Thread: looking for new gear

User Info Menu

Default looking for new gear

I am looking for new gear for my church. We are interested in new conga, conga quinto and tumba plus bongos. We have afro percussion now and even lonestar percussion can't find heads for them. There is a 12" drum and a 6" bongo. I am looking for something that sounds great on stands and isn't really heavy. I want drums that are fairly easy to find heads for. I would like to have mule heads for the congas are these commercially available or do I have to find someone who will mount them for me? We have a limited budget so I would like the most bang for the buck! around 600 or so dollars a drum. I think as long as the finishes match the conga and bongos don't have to be the same brand.
    These drums stay in the church all week and we are near Atlanta. The building isn't temp controlled during the week so you can imagine it gets pretty warm in the summer! Would fiberglass be a better choice than wood?

User Info Menu

Default Re: looking for new gear

Pm me. I saw a really good deal on a set of congas in one of the Atlanta area GC's.

User Info Menu

Default can't PM yet

I can't pm until I have 25 posts! Forum rules. Have a Facebook page or twitter address you would be willing to give me?
    Last edited by congaman59; 04-19-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: bad grammer

User Info Menu

Alpharetta GC has a good deal on a set of used meinl congas. 3 drums on stands for $450. Used, but in very good shape. As far as the conditions they will be in, I think they will be ok as long as you de-tune the heads after you are done using them.

User Info Menu

Did you try Ebay? You can usually find heads cheap online.

User Info Menu

not really looking for heads now looking for drums.

User Info Menu

Look at a Cajon, sounds great and no heads required
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Well, if the temperature control is an issue, just get synthetic heads...the Evans ones sound bad IMO, but Remo makes some very nice ones. I have them on my bongos and they sound basically identical to skin and they don't have any plastic overtones or weird resonance.

User Info Menu

Probably LP Aspires will give you the more bang for the buck. In terms of temperature resistance, fiberglass would be better than wood.
    musically yours,
    Seneferu

User Info Menu

I have a set of Gon Bops congas and they are pretty good but expensive if price is a concern. My bongos are Toca and I also have a hand-carved djembe with a goat skin head.

I am happy with the sound from all of them and have never had an issue where the heads needed to be changed.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey