Thread: Need help with stick bags

User Info Menu

Default Need help with stick bags

So I have been looking at his ahead armour case tower stick bag:

I was wondering whether it was any good.
    online, i have had a look at it and i like all the features, but i can't find any reviews on it, so i'm not sure if it will be good quality. Has anyone had any experience with ahead cases, or have any other reasonably priced stick bag reccomendations?
    Thanks for your help.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help with stick bags

What are you shopping for in a stick bag? What do you currently have?
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

i currently have a protection racket deluxe stick bag, but it is now too small. i am looking for something large, and space for many sticks. it would be good to have a standing stick bag.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Will this hold more gear then a large stick bag? and can you hang it from a floor tom or H/H stand for quick access. If you have to place it on the floor at the side of your throne, a cheap plastic vase or picnic mug will do the same job.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 02-13-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Idiocy

User Info Menu

Or maybe a Tupperware spaghetti container?

User Info Menu

I use the Reunion Blues large leather stick bag. Plenty big and very well made. It doesn't stand though.

User Info Menu

Pringles can!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't own this stick bag, but I do own an Ahead cymbal bag. If this stick bag is anything like my cymbal bag it will be a very sturdy and high quality item.

User Info Menu

Yes, cheap and it works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Will this hold more gear then a large stick bag? and can you hang it from a floor tom or H/H stand for quick access. If you have to place it on the floor at the side of your throne, a cheap plastic vase or picnic mug will do the same job.
    it can either stand up, or be put on the floor tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I use the Reunion Blues large leather stick bag. Plenty big and very well made. It doesn't stand though.
    Looks very nice, but very expensive!
    I'm sure that's for a reason, though.

User Info Menu

Just get one with a good zipper.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Whatever you end up with I don't recommend hanging it on the floor tom, I find doing so does not allow the drum to fully resonate. I used to have mine on my 16" floor tom and it never sounded as "live" as my 14" until I removed the stick bag. Now I use a stick holder that clamps to my hi-hat stand.

User Info Menu

Lots of cases and zippered pouches available at local resale stores.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    So I have been looking at his ahead armour case tower stick bag:

I was wondering whether it was any good.
    online, i have had a look at it and i like all the features, but i can't find any reviews on it, so i'm not sure if it will be good quality. Has anyone had any experience with ahead cases, or have any other reasonably priced stick bag reccomendations?
    Thanks for your help.
    Yea this looks like a very sturdy bag . I don't need something that big but if I did I would get this one .
    I use the Ahead Armor OGIO hardware bags . I have two . Very sturdy , very good zippers . They may not look it at first but they are pretty tuff and I have no worries with them .
    I think this would be a very good choice .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Yea this looks like a very sturdy bag . I don't need something that big but if I did I would get this one .
    I use the Ahead Armor OGIO hardware bags . I have two . Very sturdy , very good zippers . They may not look it at first but they are pretty tuff and I have no worries with them .
    I think this would be a very good choice .
    Rudy .
    Thanks for the advice Jedi , i think i'm going to go for it, if i don't like it, it's not too expensive so not a big loss. also i've heard good things aboud ahead armour cases so it should be good.

User Info Menu

I use one of these and one of these.......perfect.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Curious. How many sticks do you figure on needing for one show? I only carry the pair I'm using, a spare pair of the same sticks (in case of droppage or loss) one pair of wire brushes and a pair of mallets for cymbal effects.

ALL THE BEST...

User Info Menu

i've ordered the ahead armour tower. Should come by the end of this week. I will post pics and put a review up when i get it.

User Info Menu

I have one that's very similar, the Ahead Armor Stick Silo. it's pretty much the same concept, but triangular. I love it. It holds plenty of sticks, it'll hang from a floor tom or stand upright by itself, it's sturdy, and has a good zipper. It has a couple small pockets on the sides for a drum key, moongel, etc. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Don't own that, but, I do have many other Ahead products and they are all made well. If it does what you're wanting it to do, then you probably can't go wrong.

User Info Menu

I use Ahead bags for my shells. Great zippers and sturdy construction.

User Info Menu

During the '70s in Dallas, Texas, there was a small mom & pop drum shop called B&S Percussion.............it was on Oaklawn Avenue.
    There was some hippy that made leather goods that would peddle his stuff there; he made these awesome heavy leather stick bags.

I bought a stick bag that guy made in 1976 and it is in perfect condition still today..............40 years old.
    Heavy & smooth leather with 4 "slots" for sticks.................I usually go to a gig with 3 pair of sticks and my tympani mallets.
    And, yes, it does hang on my floor tom................no problem.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)