Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '07 DW Collectors 5pc Twisted Exotic Lacquer

User Info Menu

Default '07 DW Collectors 5pc Twisted Exotic Lacquer

Finally brought the kit home today and started the process of swapping out the 9 year old heads with Evans EC2 Clear/G1Clear while I wait for the stock DW heads to arrive next week.

The reso heads on all of the shells including the kick had lint packed in between the flesh hoop and the bearing edge.

The stock heads showed their signs of age.

The bearing edges looked flawless.

Last edited by late8; 06-13-2016 at 11:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: '07 DW Collectors 5pc Twisted Exotic Lacquer

continued...

The tension rods has double washers which was a surprise to me.

Decided to off-set the rack toms. The snare is a 5x14" BB with a P86 upgraded throwoff.

Last edited by late8; 06-13-2016 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

continued...

Took the 20" K Custom Dry ride to my local indie mom and pops music store and matched two K Custom Dark crashes and K Custom Dark hihats to go with the kit: 14" hats, 16", 18"crash.

It's been a very long day and I haven't had a chance to play the kit yet. I'll check back in later in the week to give you guys my opinion once I have some time behind the kit.

Here's the tags on the kit:

Last edited by late8; 06-16-2016 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous, Rich. Congrats on the new kit.

User Info Menu

Very nice. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Beautiful, congrats. Love the way they covered the reinforcement hoops with the same veneer as the outer shells. I don't think I have ever seen that.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I am soooo glad you got them home in time for our BBQ. Can't wait to hear them in person.
    Those are freaking gorgeous!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

omg that is beautiful!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Very nice, Rich. Congrats!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Took the 20" K Custom Dry ride to my local indie mom and pops music store and matched two K Custom Dark crashes and a pair of K Custom Dark hihats to go with the kit: 14" hats, 16", 18"crash.
    It's been a very long day and I haven't had a chance to play the kit yet. I'll check back in later in the week to give you guys my opinion once had have some time behind the kit.
    Rich -- everything looks superb.
    I'll be interested in what your ears tell you..............not only about the new drums, but also the K Customs.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Beautiful, congrats. Love the way they covered the reinforcement hoops with the same veneer as the outer shells.
    That is a nice touch by DW.............but, would a 6-ply shell need re-rings ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Q

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous, Rich. Congrats on the new kit.
    Thanks Tex! I have a wonderful wife and supportive family to thank.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very nice. Enjoy!
    Thanks pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Beautiful, congrats. Love the way they covered the reinforcement hoops with the same veneer as the outer shells. I don't think I have ever seen that.
    Thank-you MDK! I was caught by surprise with the rerings matching the veneer too. Nice touch!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I am soooo glad you got them home in time for our BBQ. Can't wait to hear them in person.
    Those are freaking gorgeous!
    Can't wait for you and your son to come over! Been looking forward to this for a long time. Every Nor-Cal DC member I've met has been so cool! I was hoping the planets would like up just right so I can have this kit at the house for this weekend's BBQ and it happened! I'll have all seven kits set up so we can play around!

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    omg that is beautiful!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Spaz!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Very nice, Rich. Congrats!!
    Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Rich -- everything looks superb.
    I'll be interested in what your ears tell you..............not only about the new drums, but also the K Customs.
    Ricky, I ditched the entire HHX "Super Pack" that I bought in 2014 to help pay for the cost of the K's (I sold them back to the same store where I bought them and the K's) and I don't regret it one bit!

The cymbals sound incredible to my ears and I kick myself for not going for the K series earlier in my drumming life but it's never too late.

The 18" K Custom Dark, is my favorite. My only chance I had to play the new K's was inside the cymbal vault. I had two cymbal stands and a hihat stand set up and found what I thought complimented the 20" K Custom Dry Ride. Many who've played it say it's too dry and "dead" and pingy but I've always been a fan of pingy rides.

The 16" crash is much brighter than I expect a "dark" crash to sound. Maybe with some patina, it will mellow with age?

The 14" K Dark hats are the winner of the bunch! Nice chick and light wash when it's opened up. I love the top hihat cymbal because it makes for a great splash.

As far as the kit, I had a chance to thump the 18x22" kick out in the garage before I brought it in for the pics. I swapped out the stock DW batter for a Evans clear EMAD 2 and tested it with and without the thin foam ring and it had a nice bottom end to it but nothing like the Gretsch USA Custom's boom. The jury is still out until I can play the kit a full stage volume. It got pretty late last night when I snapped the last few pics.

Here are the sizes and timbre pitch for each shell:

7x8" at A
    8x10" at Eb
    9x12" at G#
    11x14" at Eb
    18x22" at F

As you may recall from a previous thread, I also sold the Gretsch '57 Renowns in MotorCity Onyx back to the same store where again, I bought them, and the K's, to help pay for the DW kit and I found it still sitting on the showroom floor over the 30+ day mark.

I sold it back to them for $800 store credit and found it marked up to $1099. I think I got one over on them because the '57s are such a "niche" kit, I knew they would have trouble re-selling it in a "reasonable amount of time". In my opinion, the longer that kit sits unsold, the more the store looses because they'll have to start marking it down to sell it to get it off their inventory list before the retail inventory tax deadline that takes place for retailers in July of next month. Yikes!

Last edited by late8; 06-13-2016 at 01:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Q

Many who've played it say it's too dry and "dead" and pingy but I've always been a fan of pingy rides.

The 14" K Dark hats are the winner of the bunch! Nice chick and light wash when it's opened up. I love the top hihat cymbal because it makes for a great splash.

As you may recall from a previous thread, I also sold the Gretsch '57 Renowns in MotorCity Onyx back to the same store where I bought the K's to help pay for the DW kit and I found it still sitting on the showroom floor over the 30+ day mark.

I'm certain that "pingy" ride would be about perfect.

I am convinced that there are no better hats made than the K line.
    I have the same set you bought except mine are 13 inch................for the last 20 years, every hat pair I have played cannot compare.........it's a fact.

I'm still a bit sick that you had to trade in the 57 Renowns.
    But I'll be looking forward to reading your posts about the DW set.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm certain that "pingy" ride would be about perfect.

I am convinced that there are no better hats made than the K line.
    I have the same set you bought except mine are 13 inch................for the last 20 years, every hat pair I have played cannot compare.........it's a fact.

I'm still a bit sick that you had to trade in the 57 Renowns.
    I have the Gretsch USA Customs you talked me into getting back in '13. I even got them to do the same finish (Ebony transparent lacquer) as your '77 kit because it was the 2010 Gretsch USA Custom snare finished in the same Transparent Ebony Lacquer (6.5x14") that I bought before the kit which convinced me on how good the USA's are. So I had to ask myself, "Why hold on the the Renowns when I have the best that Gretsch offers?" Besides, I didn't have the disposable income one would needed to keep both and buy the DW's so '57's had to go...
    Last edited by late8; 06-13-2016 at 01:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re:

I have the Gretsch USA Customs you talked me into getting back in '13. I even got them to do the same finish (Ebony transparent lacquer) as your '77 kit.
    BTW.............When I was in SC last summer doing the facility tour, we walked into a room near the paint booth and they had a display of all of the available finishes for the USA that year.
    Mr. Cooper asked me if any of the current finishes was the same as I had on my shells..............I pointed to the Ebony Gloss and said, "This one".

His reply was something like............"We introduced that one in the 70s and it has been popular every year since".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re:

BTW.............When I was in SC last summer doing the facility tour, we walked into a room near the paint booth and they had a display of all of the available finishes for the USA that year.
    Mr. Cooper asked me if any of the current finishes was the same as I had on my shells..............I pointed to the Ebony Gloss and said, "This one".

His reply was something like............"We introduced that one in the 70s and it has been popular every year since".
    Wow! Very cool bit of trivia! I can't believe my kit sat on that same inspection table you were standing in front of during your tour last year! Very cool!

User Info Menu

I think the store is still better off with an $800 "niche" kit sitting around than a $3K kit that didn't sell in many years. I think it was a good deal for all involved. I just hope they don't piecemeal it out on eBay like some stores.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think the store is still better off with an $800 "niche" kit sitting around than a $3K kit that didn't sell in many years. I think it was a good deal for all involved. I just hope they don't piecemeal it out on eBay like some stores.
    When I first laid eyes on this kit, this store had was asking $6999. It sat with a 50% discount ($3,399.98) until I showed up. Then, it dropped down to $2,300 as I showed interest in it.

As I ran into the now grumpy store manager who brokered the deal for me, he gave me the impression he was a little disappointing the '57 kit was still on the floor. He didn't come out and say anything but I can tell he's feeling a little "buyer's remorse" maybe? Only a vibe maybe. Anyhoo, it's somebody problem now...

I can only assume it was 'fate' that this kit was still hanging around the store after all those years and not a dent, scratch or nick on the finish. When I traded in the '57s, I left my cases behind so the "new" kit could be in bags while it was on layaway. Good "insurance" policy.

User Info Menu

That's a really cool looking set. Top notch on the snare and cymbal selection too. I really like the exotic veneer on the re-rings too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    That's a really cool looking set. Top notch on the snare and cymbal selection too. I really like the exotic veneer on the re-rings too.
    Thanks bongos! It took a lot to get to this point!

User Info Menu

When I first laid eyes on this kit, this store had was asking $6999. It sat with a 50% discount ($3,399.98) until I showed up. Then, it dropped down to $2,300 as I showed interest in it.

As I ran into the now grumpy store manager who brokered the deal for me, he gave me the impression he was a little disappointing the '57 kit was still on the floor. He didn't come out and say anything but I can tell he's feeling a little "buyer's remorse" maybe? Only a vibe maybe. Anyhoo, it's somebody problem now...

I can only assume it was 'fate' that this kit was still hanging around the store after all those years and not a dent, scratch or nick on the finish. When I traded in the '57s, I left my cases behind so the "new" kit could be in bags while it was on layaway. Good "insurance" policy.
    Well.....some guys are just never happy. If they let a $7k kit sit on their floor for 9yrs, an $800 collector kit sitting for a month is the least of his problems, LOL.
    BTW- I met a guy from Lodi last week. He was my age (late 40s) and grew up on a farm there (vineyard). He moved to KC about a year ago to take a job as a factory sales rep.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Rich,

Glad you FINALLY have that DW kit in hand! Congratulations! It's a beautiful kit, and I love the finished rings! Gorgeous! I am certain you will like the new stock DW heads that are coming...I was really surprised at how good the stock heads sounded on my cherry kit. If I'd have been a smart guy, I'd have just left those bad boys in place until I actually NEEDED new heads. But, I think you'll like the clear EC2/G1 heads on that kit, too. I sort of have the "inverse" in place, right now...clear G2 over EC Reso on all 5 of my toms, and I'm liking that combo a lot. I even got a set of coated G2s for the batters that I was going to try...but I'm going to hold off on installing those as I'm happy with the clears.

Looking forward to reports on what you think...hoping you are as happy as you expect to be!

P.S. Are you planning to try to tune the heads to the stated "shell pitch"? I've not really tried to go that route, rather, just tried to tune to a stated tone interval between tom toms.
    Last edited by cabasner; 06-13-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I sold it back to them for $800 store credit and found it marked up to $1099. I think I got one over on them because the '57s are such a "niche" kit, I knew they would have trouble re-selling it in a "reasonable amount of time". In my opinion, the longer that kit sits unsold, the more the store looses because they'll have to start marking it down to sell it to get it off their inventory list before the retail inventory tax deadline that takes place for retailers in July of next month. Yikes![/B]

[/QUOTE]

Will they ship? can you PM their web address?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re:

I can't believe my kit sat on that same inspection table you were standing in front of during your tour last year!
    Yes..................all USA Custom drums and Brooklyn drums wind up on the same table before they are approved to be shipped out.

The guy in the blue shirt is Paul Cooper -- he has been the foreman at the Gretsch USA facility for the last 25 years -- there were only 12 other workers in the building. It is a small but well-trained group of skilled employees. Everyone was so flexible to talk to me and my wife and answer every question we had for a full hour during their busy workday.
    We were impressed with their friendly acceptance of us (tours are not common) as well as their skills -- about a week later, we bought breakfast for all of them and had it delivered.

In the second photo, Mr. Cooper explains that this (irreplaceable) custom-made drill press has drilled the lug holes for every USA shell since the 50s.
    Think about it.................my shells, your shells, Collins' and Colaiuta's shells.......................even Elvin's shells.
    The drill press has been rebuilt a few times over all those years.

Last edited by Ricardo; 06-14-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re:

Yes..................all USA Custom drums and Brooklyn drums wind up on the same table before they are approved to be shipped out.

The guy in the blue shirt is Paul Cooper -- he has been the foreman at the Gretsch USA facility for the last 25 years -- there were only 12 other workers in the building. It is a small but well-trained group of skilled employees. Everyone was so flexible to talk to me and my wife and answer every question we had for a full hour during their busy workday.
    We were impressed with their friendly acceptance of us (tours are not common) as well as their skills -- about a week later, we bought breakfast for all of them and had it delivered.

In the second photo, Mr. Cooper explains that this (irreplaceable) custom-made drill press has drilled the lug holes for every USA shell since the 50s.
    Think about it.................my shells, your shells, Collins' and Colaiuta's shells.......................even Elvin's shells.
    The drill press has been rebuilt a few times over all those years.
    Wow! What a wonderful group of dedicated and loyal employees of Gretsch and also the history behind the famous drill press that has survived the ages.

I'll never forget that day.

User Info Menu