Thread: Snare Tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Question Snare Tuning

Hey guys,

I'm having another issue with tuning a snare drum. It's a Taye Studio Maple
    14 x 7 snare drum. It currently has a Evans G2 batter head on and its stock snare side head. As much I try tuning this drum I can't seem to get its obnoxious overtones out of it. No matter how high or low I tune it. I've tried low, medium, and high snare tensions and nothing works. I've even tried a torque key, and still nothing. Not only does it have an obnoxious overtone, it also has a "papery" sound to it, kind of like it has a page of newspaper on top of it. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Thanks,
    Voltsdrummer
    Last edited by voltsdrummer; 04-18-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    Keep on playing!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Tuning

You might just be in a room with bad acoustics. Drums do sound pretty bad close up, for the most part, until you get used to whatever tuning they have. But there are some rooms that just can't do drums!

The trick is to get a good relationship between the heads going, and a great fundamental pitch that will travel louder and further than the overtones. Also, it's important that your other drums are all in tune with each other. That is, hit any two drums in unison, and it should sound decent. That really helps all the drums sound great individually because then they aren't creating any sour overtones in other drums.

If you share a recording, you might be able to get more specific help from someone (if not me).

User Info Menu

I'd replace the snare side head first. If that doesn't help, replace the batter head. Look at the bearing edges when the heads are off. Look for bad/rough spots. Might also check the shell for roundness and flatness of the edges.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hey man, check this vid out, hope it helps this is what I use now and it works for me
    https://youtu.be/ht2JgVdHQdw
    Last edited by GoyaDrumr!; 04-19-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    Hey man, check this vid out, hope it helps this is what I use now and it works for me
    https://youtu.be/ht2JgVdHQdw
    I've seen that video so many times, I could almost recite it word for word.
    SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-SPLAT-BOOM-GIGGA-TISH!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voltsdrummer View Post
    Hey guys,

14 x 7 snare drum. It currently has a Evans G2 batter head on and its stock snare side head. As much I try tuning this drum I can't seem to get its obnoxious overtones out of it. No matter how high or low I tune it. I've tried low, medium, and high snare tensions and nothing works. I've even tried a torque key, and still nothing. Not only does it have an obnoxious overtone, it also has a "papery" sound to it, kind of like it has a page of newspaper on top of it. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Thanks,
    Voltsdrummer
    what kind of overtones.. just a bad/uneven ringing from the top head or bottom? it's probably not tuned evenly. If it's resonance from the bottom head, try loosening the rods to the left/right of the snare bed just a little.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 10-03-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I've never had good luck with the G2 as a snare drum head.
    I use the Evans super dry snare head on almost everything.
    I also have had better luck depending on snare with a G1.
    Gives that quick snappy sound I love cranked up tight.

User Info Menu

I crank the bottom head and have the wires pretty loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voltsdrummer View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks,
    Voltsdrummer

I have the same snare drum. Try an Evans Genera Dry.

User Info Menu

Crank up the reso head tight, put a Remo ambassador on the batter and tighten it up pretty high and then adjust the snare tension accordingly to sound.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    Crank up the reso head tight, put a Remo ambassador on the batter and tighten it up pretty high and then adjust the snare tension accordingly to sound.
    Exactly what I do. But with looser wires
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

go back see what the original head configuration was usually drums are optimized with particular heads unless they are cheap nasty snares

User Info Menu

forgot to mention, as far as i'm concerned ambassador sounds best on a maple snare, g2 always sounds a papery

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

I blame the reso... I was cranking mine for a while... Too tight will choke the drum ,, too loose will not resonate... What I have done lately, is get my reso to about 380ish with a tunebot, then play with the batter... Low it sounds like a gun shot, medium to tight I get some tones, but they are nice and even.. If your lugs are in tune with each other (batter with batter) (reso with reso) It is either the relation between the two, or too tight or loose.

Also, tighten up your snare wires a bit and it will help choke some of the tones of it and still give you a great snap..

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Tunebot will help first off. I find between 270 and 350 are the sweet spot for the batter, between 380 and 420 for the reso.

If your reso is too tight it will sound choked and papery.. When I hear "table top tight" I often find reso's too tight. Also, having your snare wires too tight will choke the drum too.

I'd start by changeing both heads at once. Once you get it dialed in write down the settings you used. That reso head takes a beating too. I replace mine almost every time I replace the batter on the snare.

Now, overtones. All drums have them. I prefer usually a small moongel on my snare, sometimes i rip a full piece in half and use both pieces. I have a few snares that don't need them either. Dual ply heads cut back on ovetones quite a bit.

The lower you tune the less overtones you have. Just remember that the head needs to be in tune with itself first, then the relationship between the two make a big difference as well.

User Info Menu

If he doesn't have it right by now somethings definitely wrong
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I also use the Tune-Bot and its well worth the expense. When you are tuning - no matter which head you start with, just make sure you have the same "tone" at each of the 8 or 10 tuning rods - and as was mentioned... too tight on the reso will choke the drum ... too loose and you get a dull thud sound. The Tune-Bot will make it so much easier to get you close to where you can make small adjustments. I usually start with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns on the Reso head tuning rods and then check it with the Tune-Bot and make slight adjustments, usually tighter by 1/16th to 1/8th turns until I get the tone I want. Just another suggestion
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    I also use the Tune-Bot and its well worth the expense. When you are tuning - no matter which head you start with, just make sure you have the same "tone" at each of the 8 or 10 tuning rods - and as was mentioned... too tight on the reso will choke the drum ... too loose and you get a dull thud sound. The Tune-Bot will make it so much easier to get you close to where you can make small adjustments. I usually start with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns on the Reso head tuning rods and then check it with the Tune-Bot and make slight adjustments, usually tighter by 1/16th to 1/8th turns until I get the tone I want. Just another suggestion

This is a an old Thread. But just stumbled upon it. I have come upon a "weird" Snare drum Hack. Some months ago, being disgusted because i could not get to where I wanted tuning my DW Nickel over Brass 14 X 6.5, I placed it on my PDP Maple Floor Tom (16 X 14 deep). When I hit the drum while playing a fill at home - Bingo It sounded Great!! Same with my smaller PDP maple snare 14 X5.5. Both have HD dry Batter heads. As soon as I took the drum off the Tom, it was not as good! I experimented for months with using a Tom batter head in the snare stand. That worked pretty well, but not the same. I posted this Hack in the forum under a different thread. I tried many different heads (watching YT reviews and recommendations from posters here too) but I could not achieve the same Ludwig Supraphonic type sound. In fact, both drums sound different when I use an old 16 X 16 Floor tom form a cheapo kit vs the 16 X 14 PDP floor tom! An added benefit, all Snare Buzz is eliminated from the Toms, controlled Overtones from the snares. It's weird, but I'm using this for now. I don't Gig, just a 71 yo Recreational Drummer, playing in retirement about 1 hour a day. BTW, I resurrected Playing after 50 Years!! [1969]. I have learned so much during the past few years after resurging that I knew nothing about way back then.