Thread: Sabian Legacy Cymbal Stamp

User Info Menu

Default Sabian Legacy Cymbal Stamp

I've just noticed that my Sabian HHX Legacy 22" Heavy Ride doesn't have the Sabian logo stamped into the bronze. Could I be dealing with a fake cymbal of some sort? The hammering and the lathing is exactly as that of a Legacy Heavy Ride, however. Should I be concerned?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Legacy Cymbal Stamp

Check under a light at different angels. Sometimes it's there, but hardly stamped in the bronze. I haven't really heard of Sabian cymbals without stamps. Where did you get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've been checking all day long :D... Nowhere to be seen, though!
    I bought it used..
    Last edited by KevinVanRillaer; 01-23-2016 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Do people make fakes/replicas?

Anyways how clean are the logo? Do they look fresh haha

User Info Menu

They do look fresh, everything seems like it should be. Logos are the exact some of those of another Legacy Ride. I have never heard of counterfeit cymbals either, would seem way too costly to produce :D Though I'm still a bit worried, you never know...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVanRillaer View Post
    They do look fresh, everything seems like it should be. Logos are the exact some of those of another Legacy Ride. I have never heard of counterfeit cymbals either, would seem way too costly to produce :D Though I'm still a bit worried, you never know...
    Is there a signature written on the underside of the bell? The hand hammered cymbals should all have signatures by the artist that hammered them. My HH has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Is there a signature written on the underside of the bell? The hand hammered cymbals should all have signatures by the artist that hammered them. My HH has one.
    Cymbal companies don't do that anymore... :p None of my HHXs have signatures of the man with the hammer. My HHX Evolutions and Legacys have Dave Weckle Signatures (stamped) and my Paragon has a Neil Peart Signature..

User Info Menu

Entirely possible to have missed the stamping process. I have a Zildjian and a UFIP where it looks like the stamp didn't quite connect and there is only a trace.

all the best..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Entirely possible to have missed the stamping process. I have a Zildjian and a UFIP where it looks like the stamp didn't quite connect and there is only a trace.

all the best..
    I hope so! Thanks Kay Gee!

User Info Menu

Cymbal companies don't do that anymore... :p None of my HHXs have signatures of the man with the hammer. My HHX Evolutions and Legacys have Dave Weckle Signatures (stamped) and my Paragon has a Neil Peart Signature..
    I have a couple signed by THOR
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I have a couple signed by THOR
    Haha, a true master of the hammer!

User Info Menu

All of my HH cymbals are signed and the Artisan that I just bought is signed too, "Jed Kaye #1231". However, none of my HHX cymbals are signed.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    All of my HH cymbals are signed and the Artisan that I just bought is signed too, "Jed Kaye #1231". However, none of my HHX cymbals are signed.
    I guess it's a HH thing then

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I bought my HH Medium Ride new and it was not signed. And the stamp is very light. I've had several Zildjians where the stamp was barely a whisper on the bronze. I wouldn't worry about it being counterfeit.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Agreed GeeDee, I don't think it's counterfeit. This post just got me looking through my cymbals and I noticed a trend (in mine) that the HH are signed and HHX are not. My Artisan is too, but that's a different line. All of my cymbals are between five and less than one year old though (and one is about a month) so I thought I'd mention it to show that the cymbal makers definitely do still sign their product.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I think its pretty unlikely that your cymbal is a counterfeit. Anyone attempting it would have to either use a new blank or re-lathe a heavier donor cymbal (with a bell of the same size and profile) and have a master cymbal smith custom hammer it to replicate the appearance and sound of an original. The associated costs of producing a small number of cymbals this way would make them too expensive to counterfeit - there just wouldn't be any profit at the end of it.

I've heard that there have been a few counterfeit classic K rides (30s - 40s?) - but these are reputed to change hands for $1,500 - $2,000, it wouldn't make sense to produce fakes in instances when you can buy a good used genuine cymbal for a few hundred dollars.

User Info Menu

I emailed Sabian and sent them some photos. They told me it looks legit and that having no logo stamped into the bronze is rare, but possible. :-)

User Info Menu

I wouldn't worry. If it sounds good, enjoy playing it.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |