Thread: Which is the best of this bunch, for the money?

User Info Menu

Default Which is the best of this bunch, for the money?

Hi,

I'm considering getting one of the following drum kits, but I can't decide which one to go for. I'm going to be using it for occasional gigging and band practice etc. A ride with a bell is essential and I also want to attach a double pedal.

I'm on a budget, so I've listed them in order of price, from lowest to highest. They are the following;

Yahama DTX 430K,
    or 450K (not entirely sure what the difference is between the two models to be honest).

Alesis DM10 mesh or one of the DM10 variations, studio etc (again, not entirely sure about the differences between the various models), apart from mesh heads on some of them. But is that it?

Yamaha DTX522K,

Roland TD11K,

Alesis Crimson,

Yamaha DTX542K,

or finally, the Roland TD11KV (with all mesh heads).

To be honest, I'm leaning towards an Alesis DM10 Studio kit, as I can get one new for £570. I like the fact it has Mylar heads, an extra trigger pad and an extra cymbal. But does anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't get it?

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which is the best of this bunch, for the money?

I can only comment on the Yamaha Kits. If you look at the frame of the 430/450 you will see it is limited. What I mean
    by that is you can't fully space the pads out like you would if you were sitting behind an acoustic drum kit.

Think about the placement of each drum pad. It's nice to be able to adjust the frame so the Drum Pad placement feels
    more natural. Best bet is to to go to your local music store and see what feels good. My Kit is more like the DTX522K.
    Last edited by mdee; 02-01-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen

User Info Menu

I don't know all these models. My two cents :
    - Avoid rubber pads! Only mesh heads if you don't want physical problems in the long term.
    - Regarding electronic kits, Roland is considered the safe bet.
    Gretsch Renown mapple (fusion) + Ludwig black galaxy Acrolite snare
    Tama Silverstar (rock)
    Jobeky custom electronic kit with 2Box module
    Cymbals : Paiste Signature Dark Energy HH, Sabian AAX ride and splash, Zildjian K and A crashes, HH, splashes and rides

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    I don't know all these models. My two cents :
    - Avoid rubber pads! Only mesh heads if you don't want physical problems in the long term.
    I agree. I have the Yamaha DTXpressIV pads and after about an hour playing on them, my elbows and wrists ache. Although I never played on mesh heads, I've read they seem to replicate a real drum head the best?

User Info Menu

I've never had any problems playing on rubber heads. Personally, I find mesh heads too bouncy, like hitting a trampoline.

With edrums, you should really consider the module the most, and from what I've read, Yamaha and Roland make the best modules. My advice, try both, see if you prefer the rubber or mesh heads more. Yamaha also makes this special foam rubber for it's heads, I have it for my snare, it's the best between rubber and mesh in my opinion.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Rubber pads can really damage your hand in the long term. It's no coincidence if they disappeared in the newest electronic drum kits nowadays.

Mesh heads are really bouncy to my experience. They cannot really duplicate the same feeling of a real drumhead. I consider an electronic drumkit as a tool to practice when I'm not on my acoustic kit, so it doesn't bother me that much.

I tried the silicone heads from Yamaha but I didn't like it. The feeling was kinda weird on it.
    Tama Silverstar (rock)
    Cymbals : Paiste Signature Dark Energy HH, Sabian AAX ride and splash, Zildjian K and A crashes, HH, splashes and rides

User Info Menu

So which drum kit did you decide to get?

User Info Menu

Roland TD11K all day everyday.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Rubber pads can really damage your hand in the long term. It's no coincidence if they disappeared in the newest electronic drum kits nowadays.

Mesh heads are really bouncy to my experience. They cannot really duplicate the same feeling of a real drumhead. I consider an electronic drumkit as a tool to practice when I'm not on my acoustic kit, so it doesn't bother me that much.

I tried the silicone heads from Yamaha but I didn't like it. The feeling was kinda weird on it.
    Interesting, perhaps that means I should practice more. That being said, my snare is the silicone, so maybe that's why I haven't noticed. I will also add my teacher has a lower end Alesis, and he hasn't had any issues with his hands.

Don't be surprized if you see more ekits being played instead of akits in the future, one thing DJs over here are sstarting to wake up to is that electronic music is greatly enhanced by live drumming (mostly percussion), so who knows what we can find on the horizon
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Don't be surprized if you see more ekits being played instead of akits in the future, one thing DJs over here are sstarting to wake up to is that electronic music is greatly enhanced by live drumming (mostly percussion), so who knows what we can find on the horizon
    I used to think that too. But these last years I'm not so sure anymore. There is a problem with the feeling of rubber/mesh heads and cymbals that is well known. And with the sound (but it's getting better with new modules, especially the 2Box concept for instance). BUT there is also a bigger problem IMHO which is the nuances you get. Electronic pads and cymbals pretty much work on a ON/OFF system and it's actually impossible to simulate all the nuances of dynamics and feels that you can get on real heads and cymbals. This has been bothering me a lot for the last months even for practicing. If I want to work on my precision on the snare sounds or my ride paterns it's quite difficult (impossible?) with an electronic kit. Just my opinion of course! :-)
    Tama Silverstar (rock)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response folks! Much appreciated.

In the end, I opted for the Alesis D10 Studio. It really boiled down to the money. I did consider spending the extra £330 for the Roland TD 11KV. But then I thought I'd probably end up sat there thinking 'Is this really worth £330 more than the DM10???'. Also... Mylar heads, extra cymbal and drum pad. Don't think you can go wrong at that price. And I have read only positive things about it to be honest.

Anyway, thanks again

User Info Menu

I used to think that too. But these last years I'm not so sure anymore. There is a problem with the feeling of rubber/mesh heads and cymbals that is well known. And with the sound (but it's getting better with new modules, especially the 2Box concept for instance). BUT there is also a bigger problem IMHO which is the nuances you get. Electronic pads and cymbals pretty much work on a ON/OFF system and it's actually impossible to simulate all the nuances of dynamics and feels that you can get on real heads and cymbals. This has been bothering me a lot for the last months even for practicing. If I want to work on my precision on the snare sounds or my ride paterns it's quite difficult (impossible?) with an electronic kit. Just my opinion of course! :-)
    I really like what comes out of the jams me and my guitar player buddy create whenever we get together in his very small jam room. I bought him a TASCAM DP-2 for his 50th birthday and we've been plugging into it for silent jam sessions for a couple of years now but the latency issues on my old DTXpressIII module kill it for me.

User Info Menu

Anything with a kv on the end gets my vote if your gonna play live. I would only go otherwise if you dont have the funds.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters