Thread: Vic Firth Drumsticks VS. Vater

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth Drumsticks VS. Vater

I'm a big fan of Vic Firth drumsticks. I have been playing the Steve Gadd signature sticks for a long time now. They feel great, they play nice, however they break pretty easy and I'm now asking for help in finding something similar stick and I'm thinking Vater.

I don't know if Vater makes a stick similar to the Steve Gadd stick, If so can someone tell me which one? I know Firth contracted Vater in the past to make their sticks, so their quality should be good.

Has anyone tried The Vic Firth Titan carbon fiber drumstick? how do they compare to the Steve Gadd in size & weight? I know they're a 5b, but I have never played a 5b, I think.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vic Firth Drumsticks VS. Vater

I too use the Steve Gadd model stick . Hit and miss on these . I usually get three or four pair at a time and on some the tip will last longer than others .
    I did find something close to the SG stick from Vater . It's called the "Fusion" stck . The taper is similar and the tip is just slightly rounder . But the stick is longer . I have two pair of these . The extra length does give them a little more heft . The tips tho have chipped like the SG's but not as bad , still usable . I've had these for almost a month now and use them exclusively . They've been holding up very well . But then I've also had a pair or two of the SG's last just as long .
    Give these a try . Vater Fusion sticks .
    I hope this helped .
    Sorry about the bad picture ...

[IMG][/IMG]

RUDY.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jedi,
    I went out last night and got a pair of the Vater Fusion Stick. I like how they feel I also got a pair of Vic Firth 5b so that I could get used to the size & weight for when I order the VF Titan carbon fiber sticks. Thank you for your input I'm trying the Vaters out in about 40 mins for practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    Thanks Jedi,
    I went out last night and got a pair of the Vater Fusion Stick. I like how they feel I also got a pair of Vic Firth 5b so that I could get used to the size & weight for when I order the VF Titan carbon fiber sticks. Thank you for your input I'm trying the Vaters out in about 40 mins for practice.
    Right back at ya !
    You'll have to let us know how the Titan sticks feel .
    I'm liking the Vater's too but only one store carries them here and I got the last two pair . I don't like ordering sticks on line because I prefer to roll them before I buy . And I also like to weed out the light ones too . But I just might take a chance on these .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I played the Vaters Fusion Stick last night they felt pretty dang good. I may have to buy another pair, my local music store has a few of them someone special ordered them and only bough 1 pair.

User Info Menu

Hi, since I started playing drums I always played vic firth, they have enough coating to be comfortable with and even if there's no coating anymore, you still can play them.
    I've no problems with broken sticks, so I used my first sticks 6 months or longer until it was too raw to hold.

As I was looking for new sticks I saw that vic got very expensive in the meantime so I looked for another brand like vater, agner, rohema, wincent etc, then I discovered Los Cabos a small company from Canada which has excellent sticks for the price of no-name sticks, I ordered some white hickory series 5a and they feel exactly like the vic firth, last as long as them and are perfectly matched.

They offer 3 model lines:

- maple series (very light sticks)
    - white hickory series (standard)
    - red hickory series (heavy)

So, if you prefer wood tips then I highly recommend it!
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals