Thread: Ludwig Snare lovers... I owe you an apology! lol

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Snare lovers... I owe you an apology! lol

Up until recently, my personal experience with Ludwig snares consisted of a 7x14 Ludwig Epic (20ply birch), an Acrolite (that I never fully gave the time of day to tune and sold to fund something else when I was younger), a 5x14 LM300 (steel that was sup'd up with Supra lugs) and a 6.5x14 Black Beauty that sounded great but not a lot better than a DW Black Brass or a World Max Brass. I wasn't impressed enough with any of these snares to keep them and I have been one of the "Ludwig snares are all hype" crowd... well I recently got a 70's era Acrolite (for $60 with UFO case) and today I just added an LM400 from Nov. 9, 1971 (for $80) and I am so blown away and proven wrong! LOL When I was younger I associated 8 lug snares with low end and never really gave the Acro a real chance. It was given to me my band teacher and I threw and old head on it, didn't like the sound (I wasn't any good at tuning yet) and I sold it. I've since matured and know better about 8 lug snares so I decided that I'd pick up an Acro if I found one by chance for a great price. This drum sounds great! I put a die-cast hoop on top with an Evans Onyx head, hazy Amb on bottom with 42 strand wires and it immediately earned a place in my drum heart vault! LOL Then today I find a 71 Supra in a pawn shop for $175 and I could tell it had been sitting in there for a while. I wasn't too pressed to get it since I literally just got an Acro but when he said his best price was $80 out the door, I had to buy it! That drum had an old EC Snare head on it still sounded good in the pawn shop parking lot! Gonna put a 1ply coated head on top, hazy Amb on the bottom and a set of 20 strand Puresound Blasters on this one. I say all that to say this... I apologize for not believing many of you who recommended to me personally to try an Acro or a Supra. The snares I have had weren't my cup of tea, but these are great! Anybody else have an experience like this? LOL
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Snare lovers... I owe you an apology! lol

Those sound like really good buys. I've only owed 3 Ludwig snares. 70's Acrolite which I did use for quite a while. I sold it with a kit after I got a Dynasonic COB. kind of regret it. Like you I can tune a lot better now, and think I would enjoy more. The others are a 60's Pioneer, and a 80's chrome wrap SL sieres (later known a rockers) 4 ply poplar. I never cared much for either of these. I would like to get one of those ludalloy models supras. I guess there's a reason the Ludwigs are so popular. You just discovered it I think.

User Info Menu

Good post, dirtysticks!

I have a '76 LM400 in very nice condition that I purchased a couple of years ago. I've had a frustrating time with the throw-off sticking and both it and a couple of the lugs de-tensioning, but I've just this week fitted a Dunnett R4-L and Puresound Custom Pro 20-strand snares, and a couple of Tuna locks cured the loose lugs.

Through it all I stuck with it 'cos it just sounds awesome.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

back in the day they knew what was up! But sounds like you did quite the change to it... die cast hoops, new snare strands... but either way what's important is that you love it!

User Info Menu

Ludwig rules snares world!! Time tested and proven!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I usually prefer wood snares and I own three good vintage maple snare drums.

The best metal snare I ever had was a 1973 Supra and I regretted trading it for many years.

Recently I bought a new 7X13 Black Magic and I am happy once again.
    And I really like the 13 inch size.

And yes, I agree..............most Ludwig snares are worth a second look.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The first "good" snare that I ever bought was an Acrolite and I used it for many years. Since then, I've been thru DW Collectors Maples, Yamaha Anton Figs, Pearl Free Floaters, Black Panthers, Supraphonics and a succession of others. None of them sounded great to me. But, it wasn't the snare's fault - it was mine. I just simply didn't know how to tune. Now, I don't there is any snare drum or drum set that I could not make sound great. Nothing special in me - one just needs to learn how to tune drums.

In short, those great sounding snares have been there all along - I just didn't know how to best utilize them.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    The first "good" snare that I ever bought was an Acrolite and I used it for many years. Since then, I've been thru DW Collectors Maples, Yamaha Anton Figs, Pearl Free Floaters, Black Panthers, Supraphonics and a succession of others. None of them sounded great to me. But, it wasn't the snare's fault - it was mine. I just simply didn't know how to tune. Now, I don't there is any snare drum or drum set that I could not make sound great. Nothing special in me - one just needs to learn how to tune drums.

In short, those great sounding snares have been there all along - I just didn't know how to best utilize them.

GeeDeeEmm
    I'm glad I gave Ludwig snares a 2nd try now that I am a much better tuner... still not sold on the black beauty tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I usually prefer wood snares and I own three good vintage maple snare drums.

The best metal snare I ever had was a 1973 Supra and I regretted trading it for many years.

Recently I bought a new 7X13 Black Magic and I am happy once again.
    And I really like the 13 inch size.

And yes, I agree..............most Ludwig snares are worth a second look.
    I did like the black magic that I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Ludwig rules snares world!! Time tested and proven!

all the best...
    Thanks, I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    back in the day they knew what was up! But sounds like you did quite the change to it... die cast hoops, new snare strands... but either way what's important is that you love it!
    I really like it even more with the die cast on top and 42 wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    Good post, dirtysticks!

I have a '76 LM400 in very nice condition that I purchased a couple of years ago. I've had a frustrating time with the throw-off sticking and both it and a couple of the lugs de-tensioning, but I've just this week fitted a Dunnett R4-L and Puresound Custom Pro 20-strand snares, and a couple of Tuna locks cured the loose lugs.

Through it all I stuck with it 'cos it just sounds awesome.
    I already know that eventually I'll change the throws. Kinda glitchy on the supra.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Those sound like really good buys. I've only owed 3 Ludwig snares. 70's Acrolite which I did use for quite a while. I sold it with a kit after I got a Dynasonic COB. kind of regret it. Like you I can tune a lot better now, and think I would enjoy more. The others are a 60's Pioneer, and a 80's chrome wrap SL sieres (later known a rockers) 4 ply poplar. I never cared much for either of these. I would like to get one of those ludalloy models supras. I guess there's a reason the Ludwigs are so popular. You just discovered it I think.
    I have finally heard for myself what others speak of.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Damn you and your pawn shop snare thieving. The last acrolite (keystone in ave. condition) I saw in a pawn shop here locally was priced higher than you got some of those DWs for.

Welcome to the Ludwig snare world. You now know why 6 of my 9 snares bear the Ludwig name, with half 1964 or earlier.
    Last edited by Rotarded; 04-23-2016 at 07:25 PM.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I found a Keystone Acro at a pawn shop that they are asking $150 for but I'm not too interested since I have this one in great condition, and a Supra.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

the other night 2 drummers were using the Acro's. One sound decent but the other one not so much
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I was digging around in my closet last week and I stumbled upon a broken up plastic snare drum case. I opened it up and found a blue and olive Ludwig Acrolite 5x14" snare. Pics or it didn't happen right? I couldn't believe my eyes because I don't ever remembering buying one back in the '70s...until I turned the snare around and found my wife's name written with a Sharpie! Reminded me of what my mom used to do on my school lunch pail so it wouldn't get mixed up or lost but I had to ask my wife ".....Why on an Acrolite snare???"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I was digging around in my closet last week and I stumbled upon a broken up plastic snare drum case. I opened it up and found a blue and olive Ludwig Acrolite 5x14" snare. Pics or it didn't happen right? I couldn't believe my eyes because I don't ever remembering buying one back in the '70s...until I turned the snare around and found my wife's name written with a Sharpie! Reminded me of what my mom used to do on my school lunch pail so it wouldn't get mixed up or lost but I had to ask my wife ".....Why on an Acrolite snare???"

I've got the same snare as this.

How do these rate overall?