Thread: Started learning traditional grip recently. Comments welcome!

User Info Menu

Default Started learning traditional grip recently. Comments welcome!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Started learning traditional grip recently. Comments welcome!

Very nice. I'm a traditional grip player. You have very good form! Great start!

User Info Menu

I agree with Mottster. Good form.

Keep about 3" of the stick behind where you hold it, That gives you more control.

Having played traditional for almost 60 years, I've found that it's so much easier to go from Trad to match than the other way around.

Watch Rich and Morello, they were masters at it.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 03-22-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: =======

User Info Menu

Cool Same as others have said Nuff said
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

You are doing everything correctly. Very good form. Learn the sticking patterns of any one rudiment and apply it to your drum set in some type of beat/groove/fill. Don't worry about speed, that will come by playing the above. Questions to get you thinking. Why do you want to play traditional grip ?
    Is there a difference in control of sticks between traditional or match grip ? What determines when and which grip to use ? I have a some experience play both grips.

https://youtu.be/6FwpgDgaYZo This video shows me playing some snare work.

https://youtu.be/t5apceTeQ4I This video shows me using rudiments as fills when playing a beat.
    Last edited by Jackie; 03-21-2016 at 10:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for everyone's messages and advice. It's gonna be a tricky few first months getting use to the grip, let alone playing gigs!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your response and feedback. Some sterling stuff in your advice. And video, sounds/looks very clean.

To answer your question - I've started to learn because I believe it will open many doors in my playing, make me a more rounded player/musician. I feel like there's a difference in control in both grips with what they both have to offer, in terms of groove, technique and power.

Trad just seems a much 'gentler' choice in terms of groove and feel, I know there is as much power in the grip as matched, but when ghosting I feel like it can do a better job.

User Info Menu

Your response to the above questions are excellent. There is a degree of sensitivity in the two grips. That means you will have a different feel when playing and different sense of stick control. That boils down to comfort when playing. Your feel will develop your technique and eventually develop your own drum voice. The music will determine the grip. Play both grips.
    Last edited by Jackie; 03-21-2016 at 02:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice form and playing. I'm right handed but as far as playing traditional grip, I grip my stick opposite opposed to most right handed players.

User Info Menu

Good luck...................I completely s**k at Traditional grip................wish I could play that way, but just not enough time in the day to work on it.

User Info Menu

Looks like you're off to a good start. I started with trad grip as that is what my first teacher had his students use. Eventually switched to matched grip.