Thread: Snare head comparison on Pearl Reference and brass

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Snare head comparison on Pearl Reference and brass

Made a quick video of both snares with a few different heads.

I just got the reference this week and wasn't sure what head to use. I tried a few I had kicking around in my house.

I ended up going with the Evans G1 with a small piece of moon gel. I put it on around the 4:00 mark. That HD dry head on my brass snare has to go as its TOO dry.

I've ordered about 8 new heads online from 3 different companies and will play around a bit more.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare head comparison on Pearl Reference and brass

I too prefer the G1/Ambassador weight coated head with moon gel on my snares. I used the Evans Genera Snare Head (the one with the control ring) for years but ended up getting tired of its subtle lack of ring and projection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I too prefer the G1/Ambassador weight coated head with moon gel on my snares. I used the Evans Genera Snare Head (the one with the control ring) for years but ended up getting tired of its subtle lack of ring and projection.
    I like a dry sound, but the vent holes are TOO dry.

id rather control it with moon gel and have the option.

that G1 shocked me to be honest. I thought I was going to hate it.

I often tune my drums with mic's and IEM's now... the HD dry sounds good in the room but dead mic'd.... the G1 rings a bit live but sounds great in a mic.

I realized the people in the venue only hear what is in the PA. what I hear doesn't matter as much. So I pick the best sound in the mics

User Info Menu

I've tested heads and tuning based on close miking before, as well. However, if it is a small venue and we are using a 1-3 mike situation just to balance drums in mix, less of an issue and I tune to ear without mics. The mics do bring out ever nuance, rattle, etc., so a good way to try if you have the equipment handy or can borrow.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    I've tested heads and tuning based on close miking before, as well. However, if it is a small venue and we are using a 1-3 mike situation just to balance drums in mix, less of an issue and I tune to ear without mics. The mics do bring out ever nuance, rattle, etc., so a good way to try if you have the equipment handy or can borrow.
    I have a set of cheap mics and an 8 channel interface. my band uses a JamHub when we practice.

The venues we play being a deathemetal band are usual;y very loud dive bars.
    I have my kick triggered, toms and snare mic'd and no overheads most of the time. If its a GOOD gig i get over heads. haha

sometimes a very big headliner will backline and I don't get a monitor, or we play a smaller bar with less mics so this is a good way to think. I find if it sounds good in a mic though it sounds good in the room most of the time. It doesn't always work the other way. It may sound good to my ear but bad in a mic.

User Info Menu

Another great video review and in my opinion, I like the Remo CS with one moon gel on the Pearl Reference snare and the G1 with one moon gel on the Pearl free floating brass snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I like a dry sound, but the vent holes are TOO dry.

id rather control it with moon gel and have the option.

that G1 shocked me to be honest. I thought I was going to hate it.

I often tune my drums with mic's and IEM's now... the HD dry sounds good in the room but dead mic'd.... the G1 rings a bit live but sounds great in a mic.

I realized the people in the venue only hear what is in the PA. what I hear
    doesn't matter as much. So I pick the best sound in the mics
    These days I typically mic the drums but always tune them to my ears.

One of the venues that we play has a really good sound man. I'm amazed at how big he makes my 5 x 14 Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum sound in the monitor mix with a coated G1 dampened with a single moon gel through a venerable SM57. People tell me that it sounds even bigger and better out front ...

I also like the Power Center Reverse Dot ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 03-22-2016 at 10:10 PM.