Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

If truly the dream set, then why weren't they purchased first?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    If truly the dream set, then why weren't they purchased first?

all the best...
    Who among us ever bought their dream set first? Yes, ten years ago I bought a Craviotto and then started taking my first lessons, but last week I finally got that CB700 I've always wanted.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I did not get my dream kit till 2005. So I waited all these years because of money issues and other priorities. My first kit back in the 67 was an old second beat up 3 pce Pearl ( paid 50.00) kit got rid of it in 1984. Went that long till I got my 5 pce MCX in 2005 and paid cash for it.
    So Rich go for it man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Looks like 10,12,14,16,22 to me. I'm confused about how you see DW shells and Gretsch shells as the same. Gretsch uses a proprietary maple/gum shell with 30 degree bearing edges and painted interiors. DW uses an all maple shell with re-rings, a bare interior, 45 degree edges on toms, 60 degrees on bass and snare. Except for being ply shell drums they literally couldn't be more different. Back on topic, Get These Drums! Take it from a Collectors player, you don't need to test drive them. They are insanely good. No hype, no kool-aid. As far as ply drums go, they are equal to or better than every other professional, high end drums.
    Yes there are certainly differences but they are both richly toned maple ply drums. I guess I was getting at something complimentary to his other main kit(s) like a birch, mahogany or something very different.
    I play Collectors and certainly recommend them so I'd love to see Rich get them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Who among us ever bought their dream set first? Yes, ten years ago I bought a Craviotto and then started taking my first lessons, but last week I finally got that CB700 I've always wanted.
    Mine was the second set I owned. Thirty three years, still they're the "main" set and still playing them.

all the best...

User Info Menu

my collectors kit sat on the store's shelves for years too, overpriced @ $5500 CAD...shell pack only...price dropped eventually to $4000, my mortgage was up for renewal, we put a bit more on to the mortgage, I got an Exotic wood DW kit!

User Info Menu

Rich,

I absolutely agree with some of the other replies..............I'm sure you could sell a couple of your kits or cymbal packs and get close to the same price

It would be great to have, but if it causes friction at home, it's not worth it IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Don't do it.
    Where's Bish and why are you posting on his account!

User Info Menu

The price is right, I would have bought them already!

I currently own 8 kits though, so you may just want to ignore me, one of them is a DW exotic though, haha.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all you replies everybody. Very good advice from all.

Got the wife on board with my plans. Took the advice of many and told here I'm thinning the "herd" but what surprised me the most is that she had stashed $1,100 away for a "rainy day fund".

She gave it to me and said go "chase away those dark clouds...and enjoy life!!" That gesture broke me down to tears!!

Here's the I made deal:

Maybe one I'll add on??

User Info Menu

Awesome on all accounts, Rich! Congrats on the gorgeous new kit.

Tex

User Info Menu

That's pretty awesome man, congrats!

Looks like you even got them to include tax in the $2500, really nice deal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Awesome on all accounts, Rich! Congrats on the gorgeous new kit.

Tex
    Thanks Tex..I took a tape measure with me since the kit didn't have any sizes in the store's computer since it's been "buried" in their data base for such a long time. The kick is actually 18x22" instead of the 18"x20" as I assumed it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    That's pretty awesome man, congrats!

Thanks! I was surprised it was $2500 Out the Door too. I paid $1300 for the Gretsch '57 so I ate $500. The manager had doubts about the worth and the availability of the '57 as used kits so I watched him do a ebay search, (which I did before showing up to the store) and there was only one complete kit available as "new" and was it was overpriced at $1900.00. The '57 snares were averaging $650 (again over priced) and if I wanted to keep the '57 and make it a double bass kit, $650 would of been the asking price for a matching 18x22" kick. Got tired of the looking at the '57 chevrons but took good care of the kit knowing one day I would be selling these off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Agreed....................unbeatable deal.
    I'll be interested in your "ear" assessment.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's awesome. Can't wait to see them set up with your other kits.

User Info Menu

Awesome Rich................it's great your better half supported you!

She sounds like a great woman who cares a lot about you, probably helps that she is a drummer too!!...................congrats on the new DWs...................they are absolutely beautiful!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Agreed....................unbeatable deal.
    I'll be interested in your "ear" assessment.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    That's awesome. Can't wait to see them set up with your other kits.
    Thanks bongos! I'm getting ready to post two kit up on my CL. Hopefully I can cover the remaining balance due if I get any takers...
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Awesome Rich................it's great your better half supported you!

She sounds like a great woman who cares a lot about you, probably helps that she is a drummer too!!...................congrats on the new DWs...................they are absolutely beautiful!!!!
    Thanks Butch. she sure is!! ...with all of my "bad luck" ordering kit's online and only to be disappointed when the box arrives are broke up, it was reassuring there are deals still to be had locally in the "Brick and Mortar" mom and pops indie music stores. I had to lock in the price before I even mentioned a trade so the sales guy couldn't juggle the numbers which I knew wouldn't happen since I trusted these guys, but you never know. Here's the actual invoice before we talked about the '57 trade in.

Last edited by late8; 05-02-2016 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats! You did good. I think $800 trade-in is more than fair on the '57's, considering you traded on a deeply discounted new kit. The place has to resale them at a competitive price ($1000?) and still make SOME money on them. AND....tell your wife she's been nominated for "awesome drummer wife of the month" on DC.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Congrats! You did good. I think $800 trade-in is more than fair on the '57's, considering you traded on a deeply discounted new kit. The place has to resale them at a competitive price ($1000?) and still make SOME money on them. AND....tell your wife she's been nominated for "awesome drummer wife of the month" on DC.
    Thank you Brian...I'll pass along your very kind compliment as soon as I get home and show her this thread and all of the other thoughtful comments from this fine group we have here on DC.
    Last edited by late8; 05-02-2016 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I had to lock in the price before I even mentioning a trade so the sales guy couldn't juggle the numbers which I knew wouldn't happen since I trusted these guys, but you never know. Here's the actual invoice before we talked about the '57 trade in.
    I'm betting the store does well with the Gretsch 57 kit.
    Those are getting harder to find and (IMO) will appreciate over time as they are a unique design of an affordable, quality Renown shell.
    In addition, your black & white are the most attractive color-scheme available and they are in immaculate condition.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'm betting the store does well with the Gretsch 57 kit.
    Those are getting harder to find and (IMO) will appreciate over time as they are a unique design of an affordable, quality Renown shell.
    In addition, your black & white are the most attractive color-scheme available and they are in immaculate condition.
    I was very nervous. I asked the manager if he wanted to see the kit when I mentioned I wanted to trade it in after I locked down the discount. He hesitated and went straight to ebay and looked for availability and price on the used '57 stuff. Not much up there and very over-priced in my opinion. This is a very niche design. Gretsch gambled on a limited run and then had "blow-out" prices when the inventory just sat around for months. I remember the 18" 4pc. "Bop kits" very going for $899 new with the matching snare and throne included. That's just nuts in my opinion. The DW Performance Series 5pc. with matching snare start at 2K.

Last edited by late8; 05-02-2016 at 03:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Didn't they make a turquoise & white kit? I would KILL to have a 4pc Turquoise '57 kit with matching snare & throne!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Boy! that pic says it all! that's one happy dude! congrats, man. I hope that it will give you happiness and fulfillment every time you sit behind those suckers!

User Info Menu

Great news Rich,happy it worked out and a great wife you have..my wife usually gives me the roll eyes when I want something off CL,and I only have one kit! but she's lightening up a bit because she knows I love playing and I play them every day

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the acquisition of your dream kit. From the looks of the pic above, I'm sure they'll be bringing joy to your ears, heart, and soul soon enough ...