Thread: Sabian XSR

User Info Menu

Default Sabian XSR

Talked to one of the local drum shop guys that just came back from NAMM.
    They didn't display the new XSR 20 line on the floor ,but up in a separate room.
    His opinion after hearing them is they are very nice.
    He's got some on order and I'm curious to hear them, as the XS line was pretty decent sounding as it was.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian XSR

Does the " R" stand for raw bell or racing or?? I don't mean to be snarky and I could do research.. Just curious. I like the XS series. I just grabbed a few SR2s. Really liking Sabian.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

^hahaha R for Racing... sounds like I need to swap to these cymbals!

User Info Menu

Xperimental
    Street
    Racing

They come with a chrome exhaust tip, fog lights and special logo graphics
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Xperimental
    Street
    Racing

They come with a chrome exhaust tip, fog lights and special logo graphics
    Do they also have lowered suspension?
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    Does the " R" stand for raw bell or racing or?? I don't mean to be snarky and I could do research.. Just curious. I like the XS series. I just grabbed a few SR2s. Really liking Sabian.
    Got me wondering as the XS line is as close to the AA line as you can get.

Any better and the AA line will be cannibalized.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I actually prefer the original XS20 line to these. From the ones I've heard they seem brighter with more sustain. There are some good cymbals in there, for sure, but certain ones really sounded like B8s to me (14" crash was the most memorable in this category). The larger cymbals sound better, but honestly I'd stick with either the regular XS20's, or better yet, SR2's if you can pick them out. Both are a better value in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Just had a quick search around the UK sites for the XSR range. They seem to be priced at practically the same point as the AAX and AA series - generally only about £5 - 10 less depending on the size of the cymbal!

I hope this is just a case of stores asking the full list price to see how many people who absolutely must have the latest offerings are willing to stump up the money and the prices will drop to something similar to the old XS20 range.

If they are intended to be priced similar to AA/AAX cymbals then I don't see how Sabian can class them as 'affordable', unless they mean affordable compared to HH/HHX/Artisan/Vault series etc.

Perhaps the R means rip-off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Just had a quick search around the UK sites for the XSR range. They seem to be priced at practically the same point as the AAX and AA series - generally only about £5 - 10 less depending on the size of the cymbal!

I hope this is just a case of stores asking the full list price to see how many people who absolutely must have the latest offerings are willing to stump up the money and the prices will drop to something similar to the old XS20 range.

If they are intended to be priced similar to AA/AAX cymbals then I don't see how Sabian can class them as 'affordable', unless they mean affordable compared to HH/HHX/Artisan/Vault series etc.

I noticed that as well. Honestly, the AA and AAX lines sound miles better. If the prices for XSR stay this high, I can't imagine them selling well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post

Affordable is relative,Pai$te has their Signature Precision line as being affordable too.
    Hi hats priced $400 bucks ,only $14 bucks cheaper than a set of K customs.
    Soo....

User Info Menu

I'm a little cynical about this one. The old XS20s were priced at a mid point between basic B8 cymbals and the machine hammered AA/AAX 'pro' cymbals. To retain the XS description, claim they are a budget offering but price them at 95% of the asking price of 'pro' AA and AAX is a contradiction.

User Info Menu

Got to play a few today.

Impression is they are a clone of the Zildjian A Customs.

Lighter lathing ,larger bells and a heavier feel are an apt description

The 18 inch crash I played required a fairly hard stroke to get it to open up,so more for high volume gigs.

20 inch ride was glassy with a bell about twice the size of the old XS ride.

Not a fan of the A Customs ,not a fan of these.

User Info Menu

Except, at least in my experience, A Customs open up much easier and sound much more professional. A lot of the A Custom models are very thin. The XSR's feel more like the cheaper lines to me -- more stiff and you need to hit them harder as mentioned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Got to play a few today.

The 18 inch crash I played required a fairly hard stroke to get it to open up,so more for high volume gigs.

Glad to hear of the larger bell it really needed it. Sad to hear it's a thinner lighter lathing though. I'll stick with my XS20's it sounds like

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    Do they also have lowered suspension?
    No, just a ground effects skirt.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Got to play a few today.

I finally got to play a few XSRs, too, and I completely agree with your assessment. I think Sabian made a foul move on these. All of those I played sounded thin, glassy, and one-dimensional - not at all a good progression from the XS-20s. It's harsh to compare them to B8s, but that's what I hear in them. Very disappointing. But they'll sell a million of them - guaranteed.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I recently switched over to all Sabian ..I picked up an 18" XSR fast crash.. LOVE IT!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH