Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Cymbal Series

User Info Menu

Default Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Cymbal Series

For some, I know this won't be your "cup of tea" but I got bad G.A.S. building up for these cymbals. I know for sure some will hate the look but I love the fact that these cymbals sound so dry.

As far as the appearance factor and the "eye candy" appeal, I dig it. It looks as though they've been buried in someones backyard for years but more importantly, they sound fantastic to me.

I'd be interested in your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Last edited by late8; 03-01-2016 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Cymbal Series

I saw a kit on IG today using those cymbals it looked sweet all said and done!

User Info Menu

I've been jonesing for those, as well, out of curiosity.

When you get and chance to use them for a while, send them my way and I'll compare notes with you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Beautiful cymbals. The Chinas and splashes are incredible! Not too fond of the rides and crashes though. They're more of effect cymbals to me, but that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I saw a kit on IG today using those cymbals it looked sweet all said and done!
    Do you guys carry this line at your music store Zack? I have no idea what they cost but I know they ain't going to be cheap right?. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've been jonesing for those, as well, out of curiosity.

When you get and chance to use them for a while, send them my way and I'll compare notes with you.
    Absolutely Mark, I'll send ya everything I got!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Beautiful cymbals. The Chinas and splashes are incredible! Not too fond of the rides and crashes though. They're more of effect cymbals to me, but that's just my opinion.
    Thanks Mike, you're opinion means a lot. I might have same opinion since I've only heard the official YouTube clip produced on behalf of Meinl. I'm going down to my local mom and pops music store to see what kind a deal they can make on 20" or 21" ride, 14" hats, 16" and 18" crash and maybe a 16" or 17" china.

User Info Menu

I'll love their tone, but it'd wouldn't fit in at all with most of my purposes (which absolutely sucks). I have to think reasonably...will the harmonica players want to hear this while they play some Little Walter?

User Info Menu

They, along with the Dark and Vintage series, are some of the best cymbals around.
    I've played quite a few of the cymbals in this line and have enjoyed every one. I own both 10" and 12" splashes, 16" and 17" crashes and 20" china. The 17" and 20" are for sale because I have too many cymbals, but they're all great.
    I'd also check out the sub-series, Extra Dry Dual...haven't gotten to try these in person yet but they seem pretty cool.

User Info Menu

I definitely like what I'm hearing. I'd need to play them in person but they seem very similar to the 23" Istanbul I use as my main ride.

User Info Menu

Not a big fan of the look but some that I've heard recorded sound amazing. I've discovered though that sitting behind the kit and standing in front of it makes a huge difference. I'd say if you can go somewhere to try them out, not only play them but have a drummer friend play them while you stand back and listen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    I'll love their tone, but it'd wouldn't fit in at all with most of my purposes (which absolutely sucks). I have to think reasonably...will the harmonica players want to hear this while they play some Little Walter?
    Love this response. Cymbals shouldn't be only about pleasing drummers but about what works best for the instrumentation around them.

I too, have seen the sound files on these cymbals. I like the sound of them, but I think if your band plays a lot of classic rock and top 40 etc... these wouldn't work all that well.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Good point Zack. I'd be very selective in cymbals when jamming with my Blues buddies. Vintage Zildjian A 20" ping ride and a set of vintage Zildjian thin 15" hats is usually my go to set up. This may be a little brighter than what most drummers would choose for Blues but it seems to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    They, along with the Dark and Vintage series, are some of the best cymbals around.
    I've played quite a few of the cymbals in this line and have enjoyed every one. I own both 10" and 12" splashes, 16" and 17" crashes and 20" china. The 17" and 20" are for sale because I have too many cymbals, but they're all great.
    I'd also check out the sub-series, Extra Dry Dual...haven't gotten to try these in person yet but they seem pretty cool.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I must make my way down to my music store to hear these cymbals in person. Also appreciate the heads up on the sub-series Extral Dry Dual.

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I definitely like what I'm hearing. I'd need to play them in person but they seem very similar to the 23" Istanbul I use as my main ride.
    23" Istanbul ride? Nice! Thanks for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    Not a big fan of the look but some that I've heard recorded sound amazing. I've discovered though that sitting behind the kit and standing in front of it makes a huge difference. I'd say if you can go somewhere to try them out, not only play them but have a drummer friend play them while you stand back and listen
    You're absolutely correct. The sound from the throne is much different from out front. I find myself liking the tone much better from out front than I do from behind the kit. And as far as the look, the half polished and the half non-polished cymbals were not used in the YouTube clip I posted so I'm curious to see how they sound but as far as the rest of the lot, I know many favor the look and the sound of a nicely polished cymbal but the rusty old look intrigues me.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Love this response. Cymbals shouldn't be only about pleasing drummers but about what works best for the instrumentation around them.

I too, have seen the sound files on these cymbals. I like the sound of them, but I think if your band plays a lot of classic rock and top 40 etc... these wouldn't work all that well.

all the best...
    Cool man. I'm headed for the dark side of the cymbal spectrum. I need a ride that's "moody", a bit washy but not too thin sounding like Benny Greb's Sand Ride series but more of a heavier sound that you can still crash. The entire line up in the YouTube video sounded fantastic to me. Maybe that's where I'll start my hunt....

User Info Menu

They are probably best with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio

sorry Rich. They do look pretty cool though
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    They are probably best with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio

sorry Rich. They do look pretty cool though
    Good one slinky...had to think about it for a few.

User Info Menu

Sticker shock: $1,600-$1,700 before state tax (8.5%)

Last edited by late8; 03-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I recently got a 19" thin crash and it has an amazing, thunderous crash and a good ride sound as well. The only possible flaw is the bell which is too washy. I really like with either a bit of tape on the bottom or a sizzle chain on top.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    I recently got a 19" thin crash and it has an amazing, thunderous crash and a good ride sound as well. The only possible flaw is the bell which is too washy. I really like with either a bit of tape on the bottom or a sizzle chain on top.
    Wow....I've got a few 19" crash cymbals by Zildjian and they sound good. I just can't imagine how great yours sound. Thanks for the input lukesplat12!

User Info Menu

I think Mike Johnston plays these or something similar. There's actually apre-pack. All his video I've seen they sound great

User Info Menu

Yeah, his signature ride cymbal is in this series. 21" Extra Dry Transition Ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I don't know what your tastes in cymbals are, late8, but you might wanna look into more mixing the extra drys and the meinl vintage line. Looking at your setup here I would suggest a vintage crash in place of one of those and maybe a medium 22" ride to get more ping but still with some crashability. Just my 2cents.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

my store is not a Meinl dealer as of yet but at the beginning of the year we started talking with the company working on becoming one. Hardest is the costs to actually be a dealer.

You have to pay in and buy so much inventory right off the bat and are required to sell so much every month/year etc.

With the new store we are pretty hard on money right now as the owner stuck everything into rebuilding and moving into this new store. So it will be a little time before we financially get back on our feet. The store is like smoke and mirrors as we're hurting now financially. But it's been worth it as sales are up more than ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    I don't know what your tastes in cymbals are, late8, but you might wanna look into more mixing the extra drys and the meinl vintage line. Looking at your setup here I would suggest a vintage crash in place of one of those and maybe a medium 22" ride to get more ping but still with some crashability. Just my 2cents.
    Thanks luke. I'll check those out too. I appreciate the feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    my store is not a Meinl dealer as of yet but at the beginning of the year we started talking with the company working on becoming one. Hardest is the costs to actually be a dealer.

You have to pay in and buy so much inventory right off the bat and are required to sell so much every month/year etc.

With the new store we are pretty hard on money right now as the owner stuck everything into rebuilding and moving into this new store. So it will be a little time before we financially get back on our feet. The store is like smoke and mirrors as we're hurting now financially. But it's been worth it as sales are up more than ever.
    Your situation sounds similar to my favorite indie music store in my town. It's a small mom and pops chain which had three stores within a 200 mile radius of each other.

The owner finally closed the least productive store and kept two out of the three remaining stores open. The owner told me he's on a "quick buy" 90 day interest free consignment deal with his vendors. He's held harmless of any interest charges for 90 days on large ticket items such as drum kits but has to buy it outright to avoid the consignment fees and interest charges.

User Info Menu

They sound awesome, just wouldn't fit in with most except the jazz end of things or if you're going out there with it.

I'm not one for the bright A sound, but it is prevalent in the old blues records. I like the somewhat washier sound (which A's had and K's). A's were just all over the place so y'know! I like some trashiness, so that's that!

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Good point Zack. I'd be very selective in cymbals when jamming with my Blues buddies. Vintage Zildjian A 20" ping ride and a set of vintage Zildjian thin 15" hats is usually my go to set up. This may be a little brighter than what most drummers would choose for Blues but it seems to work for me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I must make my way down to my music store to hear these cymbals in person. Also appreciate the heads up on the sub-series Extral Dry Dual.

23" Istanbul ride? Nice! Thanks for chiming in.

You're absolutely correct. The sound from the throne is much different from out front. I find myself liking the tone much better from out front than I do from behind the kit. And as far as the look, the half polished and the half non-polished cymbals were not used in the YouTube clip I posted so I'm curious to see how they sound but as far as the rest of the lot, I know many favor the look and the sound of a nicely polished cymbal but the rusty old look intrigues me.

Cool man. I'm headed for the dark side of the cymbal spectrum. I need a ride that's "moody", a bit washy but not too thin sounding like Benny Greb's Sand Ride series but more of a heavier sound that you can still crash. The entire line up in the YouTube video sounded fantastic to me. Maybe that's where I'll start my hunt....

User Info Menu

As a follow up to an earlier post, I was able to try out some Extra Dry Dual cymbals today as well as hear them from the audience perspective.
    18" 20" 22" and 15" hats

They are still really dark, but have more projection than most darker cymbals, with a little more shimmer and sustain compared to the regular Extra Dry line. If you like these sounds but feel the regular Extra Dry cymbals are more of an "effect," try these.
    From the audience they didn't sound like effects at all, just normal dark crashes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    As a follow up to an earlier post, I was able to try out some Extra Dry Dual cymbals today as well as hear them from the audience perspective.
    18" 20" 22" and 15" hats

They are still really dark, but have more projection than most darker cymbals, with a little more shimmer and sustain compared to the regular Extra Dry line. If you like these sounds but feel the regular Extra Dry cymbals are more of an "effect," try these.
    From the audience they didn't sound like effects at all, just normal dark crashes.
    Thank you very much for this suggestion. I'll go check them out!