Thread: so much to learn, so little time (warning Heavy music).

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default so much to learn, so little time (warning Heavy music).

I have been working so hard on my funk, jazz, grooves, and fundamentals that I really havn't been working on my speed or endurance for my metal band.

This is when they slap me with 7 new songs to learn and one being 12 minutes long. lol.

We are due to record late this fall, this is the first 5 minutes from the 12 minute song, I had been practising some endurance exercises for about 2 hours prior so the tempo change around 2:45 was REALLY hard to blast that fast.

No vocals on these scratch tracks and my mixing is awful as I am not a good engineer, Thankfully I have a few waves plugins that make my drums sound half decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-bpquro4I8
    Last edited by scottyp; 06-29-2016 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: so much to learn, so little time (warning Heavy music).

Somehow the link got corrupted (and thus doesn't work), but here's an embed:

Nice work! You look very relaxed, which I wouldn't imagine just listening!

User Info Menu

well thank you sir.

The double strokes allow me to relax.

User Info Menu

That was good . You were cruzin pretty good too. I just recently learned how to play the dbls like that on my kicks. I like what you're doing.

User Info Menu

My legs are pretty relaxed these days which allow me to free up my hands.

Those blast beats around 3:00 destroy me though. I think that's near 230 bpm... we have one song that's 240 on the album.. I am really having to build my endurance for this one.

i find practising 10 minutes on a pad, just 16th note single strokes and playing them clean is really good for this.

even 180-190 bpm for 10 minutes while working on consistency burns up the arms pretty good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mottster View Post
    Somehow the link got corrupted (and thus doesn't work), but here's an embed:

Nice work! You look very relaxed, which I wouldn't imagine just listening!
    Wow.............absolutely no way my body could do that for longer than a measure or two.

Good stuff

User Info Menu

So I have been working on my hand speed and foot speed singles for about 2 months straight as we have 8 songs like this to record.. uggh.

30 minutes on the pad... then 30 minutes directed at feet. It has helped a ton..

I have never worked on just my left foot for using in grooves but what a difference it makes in independence and endurance for double kick.

I may post my warmup/practice routine shortly.. It could be shortened but it makes me sweat lol. setting a click and working on singles on a dead practice pad is murder but after a few weeks what a difference it makes

User Info Menu

Wow! Incredible work, mu man. Tight as fu#@ and great sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Wow.............absolutely no way my body could do that for longer than a measure or two.

Good stuff
    Yep.
    And THATS why I don't play in the genre....and never will
    If I can't play the song with one hand while the other hand reaches for my adult beverage, it's too fast!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I enjoyed that . I thought it was great. Really like your snare sound and foot work. All round great drumming IMHO. Thanks for sharing.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If I can't play the song with one hand while the other hand reaches for my adult beverage, it's too fast!
    Now there's a motto one can live by.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yep.
    And THATS why I don't play in the genre....and never will

Haha I have tried this a few times in previous bands

I can't even have a few drinks before getting on the stage playing this stuff. I need to be at 100%. I guess you wouldn't have a few drinks before going to the gym, or for a run.. This is pretty much a cardio workout for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    Haha I have tried this a few times in previous bands

I can't even have a few drinks before getting on the stage playing this stuff. I need to be at 100%. I guess you wouldn't have a few drinks before going to the gym, or for a run.. This is pretty much a cardio workout for me.
    That's funny because it would take me a whole lot of drinks to be able to "listen" to it!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Haha understandable. metal (specifically the extreme stuff) isn't for everyone.

It's fun to play though. I have yet to be told that I am overplaying when doing this stuff.

Any other band I play in I really have to hold back, but sometimes it's nice to do that as well.

As soon as I can find some decent funk musicians that is my next project.