numerous times before they made it.

My only suggestion would be to invest in a quality pro-level kit as soon as possible.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Here's my story . It was never my intention to be a full time drummer ...it sorta just happened . I was very much into electronics and was taking vocational classes in high school . I played my drums in my bedroom and that was pretty much it , I loved to play the drums but never thought I would make it my living . My nextdoor neighbor was the lead singer in a very successful Mexican band and had decided to go solo . His mom told him about me , as he was gone on the road all the time . So I took my stuff next door to his house and played along to some Tower of Power albums . Next thing I knew I was his drummer and I was playing on these huge gigs traveling the country ! I had to drop out of high school . I was always lucky to be picked up by another band as soon as my previous gig ended . It wasn't till I was ten years into it that I said to myself "well...I guess I'm a professional drummer now" . LOL
    There was a time when I walked away from it because I was burned out . I got a day job and a mountain bike . I would get off work and hit the trails just to decompress .
    The same guy that gave me my first break was the one who got me back into it . I'm 55 now and play locally .
    As 'drummer' said ....save your money . Stay clear of the drugs and drinking that prevail in our business . Save your money . Play whenever you can with as many people as you can . Getting your name out is important , let people know who you are and where you are .
    Another of my passions is training dogs , German Shepherds specifically . I have three of my own but I also board and train for others as well . That brings in a good windfall . And my hobby is restoring vintage hi fi gear . Restored tube amps bring in good money as well . LOL
    Good luck in your journey brother ! All my best to you and your family .
    Rudy .

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    When I was on tour it was tough. Not as magical as any of us thought it would be. Someday's barely finding places to sleep and barely enough money to eat. We learned the hard way of "starving artist" but we pushed forward and did whatever we had to to get a gig, make some money, and pay for gas and supplies to keep going to the next place. You definitely need to keep your head up, keep clean for sure, don't spend money on things you don't need. Play anywhere and as much as you can and sometimes it sucks but play for anything they are willing to offer. Exposure is key. Remember you'll never know who's watching in the crowd... .could be your next golden ticket to a contract or new big name band etc. So play every gig no matter how big or small the same. Play to your fullest.
    Spot on. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree with everything that has been said.

I was lucky enough to do it for over 30 years with only 2 personnel changes.

If you make money doing this, invest as much as you can because there is no pension plan in this game, and the vast majority of bands do not wind up with contracts no matter how good they are.

As I have said several times, I would be living in a cardboard box if my friend/acct/investor didn't talk me into investing back in the '70's when I started making real money playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I agree with everything that has been said.

I was lucky enough to do it for over 30 years with only 2 personnel changes.

If you make money doing this, invest as much as you can because there is no pension plan in this game, and the vast majority of bands do not wind up with contracts no matter how good they are.

As I have said several times, I would be living in a cardboard box if my friend/acct/investor didn't talk me into investing back in the '70's when I started making real money playing.
    Well said Rick . Very sound advice .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Im learning more about investing wisely. Im big onto the Dave Ramsey program. He talks a lot about investing for retirement.

Im also looking into the musicians union more as they have pension plans for musicians.

I'll be honest, I have a good deal of debt that Im in process of getting knocked out that I have built up over the years. But those things take time. I've always struggled with money management, but Im doing better now then I ever have. It's a slow process building in these better habits. And I still slip up and spend money when I should not. But Im committed to keep working on it.

The thing with music is that I know it's a very hard career path. But it's one Im committed to for the long haul. I just need to find others who feel the same.

My past strategy was to try to find the perfect band before I joined them. But as of late I have reevaluated my strategy. As long as I at least like the bands music and I can get along with them I will join and play with them all while keeping my eyes open for the perfect band, for me, that I've always been looking for. This will at least get me out in front of more people so there is more opportunity for that perfect band to see me then want me to join them. And, while I'm playing with any band I will give them 100% so it will be mutually beneficial. So it's not like I'm just using them as a stepping stone for a better band because it will get them out in front of people as well so that when I do leave them for a better situation it will be easier for them to find a new drummer. I see this aspect of it like moving up in better job opportunities.

So at the moment I'm trying to be less picky about what band I join so I can at least get back out there playing live so I can promote myself more to the future potential bands and so I can raise my profile as a drummer.
    Last edited by Midnightmadness; 01-20-2016 at 02:10 AM.

User Info Menu

But it's one Im committed to for the long haul. I just need to find others who feel the same.
    Aye! there's the rub isn't it? Good Luck to you

and of course....

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Aye! there's the rub isn't it? Good Luck to you

and of course....

all the best...
    That is the hard part for sure. But I just have to keep clicking away until I find them. They are out there. It just may take time for me to find them. That's where my perseverance may be tested. But I have to pass that test if I'm going to be successful.

User Info Menu

You mentioned you are no spring chicken, just curious, how old are you? I am 52, I play still but just a weekend warrior now after spending the better part of adulthood as a full timer. I am guessing you are early 30's seeing that you are still optimistic about a career in metal. I would love to do a metal band, AV7X style, not death metal, because of the crappy vocals, but I don't pursue it, most of the bands are 30 and younger and would not even return my messages.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

With your commitment and your attitude, you can do it.
    I have friends that have your drive and they are now doing well as full-time musicians.

I also went to music school................and loved it.
    I was a pro-sound roadie for two years and worked many major tours across the USA.
    I knew that I would never adapt to that lifestyle for my career.
    I have done well in another form of a business career but my passion for music is still there and I play in a local club band for fun.

It hasn't always been smooth but right now things are great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Hey MidnightMadness! There's been lots of good advice already on this thread. The only thing I would reinforce is to have as many irons in the fire as possible. By that I mean you need to establish as many streams of revenue as possible. If everything hinges on one band, and that goes belly up, you're kinda screwed. And being in a band makes you vulnerable in that the fate of the band can be determined by anyone in that band, not just you.

Some suggestions (based on what my son has done the past several years to survive):

1) If you feel you could teach young students - then perhaps build up a clientele. It has to be with the understanding that you could be on the road at times, but many students / parents are ok with that.

2) Dance groups often look for a percussionist to provide live rhythms in their dance studios for their students to practice to. Not sure if there are any close to where you are but worth looking into

3) Part time ushering jobs at music halls, theatres, even sports arenas can help bring in some money when things are slow. Some places are quite flexible if you need time off. It helps to build a bit of a network with other ushers so that you can cover off for each other when needed

Hope this helps. It's not for the faint of heart but there is nothing better than following your heart, either. I wish you all the best!