Thread: It's here - tonight we test

User Info Menu

Default It's here - tonight we test

Got my new audio/video recording device. My other one was ok but had some serious issues with recording sizes and audio quality. I hope I have conquered that realm to some extent.

20160609_110949 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160609_111014 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160609_111127 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160609_111149 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: It's here - tonight we test

20160609_111241 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160609_111251 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160609_111258 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160609_111344 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very cool Mark! What editing software are you going to use?

User Info Menu

I use Windows Movie Maker or Audacity with the Lame plug-in depending on my output needs.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

holy crap that thing looks awesome!!! I can't wait to hear/see a video soon!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Yes..............I'm very interested in your trials and your opinions of the equipment quality and the user-friendly ranking you would assign.

Thanks for posting this, Bish.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I use Windows Movie Maker or Audacity with the Lame plug-in depending on my output needs.
    I like the feature outlined in the red box. I suggest you test if the -20dB pad is needed first when the band is at full volume before you start pulling the dBs down on the mixer due to over-driven audio levels. Are you taking a feed from an audio mixer to the camera or are you going to use just the two mic inputs for "live" audio?

It's amazing how small and compact consumer cameras have become. Back in the day when I started working as a professional camera operator in TV nearly 35 years ago, the studio cameras were fondly called "elephants" lol. You sure do have a lot of nice "toys" Mark!

Last edited by late8; 06-09-2016 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm aiming for tonight to post something. I have to get 5 songs ready for tomorrow nights audition. Sadly, I hadn't heard any of these songs until Tuesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yes..............I'm very interested in your trials and your opinions of the equipment quality and the user-friendly ranking you would assign.

Thanks for posting this, Bish.
    My pleasure. I think you could call upon Rickthedrummer, for now. He's helped me to make this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I like the feature outlined in the red box. I suggest you test if the -20dB pad is needed first when the band is at full volume before you start pulling the dBs down on the mixer due to over-driven audio levels. Are you taking a feed from an audio mixer to the camera or are you going to use just the two mic inputs for "live" audio?

It's amazing how small and compact consumer cameras have become. Back in the day when I started working as a professional camera operator in TV nearly 35 years ago, the studio cameras were fondly called "elephants" lol. You sure do have a lot of nice "toys" Mark!

It's crazy how tiny everything has become. I'm referring to electronics, peeps, keep it clean.

I'm going to utilize both abilities. Most likely I will probably use the external mics for home recordings and direct input for any shows, I get lucky enough to play.

Cool photo of you and your elephant. Ever been hit up by Barnum and Bailey to tour?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm going to utilize both abilities. Most likely I will probably use the external mics for home recordings and direct input for any shows...
    Ok, a word of warning if your going to use WM (Windows Movie) as your editing software. You'll run into a host of sync issues (video out of sync with audio) when you start playing back/recording across different types of recording and playback formats (i.e. CD players, mp3/mp4 files, digital cameras etc), due to timescale issues when those projects are imported into the computer..

Here are some brief explanations on why video and audio go out of sync when downloaded to a computer for editing:

Quote~

1. The decoder/media player.
    The media players such as Windows Media Player, VLC and QuickTime player sometimes have a hiccup. Take QuickTime for instance. It may have timescale issues when bringing MPEG source into Avid or Final Cut Pro, which may make audio go out of sync with video.

2. Encoding video with intense features.
    If you are working on a slow computer with low configuration but encoding video with high refs, your audio and video will be synced in a wrong way.

3. Restart your computer system.
    The intensive use of CPU can lead your system go abnormal. So the processes like video encoding, editing or downloading will not go smooth. This is where the audio/video out of sync happens.

4. Be careful of Xvix.

When you are encoding an MPEG-2 content, be selective in the codecs. For the older ASP codecs like DivX and Xvid, and the previous .avi container, you are not suggested to choose them as they are usually considered as the crime culprit of audio/video sync issues.

End of Quote~

There are software programs such as "HandBrake" that will help solve sync issues when the video and audio start to go out of sync if you have encoding issues with the video/audio from your computer.

To really understand this video/audio "out of sync" phenomenon, do yourself a favor before you get too far into the "weeds" with editing the "movies" that you'll create. Do a Google search on "Video/Audio out of sync" and you'll see a whole host of issues people have run into when they are trying to create videos from digital cameras when imported to the computer for editing or adding titles, graphics etc.

Let me know if you need anything clarified. I work with these types of issues on a daily basis as I produce and direct TV for a living.

Last edited by late8; 06-09-2016 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

You got it, my brother.

I've been doing this for almost 10 years and have had the sync issues you bring up. I've had success in previous attempts but I know that it's going to be a challenge. Plus, with the new recording device, who knows what I'll experience right off. I'm game.

If nothing else, I have your number. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You got it, my brother.

I've been doing this for almost 10 years and have had the sync issues you bring up. I've had success in previous attempts but I know that it's going to be a challenge. Plus, with the new recording device, who knows what I'll experience right off. I'm game.

If nothing else, I have your number. LOL
    Cool, you're not a newb then? This is why I don't make videos of myself drumming. Although, as I stated, I make a living in video production, I don't own a video camera and I have a clunky old laptop that has an icore3 processor which is as slow as molasses. Good luck with the new camera. There are a lot of cool drum/band videos out there and never underestimate what upgrades are available for your computer to handle the high resolution videos your Q8 can produce. A decent video/sound card and lots of RAM will make the process so much faster and less frustrating too.

User Info Menu

I've been eyeing up the Q8 for a while now. I think it would be perfect for getting high quality live videos. Up til now I've been using Power Director to edit clips of my band from phones and iPads. I'd love to hear your impressions of the Q8. Have a great gig!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I've been using the Q8 for my videos for about 1 1/2 years.

User Info Menu

OK, here we go. My first test was a bit too quiet so I didn't do anything with it. This 2nd one is a bit over driven so there's tiny bit of distortion or I'm going deaf. The rest should be just right.

Whatcha think?

Signature here

User Info Menu

I think it will be fine once you get it dialed in.

User Info Menu

Nice, I been thinking of selling off my Q4 and getting a Q8.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Nice! Can't wait to hear/see more.

User Info Menu

I think where they missed the complete solution was by not offering a telephoto function. The wide angle works well but it means the camera has to be really close in order to pick up detail.

It does have a 3 position zoom in/out feature that is available in the touch screen. It's not a lot of variation but it's some. All in all, very nice decent camera and it will do what I want it to.

I got a 64GB mem stick for it. Man, what an improvement over my 8GB stick. I can actually record more than two songs to a file. Might have been a camera limitation.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds good Mark! That kit is pure "eye candy".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Looks and sounds good Mark! That kit is pure "eye candy".
    Thank you, sir!

Did you see the Youtube copy I posted in the other "band" thread?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds good Bish.

The camera makes those Starclassics look HUGE which is also good.