Thread: Question about the SPD-30 Octapad

User Info Menu

Default Question about the SPD-30 Octapad

Short version: Can you edit the pitch of the bass/synth/pitched instruments and assign those to pads in order to play a melody?

Long version: I see the Octapad has voices such as Glockenspiel C. Can you assign that voice to each pad then tune each one to the desired note, allowing you to play a melody? Example: Using the SPD-30 as a poor man's MalletKat to play the glock parts in Spirit of Radio. Youtube videos tell me you can, I'd just like to hear it from the horse's mouth before I buy one.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about the SPD-30 Octapad

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    Short version: Can you edit the pitch of the bass/synth/pitched instruments and assign those to pads in order to play a melody?

Long version: I see the Octapad has voices such as Glockenspiel C. Can you assign that voice to each pad then tune each one to the desired note, allowing you to play a melody? Example: Using the SPD-30 as a poor man's MalletKat to play the glock parts in Spirit of Radio. Youtube videos tell me you can, I'd just like to hear it from the horse's mouth before I buy one.
    Yes, the SPD-30 has instrument choices that can do this, and editing choices to get things "basically" in that neighborhood. See photos below. You would go to a user kit (though you could also save over one of the undesired default kits, making sure you cleared everything out before saving over). On that kit, the desired instrument (Glockenspiel, etc.) would be saved to the desired pads. Then you would go to the edit tab and adjust tuning. May take quite a bit of tweaking to get it to closely match what you want, but with a good ear, you can do it. You may want to experiment with instruments like marimba, etc. Effect parameters will be key. Glockenspiel may not be "the one," essentially, for you after you experiment.

Instrument choice

Go from instrument to "edit" tab

Edit Tuning, etc.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks! This is an AWESOME step-by-step. I really appreciate you taking the time to go through it for me.

User Info Menu

A pleasure. That's why we are all here together. Let us know how everything turns out!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

It's working great. I'm trying out different layers just to give it a little depth. I was able to set it up in just a few minutes. Thanks, Tadman!

User Info Menu

Awesome, SuperFortress. Post vid if you get the chance, or just let us know how it worked out performance wise. I am still tweaking mine for performance use--getting the foot switches right. Simple is definitely key, but the most recent software update made some things easier in that regard.

User Info Menu

uh-oh...........I can feel the G.A.S. coming on

I want one!

User Info Menu

Ok, ok. Take a deeeeep breath. Clear your mind for a mo. Then, savor the gear acquisition anticipation. Check it out for a while, read the reviews, watch vids, download the manual. Unless you already did all that.

User Info Menu

Now I'm just getting downright silly with this thing. I'm using a kick pedal as a bass drum that only goes to the in-ear monitors. That way I can count off songs or tap a tempo without the crowd hearing/seeing it.

User Info Menu

That's the way...