Thread: Compact/Cheap Triggers?

User Info Menu

Default Compact/Cheap Triggers?

Hello,

So I've recently began using the Roland TM 2 Trigger module for a function band but I'm struggling to find compact and cheap triggers. I'm currently using the pads from my Yamaha DTX plorer kit but there a bit heavy and difficult to carry around.

In a perfect world I'd buy the Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad as that would be nice and compact but I'm afraid money isn't stretching that far at present.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Compact/Cheap Triggers?

Hi Markis,
    So you are not looking for acoustic drum triggers, but compact external triggers to use with the TM2 to add effects, augment your drum kit options for function gigs?

There are folks on the forum who likely could walk you through making your own if that is your preference. You could also add some bar triggers or some such, which can fit in a side zip pocket. Depending on cash flow, you can add something like the Roland Bt1, below. Pintech makes similar, but available at less cost (see Nimrod example below, which is shorter than their other option). There are a number of options out there. For the "unusual side," Pintech even makes critter triggers of different shapes that mount on top of cymbals (just for a laugh, included at end). For these types of things, if new, ranging from a little under $100 to about $50 (not counting the duck....)

Some brick and mortar music shops/drum shops carry the Roland and Pintech nimrod---so you can check stick sound to see if it is what you want. You also want to check on mounting options that are best for you, I have the Roland Bt1, and it has multiple mounting options.

[IMG][/IMG]

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I would second the BT-1 trigger from Roland. Fits nicely with a standard cowbell mount, and you can beat the crap out of it. I've used the one I own for about 8 months and have had no issues with dependability. I picked up the one I own for about $50 USD used from a buddy. He said that he owed it for about 6 months. There are numerous videos about making your own, but I'm not that electronically inclined....

Drum on!
    You know why? "Because I'm the drummer"

Drums:
    Roland TD-25 KV
    Vic Firth sticks

User Info Menu

Awesome! Thanks very much for the info guys