Thread: Mapex go around

User Info Menu

Default Mapex go around

Well, after 7mo. waiting on my 8x8 tom, I finally received it( Special Order ).The only bummer is WRONG FINISH! Not the store's fault, Mapex's fault. The finish ordered was ash burl, I got Amber burl witch is a UK finish. It's close but a little darker.I called the store and they're checking into it.....the story of my life! I'm also waiting on a 14x14 floor tom(same finish,different store). This one is a back order. I've been waiting 7months also.I'm getting different stories on U.S. Distribution for Sonor Drums is it Hohner or Mapex? I think that's what screwing everything up!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex go around

Bummer Doc. I hope you can work this out with Mapex. Wow, a 7 month wait for the 14x14" floor tom? Making me think twice about adding on a 14x16" floor tom for my future DW kit...just the hassles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Well, ....This one is a back order. I've been waiting 7months also.I'm getting different stories on U.S. Distribution for Sonor Drums is it Hohner or Mapex? I think that's what screwing everything up!
    I agree with the distribution thing: almost all Sonor dealers are sold out, every normal (not bop kits) kit has to be back ordered. Mapex has limited choices too.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

i waited 12 months for a 8x8 orion tom but worth the wait

apparently it takes 8 months just to build and finish the drum and the hardest part was the actual finish according to mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bummer Doc. I hope you can work this out with Mapex. Wow, a 7 month wait for the 14x14" floor tom? Making me think twice about adding on a 14x16" floor tom for my future DW kit...just the hassles.
    The only hassle with ordering an add on tom from dw is that you have to send them a tom to match if it's an exotic finish.They will match it perfectly, grain and all.
    I would think if it's a standard finish you could just order it.
    It'll be worth it either way in my opinion.

User Info Menu

In my experience, adding drums to an existing kit is usually a hassle. Not cheap either. You pay for one drum what pretty close to what you paid for a shell pack originally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    In my experience, adding drums to an existing kit is usually a hassle. Not cheap either. You pay for one drum what pretty close to what you paid for a shell pack originally.
    Was thinking the same. Begs the question...Is it even worth it?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Was thinking the same. Begs the question...Is it even worth it?

all the best...
    Not to me. I'v been considering adding a FT to my Saturn kit. They want $800 for it. Heck, I only paid $1,200 for the other pieces.

User Info Menu

OH MAN that royally sucks...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    The only hassle with ordering an add on tom from dw is that you have to send them a tom to match if it's an exotic finish.They will match it perfectly, grain and all.
    I would think if it's a standard finish you could just order it.
    It'll be worth it either way in my opinion.
    That's good to hear bob! I was told exactly the same thing when I called, so now, hearing it from you, this is something to really consider.

User Info Menu

Great news! The store I ordered from e-mailed me and said they contacted Mapex and they were at fault and that they are sending a return label so I can send it back and they have the right finish 8x8 tom in stock and will ship it out.

User Info Menu

Well, that's good news.

User Info Menu

Hard to beat Mapex Customer service. Of all the major big manufacturers they are the best at this.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I also waited 7 months for Mapex to make me a 16x13 floor tom, it came in, as a suspended tom however....I just took the darned thing...finish was perfect match however, birdseye maple in transparent red

User Info Menu

I got lucky adding to my Pdp LXE a few years ago. I let a 16” tom go on ebay, regretted it and then stumbled across another one some time later. Snapped that one up immediately, only cost me just shy of $270 inc. shipping from the US. From memory, it took something like 2-3 months to my door..?
    Last edited by drumstix; 06-06-2016 at 03:23 AM.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I was lucky and had the 8x8 with my kit when I purchased it.