Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tunebot vs drumdial

User Info Menu

Default Re: tunebot vs drumdial

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    An alternative reply to that question is "No, but if you hum it I can play it"
    lol... awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You may find this hard to believe Rick but I've experienced both. The first was an artist gig where the road manager would stand in front of the band with a metronome in his hand (he was an a-hole). The latter was a guy, fellow drummer, that came up to me on a jazz gig and said, (and I've probably told this story before), "Do you know there's a wrinkle in your kick drum?" I said, "Yea, how does it sound?" and he replied, "Oh, it sounds great but..." I said, OK then I don't have any problem with it." He seemed discontent with my answer. He didn't know this but I spent a great deal of time tuning it before the show and the only way I could get a good kick sound for that room was to leave some of the wrinkle in there.

Tom, nothing that happens to musicians, especially drummers surprises me. I just need to know if I need a HazMat suit, a space suit, or a rather large distance between me and the other drummer.

The guy with metronome in hand would have left with it in a different location where he could have timed his............................................... .................................................. .......well, I think you can figure that 1 out.

Other drummers opinions I just took with the proverbial grain of salt.

User Info Menu

they are helpful when recording under extremely sensitive mics and when being ocd

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

I don't use it every time I tune, but If I am going into a studio and am in the room I am going to record in, Why not get everything singing perfectly. I have never had the engineer get mad that my drums are perfectly in tune. There are WAY too many gadgets/gizmos to take drummers cash, but I think there are way too many drummers who have awful sounding drums too that could use one of these.

I can tune a guitar with a piano, or by using the fret on the string above, but they sure sell a lot of guitar tuners.

Most gigs I play I am hammring the drums pretty hard with distorted guitars cranked. It might be the OCD as I like things in tune for me not the audience. haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I have never had the engineer get mad that my drums are perfectly in tune.
    There's no such thing as a drum that is perfectly in tune. I keep trying to learn you that but you're a little hard-headed!

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    There's no such thing as a drum that is perfectly in tune. I keep trying to learn you that but you're a little hard-headed!

Ok, in tune with its self. As in each lug perfectly in tune on the respecting head. There are many available options to tune any drum yes. There is also no right and wrong in changing t the relation of the batter to the reso head.

I mean the reso head perfectly in tune with itself and the batter perfectly in tune with itself. You still need some knowledge on tuning to adjust this for a specific result, Unless you tune everything to the exact same. I personally like my batters a bit lower than my reso.

User Info Menu

I've been using a tune-bot for 3 years and love it. Store my preferred settings in it for multiple kits to get repeatable levels quickly.
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic