Thread: LP matador, Meinl Free-ride or Remo Crown mid-range bongo selection help

User Info Menu

Default LP matador, Meinl Free-ride or Remo Crown mid-range bongo selection help

Hello

First of all I'd like to thank those who've written so much already on bongos here, I've learned a lot.

I've chosen to start studying percussion to increase my own musicality as a string player because I believe rhythm is the most important aspect of much music.

I've settled on the bongos, and have been learning on my own. This weekend I tried a set of Matador (169 €) at a percussion shop (he had one other pair which was about double the price), I was surprised at how heavy they were, but the sound impressed me and had all the drums in the joint resonating and ringing out pretty well. I've also read good things about Meinl free-ride bongos (6 3/4" 8") which are about 30 euros cheaper, but I'd have to order them online. I had read some good things about the Remo Crowns as well, but I just saw a post here back in 2011 saying that the synthetic heads had issues.

The instrument will mainly for my private study, but who knows... Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again
    Scott

User Info Menu

Default Re: LP matador, Meinl Free-ride or Remo Crown mid-range bongo selection help

I currently use the LP Matador wood bongos. I got them for free with busted heads and replaced them with synthetics, so I can't comment on the quality of the skin heads they come with, but the Remo heads really sound good on these (I believe mine are Fiberskyn). It's easy to tune them up to get the classic high snappy bongo tones, and they are very well made. They're heavy, but I mount them on a stand anyway so that's not really a problem for me. They also feel comfortable to play with the synthetic heads, as you're not playing too close to the rims.
    Meinl makes really awesome stuff. I haven't tried any of their Free Ride bongos but I don't think you can go wrong with those either. They may be harder to mount to a stand if you want to do that, but I'm not sure.

User Info Menu

Default Re: LP matador, Meinl Free-ride or Remo Crown mid-range bongo selection help

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

User Info Menu

I purchased the Remo Crowns about 5-6 years ago. I use them about once a week at a local open mic night. They are always miced, and seem to sound good in a live setting. I also purchased a heavy-duty stand for them, which in retrospect was a very good idea.