Thread: Best Starter Electronic Drumkit?

User Info Menu

Default Best Starter Electronic Drumkit?

Hi everyone.

So, I've got my acoustic kit sorted and I'm happy with that. I'm a complete beginner & I work away and was thinking about getting an electronic kit to practice on while I'm away during the week.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what I should go for, what sounds good, what's not going to break after a few months. I'm after something with a small footprint. I've had advice that I should maybe look at something with mesh heads if I can stretch my budget to it.

Any info at all is gratefully received, any anecdotes about kit you've got/had any brand experience is welcomed, stores to buy from, stores to avoid etc.

Budget around £500 (uk)

Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Starter Electronic Drumkit?

I gave up on e-kits in 1998.
    So I have no idea what is good and bad out there right now.
    My advice is this...............

Once you decide on what is best for you, buy used if you can.
    Save the pounds............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Search for compact digital drum kits. They sound more like drum kits and are small enough for travel.

User Info Menu

See if you can find the Yammy dtx500 (or used 502), as only the yammys and rolands (more expensive) have programs which measure your accuracy and make you better.

What exactly do you mean, by work away? Like always in different places? If that is the case, Roland makes an electronic practice pad which is good.

8beat, I tried your advice, didn't see anything much different than advice on buying ekits...

Anyway, my philosophy on ekits is that if they cannot give you feedback on the accuracy of your playing, they really lose their value as a practice tool...

RE mesh heads, well some of us like them, some of us don't. I would rate that a less important aspect than how well the module works, sounds and options it gives you...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I'm trying to follow forum rules.

Try searching "digital percussion".

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys.

As for working away, I have another house that I stay in but it's attached to another so I can't get away with an acoustic kit.
    I just want something that will last a while and sounds good.
    It doesn't need to be portable, but the smaller the better.
    Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

You cant go wrong with either Yamaha or Roland. I have the Yamaha DTX450K and love it . Small but great sounds .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Bob View Post
    You cant go wrong with either Yamaha or Roland. I have the Yamaha DTX450K and love it . Small but great sounds .
    Cheers for that Bob, I've got a couple of discounts on the Yamaha DTX522K and the Roland TD-11K that makes them the same price and within budget.

I do like the look of the new Alesis Crimson kit, but no one in the UK has stock until May. Although I may be being swayed by it's looks more than its sounds and quality.
    Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

Well today I did go in to the store buy a Yamaha DTX582 but ended up coming out with a Roland TD-25K with full accessories (pedal, throne, hi hat stand, headphones) as well as an extra cymbal boom stand and pack of new Remo Pinstripes for my acoustic kit thrown in and five pairs of sticks.

The whole lot came in cheaper than the DTX582.

Proper result!

Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

I have a Roland TD-11K. The pads for the toms and hi-hat are very simple (not to say rudimentary), but it was ok for me during the first year I owned the thing (took up drumming again after a 25-year hiatus). I even did a live gig with it, and it was really fun.

A few months ago, I have upgraded the tom and snare pads to PDX100, I now use a VH-11 hi-hat and I have added a CY-13R - I'm quite ok with this current setup, I think I can do with it during the coming years. This means doing my exercises from drum class, rehearsing and gigging with a band and fooling around with the kids at home.

The built-in sounds are OK, without being exceptional, but with the MIDI-out, you can always connect your kit to a computer and use software such as EZDrummer.

summarizing: I think the TD-11K is excellent to start with, but depending on your evolution, you might quickly outgrow it.

enjoy,

E

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by espillier View Post
    I have a Roland TD-11K. The pads for the toms and hi-hat are very simple (not to say rudimentary), but it was ok for me during the first year I owned the thing (took up drumming again after a 25-year hiatus). I even did a live gig with it, and it was really fun.

A few months ago, I have upgraded the tom and snare pads to PDX100, I now use a VH-11 hi-hat and I have added a CY-13R - I'm quite ok with this current setup, I think I can do with it during the coming years. This means doing my exercises from drum class, rehearsing and gigging with a band and fooling around with the kids at home.

The built-in sounds are OK, without being exceptional, but with the MIDI-out, you can always connect your kit to a computer and use software such as EZDrummer.

summarizing: I think the TD-11K is excellent to start with, but depending on your evolution, you might quickly outgrow it.

enjoy,

E
    <p>
    Hi thanks for the reply. I did end up getting the TD-25K with the mesh heads and hi-hat that goes onto a real hi-hat stand. I'm enjoying it, and it's really easy to play.
    <p>
    I have also bought a Yamaha DTX700K with the silicone pads. Certainly a different beast to play compared to the Roland, you can certainly give the pads a fair belt with the sticks.
    The kick pad on the Yamaha is first in the list to upgrade, it's far too loud for home use, and at odds with the decent feeling pads around the rest of the kit.

<p>
    Andy
    Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

double post, deleted.
    Last edited by Andy; 05-11-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

oohhhh is this a kv module or just the older K's.... Still a good purchase. good time to buy a K as I'm sure they would be discontinued for the KV's coming through.

Do the yammi pads hook up to Roland modules? I'm looking to expand and been searching a few different options. The last being buy a TD3.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    oohhhh is this a kv module or just the older K's.... Still a good purchase. good time to buy a K as I'm sure they would be discontinued for the KV's coming through.

Do the yammi pads hook up to Roland modules? I'm looking to expand and been searching a few different options. The last being buy a TD3.
    Hi, you'll have to forgive me, I'm very new to drumming. I thought the modules were exactly the same between the K & KV sets, only the pads being different.
    I was wondering about being able to swap the pads, but the Roland uses a block connector for the majority of the pads with only a couple of 1/4inch jack inputs for expansion. The Yamaha uses all 1/4inch jacks.

I'll have a go at swapping pads/cymbals/kicks between them, see if I get any compatibility issues and report back.
    Look at me, Ands!

User Info Menu

Roland TD-1KV

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Hi, Im just piggy backing off of this thread.

Im looking to get an e-kit for my daughter whose starting out but at the same time I might need to use it. I play guitar/bass and might need to record drums every once in a while.

I know Roland & Yamaha are at the top of the list (pricy so might have to go used).

After those 2, what are like the next 3 best companies. As far as quality and price?

Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by demicami View Post
    Hi, Im just piggy backing off of this thread.

Im looking to get an e-kit for my daughter whose starting out but at the same time I might need to use it. I play guitar/bass and might need to record drums every once in a while.

I know Roland & Yamaha are at the top of the list (pricy so might have to go used).

After those 2, what are like the next 3 best companies. As far as quality and price?

Thank you
    Simmons, Alesis, Pin Tech (I think)

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks ! Ill check those out.