Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '07 DW Collectors 5pc Twisted Exotic Lacquer

User Info Menu

Default Re: '07 DW Collectors 5pc Twisted Exotic Lacquer

That finish is amazing. Nice snare.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    That finish is amazing. Nice snare.
    Thanks Tamastar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Rich,

Glad you FINALLY have that DW kit in hand! Congratulations! It's a beautiful kit, and I love the finished rings! Gorgeous! I am certain you will like the new stock DW heads that are coming...I was really surprised at how good the stock heads sounded on my cherry kit. If I'd have been a smart guy, I'd have just left those bad boys in place until I actually NEEDED new heads. But, I think you'll like the clear EC2/G1 heads on that kit, too. I sort of have the "inverse" in place, right now...clear G2 over EC Reso on all 5 of my toms, and I'm liking that combo a lot. I even got a set of coated G2s for the batters that I was going to try...but I'm going to hold off on installing those as I'm happy with the clears.

Looking forward to reports on what you think...hoping you are as happy as you expect to be!

P.S. Are you planning to try to tune the heads to the stated "shell pitch"? I've not really tried to go that route, rather, just tried to tune to a stated tone interval between tom toms.
    Thanks Curt, sorry I missed this post and thanks for your thoughts on the EC2clear /G1 clear and your inverted version of this combo. Yes, I'm going to tune the toms to the pitch stamped on each shell.

The singer/songwriter that I'm recording drum tracks in his home studio with played me the pitch interval on his guitar and piano and the chord sounds amazing! The 8" tom is in A but that sounded a bit off when those combination of notes were strummed together on the guitar. By simply changing the A to Ab was just astounding and it made a very nice chord on the guitar. I'm guessing if I keep the pitch on the 8" tom a bit flat. I will have a nice drop in pitch from each tom as I make my way down from the 8" 10" 12" an finally the 11x14" which is timbre pitched at Eb. These drums hold actual musical note values and I just can't get my head around that! An brilliant man, John Good is.
    Last edited by late8; 06-16-2016 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Every shell has a natural pitch to some extent. If you suspend the headless shell and thump it with your knuckle, you can hear it. When you're tuning up and you reach that natural pitch, you can notice the "sweet spot" of resonance. They problem I have is the natural pitches of most of my low quality shells either sound nasty or don't work well with the others. On my PDP kit, the natural pitches of the 10" & 12" are very close. As a result, the 16" & 12" sound sweet tuned to natural pitch, but the 10" sounds choked when tuned to a complementary pitch higher than the 12".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Every shell has a natural pitch to some extent. If you suspend the headless shell and thump it with your knuckle, you can hear it. When you're tuning up and you reach that natural pitch, you can notice the "sweet spot" of resonance. They problem I have is the natural pitches of most of my low quality shells either sound nasty or don't work well with the others. On my PDP kit, the natural pitches of the 10" & 12" are very close. As a result, the 16" & 12" sound sweet tuned to natural pitch, but the 10" sounds choked when tuned to a complementary pitch higher than the 12".
    Very interesting. Shuttle this video to 4:20 and you'll see John Good designating the timbre pitch:

Last edited by late8; 06-16-2016 at 12:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Rich, I'm just getting caught up here. What a great thread. Those look amazing. Always love your detailed photos. The interiors of those are pretty wild too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Rich, I'm just getting caught up here. What a great thread. Those look amazing. Always love your detailed photos. The interiors of those are pretty wild too.
    Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for posting the video............amazing footage.
    And I am impressed with the entire process and how incredibly different everything is between making a DW Collectors drum and a Gretsch USA Custom drum. In fact, the only step in the manufacturing I saw that was identical at both shops is the cutting of the bearing edges.............everything else is done differently, with DW employing the more "modern" process.

By far, the biggest difference is the DW plywood creation and the making of their own shells...........see the first 4 minutes of the video.........fascinating.

At Gretsch, the first thing you see is the shell inventory, which were all purchased from Keller (formerly, Jasper). These are not generic shells -- they all have to be made to Gretsch specs, but still, they are purchased.

The next biggest difference is that so much of DW assembly is computerized and automated while at Gretsch, everything is very old school and done completely by hand..............my guess is that DW spends their dollars on capital expenditures while Gretsch spends much more on labor.

For example...............look at the sanding machine at exactly 4:11 of the DW video..........then compare that to the photo below:

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Thanks for posting the video............amazing footage.
    And I am impressed with the entire process and how incredibly different everything is between making a DW Collectors drum and a Gretsch USA Custom drum. In fact, the only step in the manufacturing I saw that was identical at both shops is the cutting of the bearing edges.............everything else is done differently, with DW employing the more "modern" process.

By far, the biggest difference is the DW plywood creation and the making of their own shells...........see the first 4 minutes of the video.........fascinating.

At Gretsch, the first thing you see is the shell inventory, which were all purchased from Keller (formerly, Jasper). These are not generic shells -- they all have to be made to Gretsch specs, but still, they are purchased.

The next biggest difference is that so much of DW assembly is computerized and automated while at Gretsch, everything is very old school and done completely by hand..............my guess is that DW spends their dollars on capital expenditures while Gretsch spends much more on labor.
    You're welcome! Thanks for noting the comparison between both companies regarding their production line. The making of the DW shells was fascinating!

User Info Menu

Rich,

Congrats on the beautiful new DW kit.

That lint that you found under the heads? Those were whiskers. That set had been there a long time. Long enough to grow into puberty!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Rich,

Congrats on the beautiful new DW kit.

That lint that you found under the heads? Those were whiskers. That set had been there a long time. Long enough to grow into puberty!

GeeDeeEmm
    hahaha! Whisker! That's funny! Thanks GeeDeeEmm. The stock DW factory heads came in today. I just has enough time to swap out the Evans heads and snapped a few pics. I really wanted to hear what DW expected the kit to sound like with these stock heads and compare them to the Evans when the time comes!

User Info Menu

I like the white reso better than the Ebony. Makes the finish snap out a bit more. I still haven't had a chance to play the kit yet. I'm gonna wait for JohnnyG to show up this Saturday afternoon for a BBQ and we'll christen the kit then!!

Last edited by late8; 06-16-2016 at 09:58 PM.

User Info Menu

That white reso does look better..................great !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm as excited as you are my friend! This has all come together with just one day to spare. Nice work. I'm so stoked to finally play this kit with you. (I mean, I'm excited about all your kits, but these girls are now the Alpha kit in the house!)
    Also, I want to experience that finish in person. Looks great in pics, so I'm sure I'm gonna die when I see them tomorrow.
    I'll be sure to report back to the rest of you. Should be an epic day for Late8 and I.
    Two drummers, seven kits, multiple snare drums, one bass player, and tons of food. I'm bringing all eight of my snares since I'm not bringing a kit. Even the 16x7. Drummer show and tell session.
    I foresee a very therapeutic day of percussive mayhem.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Very impressive video. Lots of automation, but also lots of hands-on quality checks. I think the hands-on shell matching based on pitch, grain pattern and color is most impressive.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Very interesting. Shuttle this video to 4:20 and you'll see John Good designating the timbre pitch:

Wow, I think I saw my next kit there. Several of them. However, they don't know it yet.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'd like to see their archive pic of my exotic collectors at final inspection bought in early '11.

User Info Menu

I like the white reso better than the Ebony. Makes the finish snap out a bit more.
    Rich,

When I ordered my cherry DW kit, I asked for the smooth white bass reso, too, instead of the 'standard' black. First, it's a bit different than usual, so I thought that was going to make it cool...plus, like you, I think it just looks better, somehow. Good choice!

Can't wait for your initial report on how it sounds. I think you're going to love the stock heads...I should probably have left mine in place. They were awesome!

Wish I could be there for the play date!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Rich,

When I ordered my cherry DW kit, I asked for the smooth white bass reso, too, instead of the 'standard' black. First, it's a bit different than usual, so I thought that was going to make it cool...plus, like you, I think it just looks better, somehow. Good choice!

Can't wait for your initial report on how it sounds. I think you're going to love the stock heads...I should probably have left mine in place. They were awesome!

Wish I could be there for the play date!
    Curt, you and everyone else here have a standing invitation. Thanks for your thoughts on the white reso! I think it looks really good.

User Info Menu

That white reso does look better..................great !
    Thanks Ricky!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I'm as excited as you are my friend! This has all come together with just one day to spare. Nice work. I'm so stoked to finally play this kit with you. (I mean, I'm excited about all your kits, but these girls are now the Alpha kit in the house!)
    Also, I want to experience that finish in person. Looks great in pics, so I'm sure I'm gonna die when I see them tomorrow.
    I'll be sure to report back to the rest of you. Should be an epic day for Late8 and I.
    Two drummers, seven kits, multiple snare drums, one bass player, and tons of food. I'm bringing all eight of my snares since I'm not bringing a kit. Even the 16x7. Drummer show and tell session.
    I foresee a very therapeutic day of percussive mayhem.
    Started a new thread for the BBQ! Epic day for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Very impressive video. Lots of automation, but also lots of hands-on quality checks. I think the hands-on shell matching based on pitch, grain pattern and color is most impressive.
    I was impressed with how fast John Good was matching the shells. So cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Wow, I think I saw my next kit there. Several of them. However, they don't know it yet.
    Can't wait to see what's next!!

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I'd like to see their archive pic of my exotic collectors at final inspection bought in early '11.
    I'm wondering if I can get a hold of the archive pic of the '07 I picked up.

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up to share some pics of the new set-up. After struggling with bolting the rack toms off of cymbal stands, I decide to use a rack and go 3 up 1 down. For my ergonomics, this seems like the most stable and feels more comfortable than the previous set-ups.

User Info Menu

That worked out really well................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

With a Sleishman Twin pedal, you wouldn't have to do that. You could keep it two-up, two-down.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

That worked out really well................
    Yes it did. I normally play either 1 up 2 down or 2 up 1 down. I've tried going 3 up top but it was always 10", 12", 13" and that pushed my ride too far out to my right side. Now with a 8", 10" and 12", the ride fits much better,

10", 12", 13"

8", 10", 12"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    With a Sleishman Twin pedal, you wouldn't have to do that. You could keep it two-up, two-down.
    Really? What you got in mind... a trade?? cough*PorkPie*cough

User Info Menu

LOL I do love those Pork Pies, but I love my Sleishman pedals more. Ha ha ha
    Just search David Sleishman on Facebook and tell him I sent ya. I'm sure Ginger won't bat an eye. D'oh!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals