Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K Constantinoples

User Info Menu

Default K Constantinoples

Still in search for the cymbals that's going to take me to my dirt nap and I think I found them. These exact sizes. I might have to donate one of my kidneys to afford these beauties but hey, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVu1fSJ2Zmc#t=116
    Last edited by late8; 08-11-2016 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: K Constantinoples

I love my 22" K Con ride. But you have to ask yourself if it's really the sound you're after. Not every ones cup of tea. Dark is really nice...until you find yourself playing classic rock or something and they aren't screaming through the mix. I'm just as impressed, or more, with the Kerope crashes than the K Con crashes. My two cents

all the best...

User Info Menu

the Constantinople are great cymbals but definitely not an overall around kind of cymbal. But I LOVE their sound. Very dark and jazz/fusion classic deep tones.

I'd dig myself a whole for them too!

User Info Menu

I can endorse your choice in that I own all of these- except the 16" crash. I play in a classic rock/ country cover band and I have no issues with the 18" cutting through. it is my favorite crash EVER in the history of crashes. I don't always use the K Const ride because I like more ping than it generates for rock music so I use a K Custom Dark Dry in those instances. The Constantinople ride has its place if you like a big building wash with lots of shimmer. The hats I got are not as bright as the ones I demoed at Lone Star Percussion, but otherwise I am very satisfied with the overall tone and volume. Expensive yes, but I really do enjoy playing them very much.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    I can endorse your choice in that I own all of these- except the 16" crash. I play in a classic rock/ country cover band and I have no issues with the 18" cutting through. it is my favorite crash EVER in the history of crashes. I don't always use the K Const ride because I like more ping than it generates for rock music so I use a K Custom Dark Dry in those instances. The Constantinople ride has its place if you like a big building wash with lots of shimmer. The hats I got are not as bright as the ones I demoed at Lone Star Percussion, but otherwise I am very satisfied with the overall tone and volume. Expensive yes, but I really do enjoy playing them very much.
    That's a great review on them CollinCo. Thanks. I own a K Custom Dark Dry ride and as you said, it's got that ping that fits well with rock music. The 16" and 18" crash cymbals for this line are really my favorite so far in my search. The 20" K Con med low ride is what drew me into the Constantinoples. I'm having fun just listening to the sample video I posted above.
    Last edited by late8; 03-25-2016 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    the Constantinople are great cymbals but definitely not an overall around kind of cymbal. But I LOVE their sound. Very dark and jazz/fusion classic deep tones.

I'd dig myself a whole for them too!
    As I look through the different brands of cymbals I have, I lack anything dark and jazzy. The HHX super pack I got last year are really dark but I'm chasing a very eclectic sound. I read a quote somewhere that said "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells like it".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I love my 22" K Con ride. But you have to ask yourself if it's really the sound you're after. Not every ones cup of tea. Dark is really nice...until you find yourself playing classic rock or something and they aren't screaming through the mix. I'm just as impressed, or more, with the Kerope crashes than the K Con crashes. My two cents

all the best...
    Hey kay-gee.....What's happening my Bahamian brother? I got cymbals for classic rock. I got cymbals for metal. I got cymbals that sound bright "vintage". I got cymbals that sound dark "modern". I got fusion hats, new beat hats, jazz thin hats. I got a ping ride. I got a mega power ride. But I don't have a smokey, dark, moody, washy, down low at your knees ride and I think the K Con 20" med thin low ride will do it my brother!

Last edited by late8; 03-25-2016 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I got cymbals for classic rock. I got cymbals for metal. I got cymbals that sound bright "vintage". I got cymbals that sound dark "modern". I got fusion hats, new beat hats, jazz thin hats. I got a ping ride. I got a mega power ride. But.......
    Yes, we have no bananas....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yes, we have no bananas....

User Info Menu

That particular ride is one of my favorite cymbals Zildjian makes...mostly because it sounds more like it's from another brand (most Zildjians in any series are too bright for me).
    These are surprisingly versatile (or at least the crashes and hats) and there still is some brightness when you lay into them a little. So unless you're playing really loud music they will cut. A lot of the rides are very crashable too. When I was in high school the ride on the drum set was a 20" K Constantinople of some kind. It got washy really quickly so wasn't good for louder and/or busier rhythms, but for crashing or orchestral suspended cymbal rolls it was easily the best cymbal we had.

User Info Menu

I don't have a smokey, dark, moody, washy, down low at your knees ride and I think the K Con 20" med thin low ride will do it my brother!
    Oh, then definitely you will like the K Con. Mine is all of those things plus it crashes big and shimmery and does amazing mallet swells.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    That particular ride is one of my favorite cymbals Zildjian makes...mostly because it sounds more like it's from another brand (most Zildjians in any series are too bright for me).
    These are surprisingly versatile (or at least the crashes and hats) and there still is some brightness when you lay into them a little. So unless you're playing really loud music they will cut. A lot of the rides are very crashable too. When I was in high school the ride on the drum set was a 20" K Constantinople of some kind. It got washy really quickly so wasn't good for louder and/or busier rhythms, but for crashing or orchestral suspended cymbal rolls it was easily the best cymbal we had.
    Thank you for this!

BackStreetDrums Guest

Tried and sold for Keropes...better, IMO. But it is all personal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    Tried and sold for Keropes...better, IMO. But it is all personal.
    Even better. I have one of each. Kerope crash, K Con ride and K light top hat.

all the best...

User Info Menu

The K Constantinople's finish looks like pure gold to me

Last edited by late8; 03-31-2016 at 03:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Tell the band mates to turn down the volume knobs.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

With the rock and soul cover band that I play in I've used almost every setup that I own in the past two and a half years. I've used my Paiste Signature setup originally. I love them, but they are a little bright for what we are doing.

I used my Sabian AAX setup at some outdoor shows and they worked well, the next time I used them indoors I wasn't as happy with the results.

I used my Zildjian "A"s for a time and started mixing in some K Customs. Then for almost a year I ran all K Customs.

We are using overhead microphones above the kit, close micing the toms, hats and snare at almost every show these days. The K Customs sound good, but it was almost too much of a good thing. So I started using two Constantinople crashes mixed in with a K Custom crash, K Custom Hybrid ride and hats.

Recently I came to the conclusion that with our sound system I don't hit hard. If on the rare occasion we don't have everything miced up the rest of the band has turned way down.

So...

The last few shows I've been using Zildjian Constantinople 20" ride, 14" Con hats, 18" and 16" Con crashes and a 14" K Dark crash that I use at a splash. This is working for me, I really like it.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    With the rock and soul cover band that I play in I've used almost every setup that I own in the past two and a half years. I've used my Paiste Signature setup originally. I love them, but they are a little bright for what we are doing.

I used my Sabian AAX setup at some outdoor shows and they worked well, the next time I used them indoors I wasn't as happy with the results.

I used my Zildjian "A"s for a time and started mixing in some K Customs. Then for almost a year I ran all K Customs.

We are using overhead microphones above the kit, close micing the toms, hats and snare at almost every show these days. The K Customs sound good, but it was almost too much of a good thing. So I started using two Constantinople crashes mixed in with a K Custom crash, K Custom Hybrid ride and hats.

Recently I came to the conclusion that with our sound system I don't hit hard. If on the rare occasion we don't have everything miced up the rest of the band has turned way down.

So...

The last few shows I've been using Zildjian Constantinople 20" ride, 14" Con hats, 18" and 16" Con crashes and a 14" K Dark crash that I use at a splash. This is working for me, I really like it.
    Thanks for the review Mike!! I still have my eye on the K Cons.

User Info Menu

Love the medium thin low . . . think I read somewhere that it is Antonio Sanchez's favorite ride.

That said, my experience with the thing is that it sounds exceptionally great as a combo jazz cymbal when brand new. It kinda has that jet taking off roar that can get on the verge of out of control, but is just so freakin cool . . . the stick sound always seems to have just enough attack to cut through the body, and it is heavy enough to handle fast patterns, with a shoulder crash that sounds like it could usher in the Grand Pasha himself.

BUT, after maybe a year and a half of much use it sounded quite unlike the above. I suspect this may have to do with my son ( I am dadrum, he is the drummer) using nylon tipped sticks . . . but at any rate it began to sound lifeless, for lack of a better word. I tried to get the lowdown on what to do and finally decided it needed to be cleaned, despite Zildjian's admonitions contrariwise. After treatment with a secret formula consisting mainly of vinegar, if I remember, it once again sounded awesome. But i am still unsure if as awesome as when new. A lot of dirt and green stuff came out of the grooves.
    A local trader dude here once said he did an A/B test with an old Kcon and the fender of his vehicle, and one had no clear superiority over the other. But prolly such hearsay should be taken with grains of salt . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dadrum View Post
    Love the medium thin low . . . think I read somewhere that it is Antonio Sanchez's favorite ride.

That said, my experience with the thing is that it sounds exceptionally great as a combo jazz cymbal when brand new. It kinda has that jet taking off roar that can get on the verge of out of control, but is just so freakin cool . . . the stick sound always seems to have just enough attack to cut through the body, and it is heavy enough to handle fast patterns, with a shoulder crash that sounds like it could usher in the Grand Pasha himself.

BUT, after maybe a year and a half of much use it sounded quite unlike the above. I suspect this may have to do with my son ( I am dadrum, he is the drummer) using nylon tipped sticks . . . but at any rate it began to sound lifeless, for lack of a better word. I tried to get the lowdown on what to do and finally decided it needed to be cleaned, despite Zildjian's admonitions contrariwise. After treatment with a secret formula consisting mainly of vinegar, if I remember, it once again sounded awesome. But i am still unsure if as awesome as when new. A lot of dirt and green stuff came out of the grooves.
    A local trader dude here once said he did an A/B test with an old Kcon and the fender of his vehicle, and one had no clear superiority over the other. But prolly such hearsay should be taken with grains of salt . .
    Great first post dadrum. I've heard many who also use a vinegar formula to remove patina.

User Info Menu

Late8 ...like your cymbal cases..I really need to get one of these. I thought I saw an new product from Zildjian..that kinda reminded me of my very first one...did not have the ping marks on them..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

just looked again...they are the AVEDIS line..like the one I bought in 1968
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China

The Zildjian League

BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Late8 ...like your cymbal cases..I really need to get one of these. I thought I saw an new product from Zildjian..that kinda reminded me of my very first one...did not have the ping marks on them..
    Thanks MartyM. SKB cymbal vaults holds regular cymbal configuration pretty good but throw in a china or a big bell ride into the fray and things get a little dicey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks MartyM. SKB cymbal vaults holds regular cymbal configuration pretty good but throw in a china or a big bell ride into the fray and things get a little dicey.
    Yea....I picked one up for 50bucks...holds them all..I waited for last to place the china..with splash on top of that..worked!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China

The Zildjian League

BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Hey late8 have you tried the K custom special dry ride..I have one and it sounds what youre looking for, smokey,dark,moody,washy,down low at your knees ride, I use different sticks for quite different sounds,7a nylon tip for " lighter"dark sound, to 5a wood for a very cool dark almost a hollow sound with the bell sounding like an old church bell, playing it on the edge is just an awesome dark wash

Mike