Thread: Muhammad Ali dies

User Info Menu

Default Muhammad Ali dies

I heard last night on the news that he was on life support, after people thought he was getting better. Late at night he died with his family around him at 74. Having Parkinson's for 32 years is a long time. Rest in peace great one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Muhammad Ali dies

I can't really say I'm that surprised. Last time I saw him on TV, he looked very frail.

Not to be morbid but I think Michael J. Fox will be next. Parkinsons is just a horrible disease.

RIP Muhammed.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

The Greatest boxer of his time. . RIP Mohammad Ali aka Cassius "Marcellus" Clay Jr.

"float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-04-2016 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    The Greatest boxer of his time. . RIP Mohammad Ali aka Cassius "Marcellus" Clay Jr.

"float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
    Cassius Clay from Louisville Kentucky...................cool guy.
    I never got his muslim thing.

He really got screwed over on the draft evasion BS.

In his prime, he was the ultimate boxer.
    I can remember me and my Dad listening to the radio..............we heard the fight where he beat Sonny Liston..............awesome stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Cassius Clay from Louisville Kentucky...................cool guy.
    I never got his muslim thing.

He really got screwed over on the draft evasion BS.

In his prime, he was the ultimate boxer.
    I can remember me and my Dad listening to the radio..............we heard the fight where he beat Sonny Liston..............awesome stuff.

Ricky, with the draft evasion thing, he got what he asked for. He listened to people who used his fame to further their own agenda.

I knew guys that were hoping that they didn't get called, and some didn't, but the 1's that got the letter, went. I didn't know anyone who burned their draft card, split to Canada, or flat out refused to go.

I enlisted in '65 because I felt it was the right thing for me to do.

User Info Menu

Ricky, with the draft evasion thing, he got what he asked for. He listened to people who used his fame to further their own agenda.

I knew guys that were hoping that they didn't get called, and some didn't, but the 1's that got the letter, went. I didn't know anyone who burned their draft card, split to Canada, or flat out refused to go.

I enlisted in '65 because I felt it was the right thing for me to do.
    Having grown up in Canada, I have met some of the ones who came there to dodge the draft.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Rip

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Having grown up in Canada, I have met some of the ones who came there to dodge the draft.

all the best...
    I knew quite a few too and still do. Most of them live in those Communes ( hippies) style off the grid here in Ontario.

User Info Menu

I use to get a chuckle out of Ali and Cossell. Always love the way Ali would praise himself as being pretty, handsome and the one and only The Greatest. He was quite the entertainer lol. His legend lives on.

User Info Menu

all the best...
    I knew quite a few too and still do. Most of them live in those Communes ( hippies) style off the grid here in Ontario.

They had every excuse in the book to justify why they had to leave the country, but the bottom line is that they were just cowards.

User Info Menu

They had every excuse in the book to justify why they had to leave the country, but the bottom line is that they were just cowards.
    Gotta kinda disagree. The hardliners always used to say "if you don't love our country and our way of life", go live somewhere else........so that's exactly what they did.

all the best...

User Info Menu

LOL that's true. One in particular owned a chain of health food stores in Ontario. He was a good customer of mine.

all the best...

User Info Menu

RIP he was a big man

User Info Menu

My Dad was captain of his boxing team in his Navy days. He definitely loved Ali in his prime when his boxing skills were sharp, Felt a bit sad when he was deteriorating with Parkinson's. One of my granddads was stricken with Parkinson's late in life, going through the early stages with the slight hand tremors, before he succumbed to not its effects, but to a final stroke (after a couple of other major ones), passing away peacefully in his sleep. To have such a drawn-out, lingering medical condition......I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It's not just the patient that suffers, but the loved ones looking after them, they still live with the emotional after-effects once the person is dead and gone.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Gotta kinda disagree. The hardliners always used to say "if you don't love our country and our way of life", go live somewhere else........so that's exactly what they did.

all the best...

Outside of family, I doubt if anyone misses them.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised he was ONLY 74. I was only a wee lad when he was in his hey day.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I agree....................Draft Dodgers are pretty low in my book.................to reap the many benefits this country provides...............and then hide when you are needed......................unacceptable to me.

User Info Menu

This is about Ali the one and only " The Greatest" not draft dodgers .

User Info Menu

Only 74? Wow...RIP Ali

User Info Menu

Anyone remember the song about him back in the '70's? It got radio play at the time.
    It was called The Black Superman. By Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band, 1975.
    Or.......the Ali Shuffle by Alvin Cash, 1967.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 06-06-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

This is about Ali the one and only " The Greatest" not draft dodgers .

Gilles, it's part of his "legacy" if you will, so it was going to come up. It was big news at that time.

User Info Menu

Gilles, it's part of his "legacy" if you will, so it was going to come up. It was big news at that time.
    Yes, I know cause back then I remember all about the draft stuff and because of his new religious beliefs he refused to go to war.