Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm priced out of the DW9000 series stuff

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm priced out of the DW9000 series stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have sold various DW stands from buying huge piles of stuff on Craigslist, from 3000 to 9000 series, and my honest opinion is every single one was overpriced if I were to buy it new. The one good thing about them is I can sell these for more than other used stands and people will pay for it because it has the DW name on it.
    The plastic cymbal handles are something that I would be afraid to use if transporting those stands often. They feel cheap to me and there are much better systems out there for less money. Mapex Falcon stands have a ball arm that the cymbal sits on, and the handle on those is metal I believe. I just have basic boom arms with a regular tilter and those work fine.
    Thank you for your post pcs90. I have never had my hands on the 9000 series boom stand and it's great to get some first hand accounts on the plastic handle from you as well as others who've had issues with them. I'll look into the Mapex Falcon hardware line you mentioned too. My stands take a beating when I pack them away in the SKB case. I tend to max out the load so I can take advantage of hauling less cases to gigs or band practices. I can see how my packing method could jeopardize the plastic handle on the tilter.

Stands in a SKB 36" rolling hardware case:

Here's what I can cram into 36" RoadRunner rolling hardware bag:

Last edited by late8; 06-09-2016 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been very pleased with every Gibraltar item I've ever purchased. Thrones, boom arms, tom mounts, clamps, brackets, hoops, snare throws....everything. The build quality and designs have been excellent and the prices fit in my very limited gig-generated budget. I've also found Pearl hardware to be an excellent value as well. I'm sure DW hardware is excellent, but the marketing & sales side of me says, "IF I was DW, I could charge extra for the name; the market is saturated with quality competitors beating each other's profit margin to death. No one else has our name or prestige that goes with it. People who want it will pay.".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've been very pleased with every Gibraltar item I've ever purchased. Thrones, boom arms, tom mounts, clamps, brackets, hoops, snare throws....everything. The build quality and designs have been excellent and the prices fit in my very limited gig-generated budget. I've also found Pearl hardware to be an excellent value as well. I'm sure DW hardware is excellent, but the marketing & sales side of me says, "IF I was DW, I could charge extra for the name; the market is saturated with quality competitors beating each other's profit margin to death. No one else has our name or prestige that goes with it. People who want it will pay.".
    Exactly...I can't recall any Gibraltar product I've bought that failed to deliver. High quality,reasonably priced. I just bought one of their percussion mount bars. It's the cats meow! When it comes to hardware, I've got Gibraltar, Pearl, Dixon, Gretsch, Ludwig, Tama, Musicians Friend brand etc... Never really had a failure of any. Some of it's 30 plus years old.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a series 9000 snare stand with the tech lock. It broke on me before a gig and I had to order a replacement from DW which took a while to come in. Then I found out that they sent me the wrong part so I had to re-order. After that, I went out and got an older 5000 series stand that is all metal. No problems since then ...

User Info Menu

I am not worried about overtightening plastic handles and I dont like the fact they are plastic for that kind of money, I'm conerned about breaking them when in transit. As careful as one can be, THAT is where most of my stuff breaks or gets damaged.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thanks for validating Gibraltar products. I own a few stands made by Gibraltar and both are rock solid. I'm getting the drift from those who posted that hardware, although important to the entire picture, doesn't mean you have to go for broke and break the bank. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Exactly...I can't recall any Gibraltar product I've bought that failed to deliver. High quality,reasonably priced. I just bought one of their percussion mount bars. It's the cats meow! When it comes to hardware, I've got Gibraltar, Pearl, Dixon, Gretsch, Ludwig, Tama, Musicians Friend brand etc... Never really had a failure of any. Some of it's 30 plus years old.

all the best...
    Thanks kay-gee. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and I totally agree with you. If you get something within your means and it's well made, done deal!

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I have a series 9000 snare stand with the tech lock. It broke on me before a gig and I had to order a replacement from DW which took a while to come in. Then I found out that they sent me the wrong part so I had to re-order. After that, I went out and got an older 5000 series stand that is all metal. No problems since then ...
    I'll keep my eye out for an older version of the DW5000 stands without the plastic handle. I did notice the older models had metal wing-nuts. Thanks for the heads up dangermoney!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I am not worried about overtightening plastic handles and I dont like the fact they are plastic for that kind of money, I'm conerned about breaking them when in transit. As careful as one can be, THAT is where most of my stuff breaks or gets damaged.
    Thank you!