Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Didn't they make a turquoise & white kit? I would KILL to have a 4pc Turquoise '57 kit with matching snare & throne!
    Yes, Gretsch made the MotorCity Blue and Red kits. The blue kit was the first to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Boy! that pic says it all! that's one happy dude! congrats, man. I hope that it will give you happiness and fulfillment every time you sit behind those suckers!
    Thanks Doc! Don't get me wrong, the Gretsch USA Custom is a great sounding kit with the 30 degree bearing edges, it takes me back to the "old school" days of the '50s & '60s, especially when I hear Charlie Watts playing them on the Stones albums but with the 45 degree bearing edges cut on this kit, I can't wait to be able to walk from kit to kit and see what the "hub-bub" is about these DW Collectors or DW drum in general. As a 2007 kit, I know it came out before the newer ply design layering right? I should research a bit more to see what the differences are and to see if the DW folks have a preference on which design of shell construction makes any difference in sound.

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Great news Rich,happy it worked out and a great wife you have..my wife usually gives me the roll eyeswhen I want something off CL,and I only have one kit but she's lightening up a bit because she knows I love playing and I play them every day
    Thank you myk. Sounds like she's witnessing a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Congratulations on the acquisition of your dream kit. From the looks of the pic above, I'm sure they'll be bringing joy to your ears, heart, and soul soon enough ...
    Thanks dangermoney. I'm a sucker for anything made of wood, especially drum shells with a stained or lacquered finish. I took woodshop in high school and fell in love with the smell, touch and of course the look of wood grain. We spent a pretty "penny" with the wood flooring on our home and I think the DW's 1st photoshoot will be inside the house.

User Info Menu

I think I ditched the Gretsch 57's at the right time. The badges started to lift off of the corners of both rack toms.

10" tom:

12" tom:

User Info Menu

Rich, I'm a little late to the game here but I'm glad you pulled the trigger on these. I would have agreed with the other guys to think the herd a bit.

Your wife RULES! haha. What an awesome thing she did. Glad this is working out. Continued thoughts and prayers, my friend.

User Info Menu

I never doubted you buying this for a second! Lol. Glad you have achieved a dream by getting the DWs. I can't wait to see your in depth analysis of your new baby.

User Info Menu

Congrats that is one sweet looking kit. Your going to love it too.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Rich, first off, a hearty congratulations on getting your dream kit! I am thrilled for you. And how fabulous that your wife was so caring, and to recognize the importance, to you, of a drum set. She may not understand it, but she clearly knows what matters to YOU! One thing of note is that a DW set of 2007 vintage may not have the DW True Hoop rims. The current sets have the 'True Hoop' logo pressed into the vertical part of the rim, but older sets may have the True Hoop technology, but just not the logo. See if you can find out if your new set has them. Not critical either way, and you can always 'upgrade' if you want.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Rich, I'm a little late to the game here but I'm glad you pulled the trigger on these. I would have agreed with the other guys to think the herd a bit.

Your wife RULES! haha. What an awesome thing she did. Glad this is working out. Continued thoughts and prayers, my friend.
    Thanks Mark! I appreciate your kind words and well wishes! It means millions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I never doubted you buying this for a second! Lol. Glad you have achieved a dream by getting the DWs. I can't wait to see your in depth analysis of your new baby.
    Thanks Yoda...missed you man. I'm glad you stopped by!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Congrats that is one sweet looking kit. Your going to love it too.
    MDK, your first reply to this thread nailed it. It was such a well written and timely response which meant a great deal to me. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Congrats Rich. Those are amazing, can't wait to see them in person
    Last edited by topdog63; 05-04-2016 at 11:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Really happy for you , man! I bought my dream kit a couple of years ago (Ludwig Legacies) and I have not regretted doing that for a second. I found that the itch was gone after I bought that kit - total GAS relief! (well, not totally true. I also had a Mapex Meridian kit but I sold it to put towards a C&C kit. The C&C kit has wood hoops and that was kind of on the dream list too).

So, not that you need to convince / placate your wife - it was such an awesome thing she did for you, but, you may want to pass onto her that there are testimonials on Drum Chat claiming that buying your dream kit is a cure for GAS. And that, my friend, will be good for your health and wallet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    Collins grays Rich. Those are amazing, can't wait to see them in person
    Thanks man!! Can't wait to meet you topdog63!!

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Really happy for you , man! I bought my dream kit a couple of years ago (Ludwig Legacies) and I have not regretted doing that for a second. I found that the itch was gone after I bought that kit - total GAS relief! (well, not totally true. I also had a Mapex Meridian kit but I sold it to put towards a C&C kit. The C&C kit has wood hoops and that was kind of on the dream list too).

So, not that you need to convince / placate your wife - it was such an awesome thing she did for you, but, you may want to pass onto her that there are testimonials on Drum Chat claiming that buying your dream kit is a cure for GAS. And that, my friend, will be good for your health and wallet.
    Thanks for sharing your story ludleg! I think once I have this kit in my hands, my GAS will be cured right? Hmmmm...I see a nice set of K's would go good with this kit???

User Info Menu

,haha gas never stops..It is a sickness,you think you're done but then that little drummer voice in your head says..hey it would be nice to have.......
    That happens to me I get something think OK that's it my kit is done..but then..hmmm I wonder what's on cl

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 05-03-2016 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow awesome drums.....I'm sure you'll enjoy them.....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

,haha gas never stops..It is a sickness,you think you're done but then that little drummer voice in your head says..hey it would be nice to have.......
    That happens to me I get something think OK that's it my kit is done..but then..hmmm I wonder what's on cl

Mike
    I've decided that if you don't have GAS, you're not passionate about your craft...whatever it may be. Cars, guitars, drums, etc.. If you don't have GAS, you're a slacker (or you're married)
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've decided that if you don't have GAS, you're not passionate about your craft...whatever it may be. Cars, guitars, drums, etc.. If you don't have GAS, you're a slacker (or you're married)
    I guess I'm not a slacker, I never married,never had kids and my master bedroom is my drum room!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Ludleg makes a great point..............
    Further............Rich, with your talents, you could rip all of the statements from this thread associated with our appreciation of your wife's actions on this acquisition and create a supplemental tribute for the upcoming Mother's Day celebration..............like a DC acknowledgement to a drum-princess.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm so stoked for you, Rich. This has been a really cool thread to follow. You and your wife are a shining example of love in action.
    I am also very excited to meet you guys and all your sweet kits next month.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Mike
    Mike, you've got a line on me man! I was on CL looking for some used K's...

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Wow awesome drums.....I'm sure you'll enjoy them.....

Jim
    Thanks Jim! I'm looking forward it!!

Brian, you missed your calling...great wit and a way with words. You should be a writer...or make millions with a "self help book"...I'm serious

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I guess I'm not a slacker, I never married,never had kids and my master bedroom is my drum room!
    (Sighs)...those Yamaha's wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Ludleg makes a great point..............
    Further............Rich, with your talents, you could rip all of the statements from this thread associated with our appreciation of your wife's actions on this acquisition and create a supplemental tribute for the upcoming Mother's Day celebration..............like a DC acknowledgement to a drum-princess.
    That's a wonderful idea Ricky!! I told her about the many touching and kind comments and advice so many of you here have given me, I'll cut and paste and make her a custom made Mother's Day Card with all of the quotes. P.S. Thanks for the reminder. It's this Sunday isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I'm so stoked for you, Rich. This has been a really cool thread to follow. You and your wife are a shining example of love in action.
    I am also very excited to meet you guys and all your sweet kits next month.
    JohnnyG, I know we'll have a great time!! Looking forward to meeting your son and GF too!!! BTW, I love Italian food (hint hint)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Brian, you missed your calling...great wit and a way with words. You should be a writer...or make millions with a "self help book"...I'm serious
    Funny, but my wife has a completely different opinion of my "gift"
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Funny, but my wife has a completely different opinion of my "gift"
    See?? What I did I tell ya?? That was too funny!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'll cut and paste and make her a custom made Mother's Day Card with all of the quotes. P.S. Thanks for the reminder. It's this Sunday isn't it?
    Yes..............don't forget...............here is the schedule:

Saturday = Kentucky Derby -- mint julep is mandatory;

Sunday = Mothers' Day -- customized card and nice dinner.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great drums, lovely finish too.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

DO IT!

Seriously, this would forever be the kit that got away.

I own and love a DW Collector's Series kit as well as Gretsch USA Custom kit. They are different animals, but both are awesome kits.

I started lusting after a set of DWs in the late 1990s, I finally got mine in the summer of 2008. It was worth the wait.

I too would likely set a couple of kits to fund this.

I have a set of mid 1970's Slingerlands and a set of 1964 Leedys. The DWs, Gretsch, and those two kits are my forever drums. The other kits that I own are nice, but I wouldn't miss them.

Keep the Gretsch USAs, and maybe one other kit, and go for the DWs.

By the way, I'm dealing with declining health too. Narrowing it down to a few good kits is a good thing.

Good luck!
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yes..............don't forget...............here is the schedule:

Saturday = Kentucky Derby -- mint julep is mandatory;

Sunday = Mothers' Day -- customized card and nice dinner.
    Ricky, you're wife is lucky to have such a thoughtful husband. Thanks for tip!! I'll skip the derby but will whip up a nice dinner for her + the custom card with members form DC who provided the kind quotes about her.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Great drums, lovely finish too.
    Thanks markthechuck! How do you like your DW Collectors?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    DO IT!

Seriously, this would forever be the kit that got away.

I own and love a DW Collector's Series kit as well as Gretsch USA Custom kit. They are different animals, but both are awesome kits.

I started lusting after a set of DWs in the late 1990s, I finally got mine in the summer of 2008. It was worth the wait.

I too would likely set a couple of kits to fund this.

I have a set of mid 1970's Slingerlands and a set of 1964 Leedys. The DWs, Gretsch, and those two kits are my forever drums. The other kits that I own are nice, but I wouldn't miss them.

Keep the Gretsch USAs, and maybe one other kit, and go for the DWs.

By the way, I'm dealing with declining health too. Narrowing it down to a few good kits is a good thing.

Good luck!
    Mike, I'm so glad you're posting here again and chimed in on this thread. I know you're super busy with all of your music projects, with the blues band with the full acoustic kits and I still think you're playing percussions in the "unplugged band" right?

If I'm not mistaken, I think you're the only member here that has both a Gretsch USA Custom and a DW Collectors kit among other classic vintage kits. I'm glad both the USA and the DW's are quite different in sound.

I'm looking for more of a "modern" sound and I think the 45 degree bearing edges verses the 30 degree edges cut on the Gretsch will make the difference my ears are yearning to hear.

I called the DW customer service number just a few minutes ago and spoke to a rep (Vince) to get some information on the 2007 Collectors series in the Twisted Exotic lacquered finish.

He said he's pretty certain it's the classic all maple shell since it wasn't custom ordered for any particular customer and sat as a demo model on the show room floor for such a long time.

It's obviously not a SSC ordered kit (Specialized Shell Construction), VLT (Vertical Low Timbre), HVLT (Horizontal Outside + Vertical Low Timbre) X-shells (Cross-laminated in an X pattern), or VLX (Vertical Low Timbre/Diagonal grain), typically made for the kick and large floor toms since the year stamped on the inside of the shell (2007) predates when DW started with the cross laminated ply construction process.

As far as adding a 14x16 floor tom, the rep said as long as the kit is NOT a wrap (which it isn't), DW can color match the lacquer finish to match the rest of the kit.

The only caveat is that I'll have to send in one of the original shells and I know it will cost an arm and a leg to have it made but it may be worth the cost to me.

Last edited by late8; 05-10-2016 at 01:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Dang, I wished you hadn't sold off that Gretsch renown kit. I would have given you more.

Bummer....

And congrats on the new kit. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person!
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 05-06-2016 at 11:31 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Congrats Rich and welcome to the dw club. My Exotic Collectors 14" FT sounds amazing but the 16" is incredible! It sounds like an 18". Mine are 2011 so they're SSC of course.
    Something to seriously consider.