Thread: Rod Morgenstein

User Info Menu

Default Rod Morgenstein

Drummer: Rod Morgenstein

Main Style: Rock/Fusion

Main Band: Dixie Dregs, Winger, and Jazz Is Dead among others

Brief Summary: Rod began his career playing in the amazing rock instrumental band the Dixie Dregs while still a student at the University of Miami. Rod later joined the Steve Morse Band for a brief time. He then found his most commercial success in the band Winger. He is still drumming for them today. He also is a member of the Rudess/Morgenstein Project, Jazz Is Dead, Platypus, and Jelly Jam. Rod has produced drum instructional videos, worked as a clinician, and is a Professor of Percussion at Berklee College of Music.

Other Facts: The Dixie Dregs have been nominated for a Grammy 6 times. Rod won Modern Drummer's reader polls for Best Progressive Rock Drummer (5 years in a row) and Best All-Around Drummer (1999). He is also known not only for his incredible chops, but his obvious joy when drumming! Truly one of the nice guys in the drumming world.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rod Morgenstein

I really like his drumming in the 80s I remember reading about him a lot in modern drummer back then. I still have some Steve Morse vinyl LPs.

User Info Menu

He was a big influence on me when I was young. I loved the Dregs! And Rod had that permanent, infectious smile on his face when he played. Unusual but cool!

User Info Menu

Did he do the drumming for "Seventeen"?

Only Winger song I know and need to know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Did he do the drumming for "Seventeen"?

Only Winger song I know and need to know
    He did Spaz, but unfortunately that's the side of Winger that caught the brunt of the changeover to grunge. They are still at it and their last album wasn't bad at all. Rod became my favorite drummer when I first heard the drum solo in the song "Cruise Control" by the Dregs off of the album Bring Em Back Alive (my favorite Dregs album). Incredible drumming on that album. I've been able to meet him on 2 different occasions, both with the Dregs. I can remember being one of a group of about 10 drummers at a Dregs show back in the 90's cheering for Rod the whole time. The place was packed, but we all kinda migrated towards one another whilst air drumming We ended up on the side of the stage. He got a kick out of it! At the end of the show he came out of the warm up area, called us over, and gave us all a pair of his signature sticks, autographed them, then showed us around his incredible (left handed set up) Premier kit. That was a great night!

User Info Menu

^I'll for sure check out his work tonight then!

User Info Menu

Another great amazing drummer who influence a lot young drummers.

User Info Menu

Below is a link to one of the best double-bass drumming instruction videos you will ever see (IMHO).

Morgenstein shows how to practice a few fundamental DB patterns here...........they make sense and they all work very well............getting them to sound so smooth like he can (and at his speed) is the hard part..............you will also see his famous smile.

Requires only 8 minutes of your time to watch...............love this video lesson from RM :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEPIGVW91s
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Below is a link to one of the best double-bass drumming instruction videos you will ever see (IMHO).

Morgenstein shows how to practice a few fundamental DB patterns here...........they make sense and they all work very well............getting them to sound so smooth like he can (and at his speed) is the hard part..............you will also see his famous smile.

Requires only 8 minutes of your time to watch...............love this video lesson from RM :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEPIGVW91s
    Ricardo, I remember that video fondly. Of course, I can't do what he does, but I loved trying! Noticed your Gretsch icon. I am a new Gretsch owner and I love em! Renown RN1's. Anyway, love that others see the contributions Rod has, and is, making to drumming! Spaz, I think you'll like it. If ya want any more recommendations let me know. His work with Jordan Rudess (as a duo) is phenomenal as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wxmaggot View Post
    Ricardo, I remember that video fondly. Of course, I can't do what he does, but I loved trying! Noticed your Gretsch icon. I am a new Gretsch owner and I love em! Renown RN1's. Anyway, love that others see the contributions Rod has, and is, making to drumming!
    I have used the exercises in this video as a lesson plan when I am doing drills for double bass technique..............he teaches these licks in a simple way to which most drummers can relate.

I ordered 5 Gretsch USA shells in 1977; still gigging with them regularly.
    BTW..............during the summer of 2015, I got a personal tour of the Gretsch plant in SC...............everything still done by hand by only 13 highly-skilled employees !
    Enjoy the Renowns.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)