Thread: New Hi-Hat Stand?

User Info Menu

Default New Hi-Hat Stand?

I'm looking to buy a new hat stand to replace my dated, bog-standard Mapex one. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Hi-Hat Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by __--byonin--__ View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new hat stand to replace my dated, bog-standard Mapex one. Any suggestions?
    What's your budget? I personally own an Eliminator 2 legged, DW 5K 2 legged, and a DW 9 K 2 legged. All 3 are pretty awesome, just depends on your budget.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I'm looking to spend between £150-200; I'm wiling to spend on something that's decent and will serve well. The DW 5000 tempted me but a bit too pricey.

User Info Menu

I have a DW 8000, 2 legger, and a Tama 3 legger. Both work very well, I'd recommend either. Couldn't tell you where they are on the price point off hand cause I just acquired them from friends. It's like most anything, you just need to try some out and see what works best within your budget.

User Info Menu

They are all pretty much good. Sound Percussion are affordable, I have 2 of them and they are find. Buy what you like and what is affordable.

User Info Menu

I am selling my DW 7000 3- legger and looking to buy a Yamaha HS-1200. That thing has so many nice features, Like the 3 legged one has 2 single braced legs and one double braced leg with a small spike to help hold it in place, plus it has the new no slip locking clutch. I played around on one a few weeks ago and was impressed with everything about it. Little pricey though but worth it IMO.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have the DW9K 2 Legged and it's the smoothest best responsive hi-hat I've ever played and owned. I ordered a second one last week for my other kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have the DW9K 2 Legged and it's the smoothest best responsive hi-hat I've ever played and owned. I ordered a second one last week for my other kit.
    Though this looks and sounds awesome, it's out of my budget. I think the DW5000 is the one for me so far.

Thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

I own a Pearl H2000 2-legger, a DW 5500TD 2 legger. I have no complaints about either but here are my thoughts on why I prefer the Pearl H2000 over the DW5500TD and it boils down to how the foot plate folds up. My biggest complaint about the DW5500TD is the way DW designed the method of folding the foot board up for storage and transport. There are four bolts that holds the foot board in place and each bolt has a loose square lock washer that the bolts thread into the foot board bracket.

The foot board bolts need to be loose enough for the foot board to slide up and out of the way and here's what I found that I didn't like about this design. If you loosen the bolt too far out, the square lock washers at the back of the bolt will thread off and end up on the floor somewhere. This has happened to me several times on a dark stage and it was very frustrating to be groping around in the dark looking for a small square washer.

The Pearl H2000 on the other hand uses a docking method where the foot board docks into slots and is held in place by drum key type bolts.

Last edited by late8; 03-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

weird I played 100's of shows with my 9k and never had that happen. You barely have to loosen them to get the plate to fold up. I never even knew it was just little backing squares for them I'll have to look at it tonight when I play.

User Info Menu

continued....

Pearl H2000 base assembly:

Another feature I like about the Pearl H2000 over the DW5500TD are the retractable spike tips. Pearl has designed their spike tips to retract into the footing by merely pressing a spring activated button.

Last edited by late8; 03-23-2016 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    weird I played 100's of shows with my 9k and never had that happen. You barely have to loosen them to get the plate to fold up. I never even knew it was just little backing squares for them I'll have to look at it tonight when I play.
    It looks as though the DW9500 doesn't use the SP061 square washers:

Last edited by late8; 03-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

well that explains it then! hahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    It looks as though the DW9500 dosen't use the SP061 square washers:

This is all really awesome info you've linked. Much appreciated. Though at the end of this video, he explains it like it' not really a problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRcP4RwX3Y8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I own a Pearl H2000 2-legger, a DW 5500TD 2 legger. I have no complaints about either but here are my thoughts on why I prefer the Pearl HH2000 over the DW5500TD and it boils down to how the foot plate folds up. My biggest complaint about the DW5500TD is the way DW designed the method of folding the foot board up for storage and transport. There are four bolts that holds the foot board in place and each bolt has a loose square lock washer that the bolts thread into the foot board bracket.

The foot board bolts need to be loose enough for the foot board to slide up and out of the way and here's what I found that I didn't like about this design. If you loosen the bolt too far out, the square lock washers at the back of the bolt will thread off and end up on the floor somewhere. This has happened to me several times on a dark stage and it was very frustrating to be groping around in the dark looking for a small square washer.

The Pearl HH2000 on the other hand uses a docking method where the foot board docks into slots and is held in place by drum key type bolts.

Ah, ok. I see your point now.

I do really like the spike/rubber feet idea. That's a big pro.