Thread: I gotta mute some cymbals!

User Info Menu

Default I gotta mute some cymbals!

Hey guys, I'm a total newb and have crap cymbals.

Now that is out of the way, I think I can probably improve on my horrid sounds.

Now I AM a musician and I can tell between good and bad drum sounds. However, it's my first foray into drums and I'm not made of cash so I got cheap used stuff (all brass): Meinl hi-hats and 16" crash, Zildjian 20" Planet Z ride and ZBT splash. These are actually not the worst sounding cymbals I have heard. That title is reserved for those $200 toy kits.

The main problem is that my ride and crash sound WAY too similar. Main reason is the long sustain of the ride, I'm thinkning some tape will help -electrical or duct tape and how much & where?

The splash is also too long lasting, I'll clamp down on it but felts are currently too thin.

So anybody have some ghetto hacks for newbies? I won't go investing more money for a couple of years.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I gotta mute some cymbals!

I actually use moongel on both my toms and my cymbals.

We started doing that in the studio and I've done it ever since depending on the cymbal.

I would start there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I actually use moongel on both my toms and my cymbals.

We started doing that in the studio and I've done it ever since depending on the cymbal.

I would start there
    I would suggest the same thing. Moongel works well for calming down cymbals. Start by sticking 1 pad on top, close to the bell. Move it outwards as you see fit.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

If you don't want to spend $5 on Moongel, you can try putting a piece of tape on the underside of the cymbal. Experiment with the placement for various results.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Moongel seems to work the best from what I have been told. Tape works too, but it's generally harder to remove if you decide to change the sound later or sell the cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Tape works too, but it's generally harder to remove if you decide to change the sound later or sell the cymbals.
    It's been used for decades. It works, it leaves residue unless you use Gaffer tape instead of duct tape. One roll will last you forever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Moongel seems to work the best from what I have been told. Tape works too, but it's generally harder to remove if you decide to change the sound later or sell the cymbals.
    You know, I used a small pics of Moongel on my 20" ride. I left it on for several weeks, since it was my practice kit. When I took it off, it left a discoloration spot on the cymbal that I can't get off. Not sure if it was from oil or dye. I've got purple stains on my coated heads as well. I guess you should remove the gel after each use.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You know, I used a small pics of Moongel on my 20" ride. I left it on for several weeks, since it was my practice kit. When I took it off, it left a discoloration spot on the cymbal that I can't get off. Not sure if it was from oil or dye. I've got purple stains on my coated heads as well. I guess you should remove the gel after each use.
    This is a valid point. Moongel does leave a stain on coated heads after a while. I assume it could have similar results if left on cymbals for a while.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

In a pinch you can use blutack instead of moongels. If you use tape you can get the residue off cymbals really easy with a cloth and lighter fluid - just make sure you don't put the tape across the logos as lighter fluid (or petrol) will remove them in the blink of an eye.

User Info Menu

What is moon gel exactly? What's it made of? I've never seen it before.

all the best...

User Info Menu

This is so cool - and unusual (in chat board fashion, anyway). A newbie (welcome to DC, by the way, Nat!) writes in and asks advice on how to improve his crappy cymbals. And NOT ONE of us has jumped on him for being cheap and scrimping on the most important part of his kit.

You know why? Because this is Drum Chat. It's inhabited by very decent, nice, mature folks who are always looking to lend a hand. It's all quite remarkable and charming. Even I work hard to curb my normally pessimistic, acerbic, and disagreeable personality. Good going, guys! Gents all.

Now, Nat . . . about those cymbals. . . .

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

When I teach my students jazz beats....I clip wooden clothspins to the end of the ride cymbal. Dries it right up, eliminates the overtones and makes it nice and pingy!

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    This is so cool - and unusual (in chat board fashion, anyway). A newbie (welcome to DC, by the way, Nat!) writes in and asks advice on how to improve his crappy cymbals. And NOT ONE of us has jumped on him for being cheap and scrimping on the most important part of his kit.

You know why? Because this is Drum Chat. It's inhabited by very decent, nice, mature folks who are always looking to lend a hand. It's all quite remarkable and charming. Even I work hard to curb my normally pessimistic, acerbic, and disagreeable personality. Good going, guys! Gents all.

Now, Nat . . . about those cymbals. . . .

GeeDeeEmm
    I notice that a lot as well here. Much better than other places. I like the clothespin idea Eddie, never heard of that but you can bet I am going to try it asap.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    When I teach my students jazz beats....I clip wooden clothspins to the end of the ride cymbal. Dries it right up, eliminates the overtones and makes it nice and pingy!
    Ah, the McGyver approach.