View Poll Results: What Bass Drum Size and depth?!

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 22"x18

10 45.45%
  • 20"x18

8 36.36%
  • 20"x20

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a custom Pork Pie Kit! Need opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Building a custom Pork Pie Kit!!

So I was going to hold this back but I can't!! You guys know me I get to excited! But I'm also looking for some advice.

I'm working directly with Bill from Pork Pie and we are going to build his Maple/Zebrawood kit to my exact specifications. The wife saw this kit while I was looking into new kits and said I ABSOLUTELY HAD to buy it. But I wasn't sold on the sizes until I called Pork Pie directly and today I officially signed with Pork Pie as he was so great to chat with on the phone. He's going to make the kit to any specs I want.

So my plan is to do a shallow tom setup which is new for him. He's excited because he's never done a shallow tom setup with this kit. I'm going to do an 8x7, 10x7, 12x8 high tom. 14x12 and 16x14 floor tom. I'm also going to run dual snare drums of course... both 13x7 and a 14x6.5.

But my BIGGEST debate is the bass drum. With my PDP kit I love my super flat tom setup. I just wish they sat a hair lower... I'm only 5'7" and if I was a big taller it would be great. I'm already sitting pretty high and don't like going any higher. If my current kit had a 20 I feel it would be so perfect. But I also love the bass drum kick and punch and depth right now as a 22x18.

Do you guys think I should stick with a 22x18 or do you think I should go with the shorter 20x18? I've never played a 20" kick but I tested a couple out and they seemed to still be punchy. My other thought was also maybe trying a 22x20! get that cannon depth that I want. I don't know what to do help me out?!

Here's wht the finished kit will look like:

Better photo of the drums
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 09-21-2016 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building a custom Pork Pie Kit! Need opinions...

Wow, that's a beautiful finish! Color me jealous! As far as BD size, why not compromise between the 2 sizes you have in mind. I've never played one, but I've heard lots of guys raving about a 20x20 kick drum.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Wow, that's a beautiful finish! Color me jealous! As far as BD size, why not compromise between the 2 sizes you have in mind. I've never played one, but I've heard lots of guys raving about a 20x20 kick drum.
    I second this, 20x20 kicks are awesome.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Beautiful finish! I like your choice with the shallow toms. I can see the want for a 20" kick. I feel that the 22s have better tone, and the 20s have more punch and attack. If you want lower toms, you could keep a 22" kick because of the shallow toms. I have a 22x20 kick and I can't stand having 2 toms above it, and I can only find comfort in a 1 up configuration. It sounds incredible though. I think a 20x20 kick would suit what you're looking for. A smaller size while still having attack and punch.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 05-23-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I agree with FlyByNight, you'll love the shallow toms. My Tama Silverstar kit is the Hyperdrive series, which is 10x6.5, 12x7, 14x12 and 16x14. I'm even shorter than you, and I have no problem with my toms mounted over the bass drum. And they sound amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I agree with FlyByNight, you'll love the shallow toms. My Tama Silverstar kit is the Hyperdrive series, which is 10x6.5, 12x7, 14x12 and 16x14. I'm even shorter than you, and I have no problem with my toms mounted over the bass drum. And they sound amazing!
    Agreed. I'm quite tall, but i have the superstar hyperdrive, the shallow toms sound great and allow the toms to sit lower over the bigg 22" bass.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

I say definitely 20" DIA.. The ones I've played sounded just as good as a 22", but with more punch and a better feel. I don't play double pedals, but I would think a shallower depth would help....same concept as shallow toms I would guess. You're going to mic them anyway, right? I'd even consider a 20x14 or 20x16.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

1 vote for 20X18

Best for variable sound dynamics and tuning ranges and easier to haul. (you'll thank me later)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

20" are probably the PUNCHIEST bass drums. I believe as diameter increases, punch gives way to depth and resonance. I'm still a sucker for 14" depth traditional size, but I know they are getting harder to come by now.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I love my shallow toms much better than standard toms. I had a 20 x 18 and did not like it, if I was to do a 20" kick again I would try a 20 x 16.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Two comments:

When I ordered my USA Customs I made a mistake.
    Originally the set-up was 3-up and 1-down.
    The rack toms were 13, 14 & 15...............with an 18 FT.
    Clearly, bigger shells were the thing at the time. In fact, my bass drum is a 14X24.
    When you mount a 15-inch rack tom (12 inches deep) on top of a 24 inch bass drum, you have the top of your kit at about 37 inches minimum............too high.............I'm 6 feet tall and I felt like I had to stand to play the kit.

With today's wonderful clamps (made by various manufacturers), I now ignore the 14 tom and play 1-up, 2-down...............the 13 has always required a snare stand.............the 15 is clamped to a cymbal stand and used as a small floor tom.............and then the stand-alone 18FT is still in play.

Now I have a "virgin" bass and the kit is not set up too high.
    And I wouldn't trade the sound of my 14X24 bass for any other size.

Having said that, I play a 20X20 at a club here in town (house kit) and it sounds good...........it has the Evans eMad on it and I like it.
    The 20" depth does have a large footprint, however.

Good luck with the new kit design..................looks great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I've never owned a 20"....................but I do love the shallow toms, sitting flat over the bass drum. I'd go with the 20" if you have to make it shorter.

User Info Menu

A 20" x 16" or 14" bass drum should do the trick. I've never had much luck with the "square" sizes, 20 x 20 etc. I grew up with 14" deep bass drums and they always sound great. I've got a Mapex Saturn set that has a 22" x 18" bass drum. It sounds fantastic but I'm longing for a shallower bass drum. They have an immediacy that I love. Good luck with it. That's one fine-looking set of drums there and Bill always does a good job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
    A 20" x 16" or 14" bass drum should do the trick. I've never had much luck with the "square" sizes, 20 x 20 etc. I grew up with 14" deep bass drums and they always sound great. I've got a Mapex Saturn set that has a 22" x 18" bass drum. It sounds fantastic but I'm longing for a shallower bass drum. They have an immediacy that I love. Good luck with it. That's one fine-looking set of drums there and Bill always does a good job.
    Yep! 14x20 would be my choice as well

all the best...

User Info Menu

I did some listening online and I'm really leaning towards 20x18 or 20x16

User Info Menu

I've got a 20x18 and it sounds tremendous. It does lack a bit of volume when playing loud and unmic'd.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Pork Pies Zack. Cool finish man. Bill's a great guy to work with. I can attest to that since he handled my issues with a broken hoop on my Little Squealer kit. Shawn is another great guy to work with too if Bill's not around.

When I ordered my Gretsch USA, I was torn between a 18x22" and a 16x20" kick. I'm about the same height as you (I'm 5'9") and I like having my rack toms sit flat too. I ended up sticking to the 18x22" kick but went with 8x10", 8x12" up top and I'm so glad I went that route. A standard 9x12" tom is the usual size that comes on most kits but having 1" less on the 12" tom made a huge difference in the tone that I wanted (more attack) and a much tighter set up.
    Last edited by late8; 05-25-2016 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I also wanted to add a 20 x 16 option. My favorites size. Awesome punch. Plenty of tone and resonance. Easier to transport and mic, in my experience.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

After playing my Maxwin kit again this weekend, I'm still amazed at the 14x22 bass sound and feel. There's just something special about that combo. It doesn't have the projection that my 16x22 Premier or 18x22 PDP bass drums do, but a kick mic can solve that. It's also a LOT lighter and easier to carry. I think a 16x20 would be the perfect size.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I tried editing but I can't see where to edit a pole sorry...

20x16 has become a very popular suggestion and I'm seriously contemplating this.

User Info Menu

got the best phone call last night.

My kit is finished and shipped out last night!!!!!

Should be here Monday... this will be the longest weekend ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    got the best phone call last night.

Should be here Monday... this will be the longest weekend ever
    That's awesome! I can't wait to see it!

User Info Menu

Tell us what decision you made on the final configuration & shell sizes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Tell us what decision you made on the final configuration & shell sizes.
    Here are my finished sizes for now: (yes I may add down the line)

7x8 Rack Tom
    7x10 Rack Tom
    8x12 Rack Tom
    12x14 Floor Tom
    14x16 Floor Tom
    18x22 Kick
    7x13 Snare

I went with a super shallow tom depth setup as I really love some of Thomas Langs kits with the short toms. In the end I stuck with the 22x18 kick but he said he'd continue to work with me and if I want a 20" he'd be glad to make it. I'm also already contemplating an 18" floor tom and a popcorn snare. I can't believe I didn't ask about a side snare right off the bat. I thought I had but it wasn't in his notes.

User Info Menu

Here are my finished sizes for now: (yes I may add down the line)

7x8 Rack Tom
    7x10 Rack Tom
    8x12 Rack Tom
    12x14 Floor Tom
    14x16 Floor Tom
    18x22 Kick
    7x13 Snare

I went with a super shallow tom depth setup as I really love some of Thomas Langs kits with the short toms. In the end I stuck with the 22x18 kick but he said he'd continue to work with me and if I want a 20" he'd be glad to make it. I'm also already contemplating an 18" floor tom and a popcorn snare. I can't believe I didn't ask about a side snare right off the bat. I thought I had but it wasn't in his notes.
    You're going to love those sizes! That's almost exactly what I have in my Tama Silverstar kit. Punchy, yet still great resonance and tone. And very easy to tune!