Thread: Coordination!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Coordination!!!!

I noticed that I lack a lot of good coordination. I would like to know what I could do to increase my level of coordination. I'm not a noobie to drumming. I have all the basic coordinations down. I just need to get better at it still. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

I guess you could practice flams and single strokes/double strokes between all limbs. And RLK triplets. Try and do four on the floor beats, they should help between snare and bass co-ordination as well as hi hat and bass.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weslapootayn View Post
    I noticed that I lack a lot of good coordination. I would like to know what I could do to increase my level of coordination. I'm not a noobie to drumming. I have all the basic coordinations down. I just need to get better at it still. Thanks!!
    Pardon but it sounds like you're contradicting yourself:

1. I lack a lot of good coordination
    2. I have all the basic coordinations down

I would be happy to add my two cents but would you please be more specific? Thanks, and welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

haha yeah I guess you're right, I did contradict myself a little lol. Let's just throw everything I said out the window about my having 'all the basic coordinations down'. Just forget I said that. I just need some coordination exercises, that's all. If you could hook me up with some that would be nice.

User Info Menu

Have you seen this yet?

http://drumbum.com/lessons/

It's all free! You'll find some great links to cooridination exercises there. If I can answer anything more specific, let me know.

User Info Menu

welcome ,and all I have to add is practice..practice..practice..I rememberbeing in your shoes and asking the same question..it will come

User Info Menu

Here's some fairly basic coordination exercises. First play 8th notes on the ride cymbal while playing 1/4 notes with your foot on the hi-hat, 2 and 4 on snare and 1 and 3 on the bass. Then, while keeping the same hits on your snare hand as well as your bass foot, change up the patterns between your ride hand and your hi-hat foot. A progression of notes on the hat-hat (played with your foot) while playing 8ths on the ride could be first, 1/4 notes, then 1/8ths, then &s, then & a's, etc......hope that makes sense to you. Blessings......

User Info Menu

100% agree Middleman.
    I have recently started to really try to add my left foot in on the qtrs as I hardly ever used it to be honest.

My teacher has given me some basic patterns ( a little tougher than what you outlined in your post but still basic ) and I have found that just by keeping the rythym going with your left foot generally makes all the drumming easier ( hard to explain ) but it just seems to 'flow' better.

I have done excercises like you outlined and then moved the right foot to some &'s or to some e's and a's once I get a pattern going, then I find you can also start to rest some right foots as well to break things up a little more.

Once you get a few basic patterns down that you are cumfy with try switching to some 16ths on the hat for a measure or two while keeping your feet going the same/ similar pattern, then back to 8ths on the ride.

And many have said it before me.....practice lots.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Jim Chapin has a method book that covers coordination that just about everyone Jazz drummer has worked on and used called "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer". If your into playing jazz at all it's a must get. Basically he takes the basic swing ride pattern (which you play untill you can do it in your sleep) and you put it with every possible combination of snare patterns.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Default Jim Chapin - Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer

It's the jazz drummer's bible. A very famous book. Great for all drummers, not just those in jazz.

User Info Menu

A good exersive is playnig the spangelang on the ride cymbal, keeping time with the hihat and doing whaterver with your other two limbs. (Make sure that you keeping good time and doing the spangelang correctly before you start useing your other limbs.)
    Frustrating at first but a good exersize.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by vinnysimmo; 11-20-2007 at 03:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Spangelang...erm.
    what
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Spangelang...erm.
    what
    What he's referring to is the basic swing ride pattern:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.