Thread: pick of the litter

User Info Menu

Default pick of the litter

Just wondering. Like to hear stories about anything you have ever bought that has given well over 100% satisfaction. You know what I mean? Just imagine that one day at the factory, of the dozens of units that came down the assembly line, there was that one that was just absolutely perfect and issue free. (and you OWN it!!)

It could be (but not limited to) any drums or musical instruments.

I'll go first...

The Martin Shenandoah D35 acoustic guitar I bought in or about 1989-90. (a present to myself after the end of my first marriage)

At the time I payed about $1200 for it. It has absolutely satisfied in every way and I could never see parting with it, even though it is ragged and worn and showing her age.

It has been with me all over the place and even one time, after my brothers wedding, it was in a single vehicle rollover accident. I found it in the middle of the night in dense woods in it's case and get this... Still in perfect tune!!

It's just so beautiful, easy to play, tunes up easily and stays in tune. The tone just seems to ooze up out of the wood. Even with old strings. Not a buzz on the neck anywhere even to this day. A pro guitarist friend of mine back in Canada used to borrow it for recording sessions.

A total winner, and Lord knows I've had some bummers over the years.

Let me know what you got!

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: pick of the litter

I'll go with a vehicle. 2012 F250 superb 8' bed 4x4 towing package heavy duty beast purchased it in August 2012 for 32,500 and it listed for 48,ooo it is every thing you could ask for in a truck.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^^.....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I have had a GE alarm clock radio I bought brand new in 1994 when in the Navy. I still have it after all these years and all these places I have lived and it still wakes me up just about every single morning since then. Lord knows I have abused it, especially the snooze button but that thing has never had a problem.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I bought a Behringer B208d powered speaker for a PA system. It only has an 8 inch speaker. But it sounds very good. I'm very happy with it, been using it for 4 years now.

User Info Menu

My current car - an ex rep-mobile Ford Mondeo 2.0 GLX I bought in 2006 at 5 years old in 2006 from a 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' dealership for £2,795.

So far the only thing it has required other than routine fluids and filters is a pair of suspension bushes and a single hose for the coolant system. This was the only time I've had to pay a mechanic to work on the car as I don't own spring compressors!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    My current car - an ex rep-mobile Ford Mondeo 2.0 GLX I bought in 2006 at 5 years old in 2006 from a 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' dealership for £2,795.

So far the only thing it has required other than routine fluids and filters is a pair of suspension bushes and a single hose for the coolant system. This was the only time I've had to pay a mechanic to work on the car as I don't own spring compressors!
    excellent

all the best...

User Info Menu

91 Chevy cavalier.
    Bought it with 3k miles for $6k and sold it with 400k miles @$500.

Most expensive repair was new clutch @$250.

Never had any major repairs to motor.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

August 26, 1977.................10 days after the death of Elvis...............

I picked up the 1977 Gretsch USA Custom kit I had ordered 6 months earlier.

This August I will have owned, played and loved these shells for 39 years.

I have purchased 3 kits since.............nothing came close (not that I had expectations as such).

Keep rockin'.........
    Last edited by Ricardo; 03-13-2016 at 06:10 PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Picking up my Yamaha Maple Custom.
    My first true expert level drumset.
    I've never regretted anything about it and it's always brought me joy and pleasure.

Seeing my maple monster always puts a smile on my face.

User Info Menu

My kit on a whole, I love my saturn. As well as my stainless snare, $120 used. Way worth it. My pearl rack, etc....
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I'm a diesel mechanic by trade back in 2003 I bought a Harbor Freight 500ft lb 1/2" air impact gun. I had a CP air gun that broke and I was at a mobile site. Bought this thing and never replaced a seal, never opened it up, just oiled and use. I heard a story that Igersol Rand was making air tools for Harbor Freight at that time. If this is/was a true story, this was the best $80 I spent in my life. Still hits and works to this day.

User Info Menu

Harbor freight has som hidden gems from time to time.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

This might sound silly but I bought a pair of metal scissors from a 7-11 store back in 1980 for about $3.00. I still have them. They're solid as a rock, feel great in my hands and still cut good. I've never even sharpened them. They actually have sentimental value to me now and would be a little upset if I lost them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    This might sound silly but I bought a pair of metal scissors from a 7-11 store back in 1980 for about $3.00. I still have them. They're solid as a rock, feel great in my hands and still cut good. I've never even sharpened them. They actually have sentimental value to me now and would be a little upset if I lost them.
    That's cool. Often times 100% satisfaction is found in the unlikeliest of things. We live in a world now of such cheap disposable crap. My parents had the same fridge from about the time I was born until well into the eighties. Then about 4 different ones since. It was like a Fridgedaire I think, with a metal logo on the door like cars used to have.

all the best...