Thread: Drum video for my original song "subconscious"

User Info Menu

Default Drum video for my original song "subconscious"

Hey guys here is a video I made of myself drumming along to my original composition "Subconscious". It is the first song on my album coming out in the summer! let me know what you think!
    -Fernando

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum video for my original song "subconscious"

You're one of my favorites in here! Come hang with us more. Tell us about your practicing routines, how your composing your songs, etc. Would love to know more! Great stuff man!

User Info Menu

Dude that was awesome!!!

User Info Menu

Well done!!!

User Info Menu

Very, very nice. Thanks for posting it.

Tex

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Good stuff...........welcome to DC!

User Info Menu

Great groove. Loved it!!! What ride are you using? Looks like the 20" K Custom Dry ride? Thanks....

User Info Menu

Hey guys thank you so much for all the kind words! I am really glad you all like it so much because I really pour my heart and soul into my original material! I am pretty new to songwriting so its been a very interesting process of writing original music. Drums are my main instrument, so without any background on a melodic instrument its difficult for me to write music, but over the years I felt frustrated because I would always find myself playing other peoples music at gigs and stuff. Thats cool and all I love playing gigs and being a freelance drummer, but often I felt like I could never really express myself. So now I have really made it a point to write my own original music, and share my perspective with my music community and the world. I am trying to be a well rounded musician so the past few years I have been studying harmony, music theory and learning how to play guitar, bass, and SOME piano hahaha...soo when I write songs I try to keep it very natural and never force ideas. I only use ideas that really come from me naturally, I never just sit there and say "ok I'm gonna write a song" it never happens that way...well for me atleast... So throughout my day if I hear a random riff in my head I will pull out my voice recorder on my iPhone and literally hum or sing the riff and keep it in a bank of riffs in my phone. so then those basic simple riffs spark all the next ideas to come, at that point ill record a drum groove and make an "imaginary song structure" so then with a solid drum groove I can then record the first initial idea and expand on it and add other midi instruments and play around with different melodies, and instruments. I write my songs/record them at the same time so it really helps me because I can actually listen back to how the song is sounding, and once it is all there I will usually have musician friends of mine come in and re-record the midi parts like bass, horns, vocals, or my amateur guitar playing lol.. so thats how the songs get going for me, then I mix it myself and all that stuff blah blah blah...but with that being said I don't always write music its a very personal process so it only happens when I'm really inspired, but regardless of writing songs drumming is my career so I practice drums everyday... I start by stretching my hands and arms, and doing some actual physical stretches. Then I spend about 40 minutes warming up on the snare with different exercises I learned in drumline, then once I'm really warm I put on 2-3 of my favorite songs and play some grooves and shed a little bit and have fun and get out all the licks and chops, then I will take a small 5-10 minute break and eat a snack and drink water then ill put on the metronome and start working on specific things that challenge me, like fast tempos, really fast subdivisions, polyrhythms, soloing over ostinatos, all that good stuff. Thanks for listening guys it means a lot I hope you guys enjoy the little perspective into my world!
    -Fern

User Info Menu

Very classy playing, and a great song. Obviously, you knew the perfect drum part!