Thread: Great example of playing off each other

User Info Menu

Default Great example of playing off each other

Stumbled across this great vid of Atlanta Rythm Section. Besides having a phenomenal lead guitar, notice how well the drummer plays off the guitar players solo. He follows the rhythmic style and dynamics of the guitar to support the solo. You can hear the guitar player fishing around slightly at the start of the solo, until he finds his groove and starts to develop and expand on a theme. All the while, the drummer just hangs back and keeps the tempo and groove flowing to keep the guitar on track. Once they hook up, it's golden. These guys are incredible musicians, but the concept applies to all of us.

(There's tons of guitar solo, but I'm referring to the solo at the 5:00 mark)

http://youtu.be/dXq-t6o38MQ
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 04-19-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Great example of playing off each other

Ugh....I hate Rickenbacker Bass guitars......... (not Paul's playing).

Don't get me wrong....I have a huge soft spot in my heart for this band.

I met Paul Goddard (RIP) during the Champagne Jam tour. Actually met and spent the evening with whole band. I was 13 or 14 years old and they were absolutely fantastic to me. Ronnie was terrific....actually approached me and introduced himself to me as I stood there. I got to spend the entire show backstage and had an "All Access" pass. The drummer at the time ROY YEAGER invited me into the catered dressing room area and myself along with a bunch of other people and we all had some food and drinks after the show. We talked drums and just hung out. He jokingly offered me a beer - but gave me a Pepsi.

One of the smoothest bands I've ever heard.

But still.....ugh ...that bass sounds horrible.

(edit: Should probably explain why I was there. My Dad was a big shot with the American Red Cross at the time. He was in charge of the first aid/medical station back stage. He would often take me along to events and he took me to this one.)

Also...a correction ...it was during the "Quiniella Tour", not Champagne Jam.
    Last edited by EddieV; 04-19-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Great example of playing off each other

That's funny, I was going to comment on the sound of the Rick. I actually LIKE the clean, punchy sound and high end of a Rick, but it does seem exaggerated in the video. My brother has a '74 Rick that he bought new and played in various bands until the '90s. It definitely sounds unique. The sharp edge on top was creating issues with pain in his right forearm (resting on it), so he switched to a hot rodded P-bass. He just bought a new Hartke bass amp (15" tilt back, 500W with aluminum cone) and the P-bass sounds way better through it than the Rick. The Hartke has a great blend of definition, high end and low end rumble. Enough power to play any gig we do.....and it only weighs 36lbs.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham