Thread: Stupid Things Part Pi

User Info Menu

Default Stupid Things Part Pi

In my neverending search for intelligent life on Earth (outside of drummers, of course) I saw this on the news this morning:

2 guys in cheap hazmat suits, have a watermelon in something to hold it upright.

Their project, which looks like it will advance science at least 20 minutes, is wrapping rubber bands around the watermelon to see how many it takes to make it burst.

I think the formula is something like: WB= x rubberbands + 2 morons to place said rubberbands around said watermelon = stupidity taken to a level that I thought only guitar players and the wino's in NYC could reach.

I thought that the man who wanted to know how much methane is added to the atmosphere each year by ant farts was pushing scientific curiosity to the max.

When the people that see flying saucers everyday and wonder why they don't stop and have a beer with us, we must look like a Special Ed planet to them, so their search for intelligent life in the universe goes on.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stupid Things Part Pi

One incident = 3 stupids

At a stop light in my car, people on the radio were talking about a university study that cost a couple hundred thousand dollars and tried to determine if you could tickle yourself (stupid #1). They found out that the only way is to lightly drag your thumbnail across the roof of your mouth. Of course I had to try it (stupid #2). But to make sure no one saw me being stupid, I looked to the left and no one was looking at me; I looked to the right, and the guy in the car next to me was shoving his thumb into his mouth, obviously listening to the same radio broadcast. Yes, he looked stupid (stupid #3).

User Info Menu

In the news today.

Coast Guard rescues kayaker. Blah blah blah...She was waving her arms, which is the international signal for distress

User Info Menu

Park sang cart said like four held empty see talk party nightime angle float = dish dangle pieces dig nine pay like memory antidote matches foot thirty load.
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

A good friend of mine was drunk and high and destroyed a vintage Rogers kit. He said it was a 76'. I took the rack tom and ran home. I still have it and need to post pics to see if it's a 76.

User Info Menu

What did he do to the kit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    One incident = 3 stupids

At a stop light in my car, people on the radio were talking about a university study that cost a couple hundred thousand dollars and tried to determine if you could tickle yourself (stupid #1). They found out that the only way is to lightly drag your thumbnail across the roof of your mouth. Of course I had to try it (stupid #2). But to make sure no one saw me being stupid, I looked to the left and no one was looking at me; I looked to the right, and the guy in the car next to me was shoving his thumb into his mouth, obviously listening to the same radio broadcast. Yes, he looked stupid (stupid #3).
    Hilarious! I tried it, too, but my uppers got in the way.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Witnessed something pretty stupid last Sat night. The last bands drummer was setting up and he played his kicks backwards. Don't know the benefit of that, stability maybe, but that's how he set up. They were both naturally pointed to the floor
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Rick:

Please don't degrade and insult the NYC wino by categorizing with guitarists.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Rick:

I stand corrected.

User Info Menu

RE the university studies:

Measuring the methane output of insects does have lots of valuable insight. 1, Methane is an important greenhouse gas. Being able to measure who much of it is of a biological origin gives us insight into how much methane humans release. 2. There are methane releases on Mars, which are of undetermined origin. Knowing how much methane ants release on Earth could inform us on the Mars releases.

Tickling yourself? Well that's neuroscience. Isn't it amazing that soldiers and others who have lost limbs can now have prosthetics which look and work like normal appendages? Understanding our neural system (like how tickling works) is fundamental for that.

Wrapping rubber bands around water melons...well that's materials science and I'm pretty sure you could work that out without experimental evidence...

User Info Menu

I don't know about insects. I've read methane contributes to "global warming" and the 1.5 billion cows emit, per each cow, 26-100 gal. of methane daily. Mostly from belching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Rick:

I Googled "New York winos" and the very first thing that came up was ...
    Wikipedia : Kieth Richards !! Yes...THAT Kieth Richards !
    So Rick wasn't too far off ...

User Info Menu

ticking yourself in the car is hilarious!

User Info Menu

It really should be called, "Human influenced climate change resulting in global warming" or the even sexier HICCRGW....which almost looks like a rudiment btw (high hat, independent stroke, crash, crash, right, gong, whack)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    RE the university studies:

Measuring the methane output of insects does have lots of valuable insight. 1, Methane is an important greenhouse gas. Being able to measure who much of it is of a biological origin gives us insight into how much methane humans release. 2. There are methane releases on Mars, which are of undetermined origin. Knowing how much methane ants release on Earth could inform us on the Mars releases.

Tickling yourself? Well that's neuroscience. Isn't it amazing that soldiers and others who have lost limbs can now have prosthetics which look and work like normal appendages? Understanding our neural system (like how tickling works) is fundamental for that.

Wrapping rubber bands around water melons...well that's materials science and I'm pretty sure you could work that out without experimental evidence...
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I don't know about insects. I've read methane contributes to "global warming" and the 1.5 billion cows emit, per each cow, 26-100 gal. of methane daily. Mostly from belching.

All living creatures from the very beginning have given off methane and carbon dioxide along with other gases.

When the 1st creature considered "alive" arose on earth, there was virtually no oxygen in the atmosphere, and we could never have survived in it.

Being that "life" in some form has existed for close to 4,000,000,000 years, the amount of "creatures" that have lived on this planet numbers in the "never to be counted" trillions, the amount of methane and carbon dioxide must, at the very least, be measured in the quadrillions of tons.

Looking at it that way, the amount of these gases given off by "mankind", especially in the last 150 years (industrial revolution) is a tiny % of what has been released in the previous 4,000,000,000 years.

I would worry more about getting on a elevator with someone with the beer farts than spend my day thinking about global warming. While we may nuke ourselves out of existence and destroy everything "on" the earth. The earth will heal itself for 1 very simple reason, earth abides.

User Info Menu

Here's a thought...

Maybe change the channel on that new fancy shmancy TV of yours?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Here's a thought...

Maybe change the channel on that new fancy shmancy TV of yours?

Why?????

User Info Menu

all I can think of is............"Hey y'all watch this!"
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    All living creatures from the very beginning have given off methane and carbon dioxide along with other gases.

When the 1st creature considered "alive" arose on earth, there was virtually no oxygen in the atmosphere, and we could never have survived in it.

Being that "life" in some form has existed for close to 4,000,000,000 years, the amount of "creatures" that have lived on this planet numbers in the "never to be counted" trillions, the amount of methane and carbon dioxide must, at the very least, be measured in the quadrillions of tons.

Looking at it that way, the amount of these gases given off by "mankind", especially in the last 150 years (industrial revolution) is a tiny % of what has been released in the previous 4,000,000,000 years.

I would worry more about getting on a elevator with someone with the beer farts than spend my day thinking about global warming. While we may nuke ourselves out of existence and destroy everything "on" the earth. The earth will heal itself for 1 very simple reason, earth abides.
    That is extremely faulty logic. Methane breaks down very easily over time, but time is a relative thing. For the planet, 500,000 years is nothing, but in that time all of human existence has happened. So yes, the total amount of methane produced over the planet's existence is huge compared to the last 200 years, yet such great changes in short periods throw the system into chaos. Of course, the planet will survive, but we may not. Look at what happened to the dinosaurs. Personally, I'm 36, I would like to know that in 50 years we won't be going to war of water or food. Then again, humans seem keen not even to get through the next 10 years, so maybe it doesn't matter...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Why?????
    So you don't have to watch Gallager wannabes smashing watermelons!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    That is extremely faulty logic. Methane breaks down very easily over time, but time is a relative thing. For the planet, 500,000 years is nothing, but in that time all of human existence has happened. So yes, the total amount of methane produced over the planet's existence is huge compared to the last 200 years, yet such great changes in short periods throw the system into chaos. Of course, the planet will survive, but we may not. Look at what happened to the dinosaurs. Personally, I'm 36, I would like to know that in 50 years we won't be going to war of water or food. Then again, humans seem keen not even to get through the next 10 years, so maybe it doesn't matter...

Your logic is a bit on the faulty side.

"yet such great changes in short periods throw the system into chaos."

Have various changes brought by men in the last 150+ years caused some harm. The answer is of course, mainly in the air we breathe, but the overall effect on the earth, next to nothing.

" I would like to know that in 50 years we won't be going to war of water or food. Then again, humans seem keen not even to get through the next 10"

Both are distinct possibilities based on the fact that we have proven ourselves to be morons most of the time. Oppenheimer considered the fact that the 1st atomic bomb could set the atmosphere on fire. It obviously didn't, but it was good enough to kill 200,000 people between Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The powers that were didn't think that was enough so let's build a hydrogen bomb that can kill 200,000 people with 1 bomb instead of 2.

As for the dinosaurs. They didn't die off because of anything that was normally in the atmosphere. They died off because of what that meteor (or now, some believe it was a comet, like at this point in time it makes a difference what hit the earth. It could have been a drunk alien in a hopped up spaceship that hit us), put (threw) up into the atmosphere.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the next 50 years because they are going to come. How they come is a different story.

I would be more concerned with that chubby little moron in North Korea pushing the button. He made everyone in North Korea that had the same last name, change it, so he would be the only 1 with it.

So I would worry (which I don't) more about that moron than the lack of, or abundance of methane. Which is the more immediate danger.

User Info Menu

It's the cow farts and Chinese power plants that are ruining our planet. Those are the true culprits!!