Thread: Gear review: Humes and Berg drum bags

User Info Menu

Default Gear review: Humes and Berg drum bags

Since I'm going to be gigging again and remembering how heavy my SKB hard cases are, I decided to get a set of bags to make the task a bit easier this time around. I shopped the major brands for quality, price and review reputations.

When all was said and done this is what I decided on. Galaxy series.

20160623_223917 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160623_224022 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160623_224106 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20160623_224136 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

First let me start by saying the quality is there. Very heavy construction, nice tight seams, heavy dual zippers, rugged and very well attached handles and most importantly a silky smooth lining and decent padding.

The next concern was fit. These are outstanding. Even with the FT leg brackets and the Star mounting system for the MT, they still easily slid into the bags with a snug but not tight fit. No stretching or tugging or any other persuasion needed to get them in or out.

They ship flat in plastic wrap so at this point they are still a bit creased but that should ease up after they've been stretched.

Here's the one downside that I didn't see or think about up until now. Humes and Berg has 3 basic styles, Tuxedo, Galaxy and Seeker. I like the Galaxy due to quality for price. What I didn't see was that they don't make the 8" or 10" bag in the Galaxy series but of course in the Seeker and Tuxedo.

So if I want to get bags for the littles, I'll have to change series. Leave it to me to botch an easy pick.

Anyway, all in all excellent bags for the money. After many gigs I'll report back with any mishaps.
    Last edited by Bish; 06-24-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gear review: Humes and Berg drum bags

Very nice Mark! How do you compare these to Ahead soft bags since you did some research? I noticed the Tama tom mounts look similar to the GTS as far as how much it sticks out from the hoop; you mentioned a snug but not tight fit. The Ahead bags have the extra space to accommodate that type of mounting system. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

I didn't get a hands on with all the bags. Mostly Gatar, Roadrunner, B&H. I only found Ahead cymbal bags so I didn't have a chance to check out their drum bags. My inspection process was mainly for wall thickness, gauge of material, overall construction and price. Mine are by no means overly eager to accept the mounting bracket but they went in without a struggle.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have two Ahead drum bags for my 24 and my 18..............great.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I have two Ahead drum bags for my 24 and my 18..............great.

I have two complete sets of 5pc. Ahead bags for the high end kits and 5pc set of Gator bags for storage. The Ahead cases are leaps and bound better than the Gators but have yet to try the Humes and Berg bags.

User Info Menu

Just bought the Galaxy cymbal and snare bag a short time ago. Pretty decent and solid. Only thing I don't get is how they calculate dimensions. I ordered the 5.5x14 snare bag and my 8x14 Gretsch snare fits it perfectly. Oh well. No harm done. My 8x14 now has a nice bag to be carried around in.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a lot of different bags, but in my opinion Beato bags hands down!

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the Galaxy bags, but I was always under the impression that the Ahead stuff was better made. I could be wrong though. The Ahead bags I have are all excellent. I've used a few of the Universal Percussion Beato bags as well and they are nice, not firm like the Ahead cases but they are well made and cheap.
    Also, not sure if anyone has heard of them but last night I bought some WolfPack bags. These are "hard bags", like the Ahead cases, with nice padding inside. The nice thing about these is they have a shoulder strap, whereas the Ahead bags do not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I haven't tried the Galaxy bags, but I was always under the impression that the Ahead stuff was better made. I could be wrong though. The Ahead bags I have are all excellent. I've used a few of the Universal Percussion Beato bags as well and they are nice, not firm like the Ahead cases but they are well made and cheap.
    Also, not sure if anyone has heard of them but last night I bought some WolfPack bags. These are "hard bags", like the Ahead cases, with nice padding inside. The nice thing about these is they have a shoulder strap, whereas the Ahead bags do not.
    Where on earth did you find WolfPak cases? I've got a snare bag made from that company and I've been searching in vain to try to find more. WolfPak makes very sturdy soft bags cases with what appears to be reinforced edges to keep the bag from deforming. And yes, the shoulder strap is a godsend and it's a nice added touch since I can drape the strap over my shoulders which frees up my hands to carry more gear. I wish I had a complete set of WolfPak cases but my search continues.

You can almost see the reinforced edges that outline the perimeter hidden underneath the outer lining of the snare bag.

It has what appears to be some type of velveteen liner with a very sturdy zipper and every bag has a pocket made of nylon netting that's sewn on the inside flap of the case to hold stuff.

Last edited by late8; 06-24-2016 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Where on earth did you find WolfPak cases? I've got a snare bag made from that company and I've been searching in vain to try to find more. WolfPak makes very sturdy soft bags cases with what appears to be reinforced edges to keep the bag from deforming. And yes, the shoulder strap is a godsend and it's a nice added touch since I can drape the strap over my shoulders which frees up my hands to carry more gear. I wish I had a complete set of WolfPak cases but my search continues.
    I bought them last night off craigslist along with lots of other gear. There are 10"x9", 12"x10", 14"x6.5" and 16"x16" bags. Normally I resell everything I get off Craigslist but I'm keeping at least the 12" bag as I was going to buy a 12" Ahead one for my snare anyway. They are very well-made and I was very surprised at the quality. Unfortunately it seems like the company doesn't make drum cases anymore (if they are still in business.)

User Info Menu

H&B Galaxy bags are nice. I have one for a 5.5 x 14 snare drum and it's very well made ...

User Info Menu

I have a set of Gator bags. They don't like suspension mounts much, but they do fit. It took me a year to figure out a trick; instead of trying to put the drums INTO the bags, set the drums on the floor and slip the bags OVER the drums. Then flip the drum over and zip the case. Much easier....but it just never occurred to me.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a set of Gator bags. They don't like suspension mounts much, but they do fit. It took me a year to figure out a trick; instead of trying to put the drums INTO the bags, set the drums on the floor and slip the bags OVER the drums. Then flip the drum over and zip the case. Much easier....but it just never occurred to me.
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Especially important with the bass drum. Same thing when removing. Fold back lid, flip, pull bag up and off.

I learned that way back in the '70s when I delivered heavy console TV's, full size appliances, window A/Cs, etc. Pop one end, fold the flaps out, flip it, pull the box off and you have your product. It worked even better if you opened it from the bottom. That way your product is face up after removal of the container.

Good call!!
    Signature here