Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

User Info Menu

Default What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

Been buying shell packs and cymbals from a mom and pops music store in my town since 1981 . Nothing short of being a loyal customer. New 5pc. Gretsch USA Custom kit in 2013, New Gretsch Renown 5pc. '57 MotorcCity Onyx in 2011, New Pearl '07 7pc. ECX double bass kit in 2008 and a used 5pc Pearl '06 Session Studio in 2010, plus scores of top line cymbals and many months of drum lessons throughout my 20's. The Pearl kits are gone now but I still have the Gretsch kits I bought from this store.

Took my 12 year old son to his guitar lesson at this store last week and found a "'new" 2007 5pc. DW Collectors shell pack in Twisted Exotic lacquer finish I've been eye balling since '08 discounted to $3300 USD. It's obviously been played out as a floor demo for nearly 9 years on their showroom floor. The heads are shot but the finish is in mint condition. Don't know why a store would think they could sell a kit at that price when 75% of the folks are blue collar workers who live near the store (like me).

The store told me they would sell it at a "VIP" price for $2500 + (8%) sales tax. I'm thinking of trading in my Gretech '57 Renowns to knock off some of the balance for this kit. Had the Renowns on my local CL for 2 weeks but not one hit and the wife is furious over the thought of me buying another kit. But it's one of my dream kits and here's my dilemma.

My health is weaning and I see the writing on the wall. If I don't "go for it" now, I'll never have a chance to own the two kits I cherish the most. The USA Custom was the first on my bucket list. The 2nd is a DW Collectors kit which is within arms reach but the wife is not happy about my need for another kit due to my health. I own 7.

I finally came to a conclusion. I'm going to go for it. Regardless on how much I lose on the trade in for the Renowns, I need to conquer this challenge in my life before it's too late and I'm going "all out". I'm crazy but it's the only thing that's keeping me going, owning a DW Collectors kit. I'm up for the challenge and it maybe my last. Drums have been in my life since I was 19. I'm pushing 60. I got my 1st job at 14 and have been working hard every day since. I think I'm due...

Specs:
    Kick: 18x20"
    Rack toms: 8" 10" 12" and 14" hanging tom. No snare.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you think? Last chance at my dream kit

Go for it, if you have 7 kits maybe try to sell 2 or 3 of them to offset the cost and calm the wife down a bit. I have always wanted a set of those motor city Renowns but they are hard to find now.

I have no doubt you could sell them for more than the store will give you for a trade in but you would probably have to sell on ebay and ship em and that's a pain. Maybe you could put them on layaway and slowly pay for it while waiting to sell some kits, do people use lay away any more?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Hard to give advice to a guy with 7 drumsets.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Rich,

You definitely need to get that kit! It's beautiful! Plus, it's been well seasoned, having been 'in play' for 9 years, and from the pictures you posted, it does look pretty much mint. Which I would think is harder to retain on a satin finish.

I agree with you, you've been working your whole life, and time may be running out on you...you should get what matters most to you. Just do the trade so your wife knows you gave it a fair shot (to reduce the number of kits and get some return on your prior drum investments).

I would ask the shop to provide you a set of new heads (the kind you want), though, in their VIP price. They shouldn't expect a floor kit to go out the door with almost decade old heads.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit man. You got to do, what you got to do man, that's what I say.

User Info Menu

not a big fan of the swirl or sizes but the $2500+ offer is pretty good. $4400+ with no snare is crazy...

$4400 > $880 per drum? $880 for a 10" tom!. I know a lot of the cost is in the kick but idk would need to think about that one
    Last edited by slinky; 04-30-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Do what you feel you need to to keep yourself in the game.

User Info Menu

I love the sizes myself. I prefer smaller kicks and toms for punch and projection. I also happen to love that twisted finish.
    I also agree quite firmly with the notion of doing it while you can still enjoy them to some degree. Whether you already have 7 kits or whatever is not even the point. It's your dream we're talking about. Emotional well being is so important for health and healing.
    I wish I was in the market for another kit. I'd love to help make this happen for you.
    I hope you have them by June for our BBQ!
    Btw, I totally agree they need to put fresh heads on too. 9 years of demo playing is a lot.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

So my local mom and pop shop drum guy explained how DW pricing works. Dealers have to price new kits at a certain level, meaning they cannot give huge discount prices. However kits that don't sell after so many years can be designated "pre-owned" and then the shop can offer it at cost. DW does not stock Collectors kits, so the shop bought that kit, custom ordered the sizes and finish. These deals don't come along too often and at that price, the drums will hold most or all of their value. This is a must buy situation.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

First have them set it up for you, try it out and see if it lives up to what you really need more than want.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-30-2016 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

just get it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    ...these deals don't come along too often and at that price, the drums will hold most or all of their value. This is a must buy situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    just get it
    I absolutely concur with these sentiments, Rich! I'm not sure if I should say numbers here, but I got my new DW Collectors Cherry kit for almost 45% off retail. The 'standard' is 35% off retail, but I know these numbers don't mean a thing for a kit that has been in stock for so many years. Still, I think the $2,500 price for the exotic kit is too good to pass up!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I would sell off some of the other kits that you weren't totally attached to, but would never part with the USA customs. You have some neat stuff in the collection, but you may need to downsize a bit to keep the wife happy and have the kit you have wanted for so long. You may be able to sell 2 or 3 other kits and get the DW for a minimal amount of money out of pocket. Then you win, and the wife is happy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    First have them set it up for you, try it out and see if it lives up to what you really need more than want.
    I agree. That's a lot to spend on any shell pack for someone like me. Just like a used car, I would have them set up and take 'em for a spin. Then determine if they still hold the intrigue and live up to the expectations in your mind. If so, then go for it. It may actually be a good idea to thin out your herd and get down to a couple kits that really "do it" for you. OR....you may play them and think, "Ehh.....". I guess you should keep in mind that the heads are old and probably not tuned the best.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    I would sell off some of the other kits that you weren't totally attached to, but would never part with the USA customs. You have some neat stuff in the collection, but you may need to downsize a bit to keep the wife happy and have the kit you have wanted for so long. You may be able to sell 2 or 3 other kits and get the DW for a minimal amount of money out of pocket. Then you win, and the wife is happy.
    ^this seems like a great idea!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

If you can afford it, get it! You only go around in this life once so do what makes you happy.

User Info Menu

Rich................if that is what you want, do it.

It has always been my opinion that, in theory, DW Collectors (just like Ludwig custom maples, which are both outstanding) are basically Gretsch USA drums with ugly lugs.............and superior marketing............that is a harsh description and one of my own assessment. In other words, if I own a set of USA Customs, I don't need anything from DW or Ludwig.

It could very well be that there is a difference between my old (Jasper) shells and your newer Gretsch shells; I will be interested in your opinion of the differences, once you get these DW drums and make an A/B comparison.

And, as you know, I think those B&W Renown 57s are awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Don't do it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Add a 16" and the "collection" is complete. It's true they're not all that different from your USA Customs.

User Info Menu

I'm with the majority, I would first play them as Olympass said, trade the Renown's and try to sell a couple or 3 like MDK said to keep your wife happy,you love the drums,they are your passion like everyone else on the forum, you are a great guy,and you owe it to yourself.

Mike

User Info Menu

Me personally...I'd get the wife on board first. Some how, some way. Maybe sell a few kits as opposed to just one. After you get this one, are you really going to play kits 3-7?

Just my opinion.

Tex

User Info Menu

If this is a kit you've really wanted and finances allow for it, I would not pass up the deal...great price and I don't think you would lose money on it if you ever decide to sell it..
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 05-02-2016 at 05:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Me personally...I'd get the wife on board first. Some how, some way. Maybe sell a few kits as opposed to just one. After you get this one, are you really going to play kits 3-7?

Just my opinion.

Tex
    Yep. Just tell her, "Honey, LOOK what I bought for you! Now I can teach you to play drums on your own kit! If you don't want them, then I won't be mad; I'll just keep them for myself and sell some of the other kits.".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post

Just my opinion.

Tex
    A good point Tex.....

It is difficult to be completely rational on the subject of 'dream' acquisition. One question I would definitely ask is - are these the sizes I want. If you were in a position to order a new custom set would you automatically opt for these sizes and configuration - if the answer is no, then you are buying someone else's dream.. If the answer is yes - Tex's suggestion of thinning the herd will help keep your wife onboard with the idea..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Add a 16" and the "collection" is complete. It's true they're not all that different from your USA Customs.
    Looks like 10,12,14,16,22 to me. I'm confused about how you see DW shells and Gretsch shells as the same. Gretsch uses a proprietary maple/gum shell with 30 degree bearing edges and painted interiors. DW uses an all maple shell with re-rings, a bare interior, 45 degree edges on toms, 60 degrees on bass and snare. Except for being ply shell drums they literally couldn't be more different. Back on topic, Get These Drums! Take it from a Collectors player, you don't need to test drive them. They are insanely good. No hype, no kool-aid. As far as ply drums go, they are equal to or better than every other professional, high end drums.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass