Thread: Knuckle pain after intense session?

User Info Menu

Default Knuckle pain after intense session?

Hey so seems like over the last month or so after I have a good 2-3 hour tough session I get a really tender right hand index finger sore knuckle where the finger meets the back of the hand. Im thinking just general inflammation or tendinitis but the thought of arthritis is there too. I am 34 and in pretty good health. I eat pretty well and even do lots of extras like super purified water with minerals added, drink colloidal silver, avacado smoothies . I am also a high level competitive squash player/coach. So basically I dont know what the FRICK is going on. I believe my technique is pretty decent. I play match grip.

anyone else have this issue in that one knuckle. Although the tenderness is a little above and below the knuckle also but its mostly concentrated in the joint.

Thanks
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Knuckle pain after intense session?

Maybe have a pro drummer examine your technique. Then check with a doctor. You might have to change up something. I've never had that particular problem but I have had repetitive stress injuries.

User Info Menu

Ditto to what Tom said. Definitely have your technique assessed by an experienced instructor. Sounds like you might be gripping too hard, perhaps.
    Not unheard of for arthritis to hit some people rather young. Any family history of arthritis increases the odds.
    But totally check into your grip first. Seems much more likely. Good luck.
    Personally, my poor technique has resulted in worsening carpal tunnel syndrome. Can't open a new jar of mayo anymore.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I agree with checking the grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've never had that particular problem but I have had repetitive stress injuries.
    Me too. My right elbow is killing me

User Info Menu

I hold the sticks fairly loose. Not too lose that they always feel like they are going to fly out of my hands but loose enough I get a nice rebound going. I feel like I am holding them in the most natural and efficient way. Dont know how I could improve but then again, I am not a high level instructor. I should have it checked though in the end.

EDIT... thinking back I remember it being really sore when starting my last round of golf about 2 weeks ago. I am a lefty so my right knuckles take a lot of impact at the contact point of the ball.. hmmm
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

There you go, sounds like you figured it out man. Sometimes it pays to sit back and think of the possibilities.

User Info Menu

I have occasional pain on my right hand behind the knuckle area due to job related issues such as years of using an impact gun in a auto shop during my younger years (think trigger finger syndrome). Today, I still have issues in that hand if I don't properly warm up and stretch my fingers, wrist and arms. Ice and resting the hand helps cope with the pain.

User Info Menu

45 years of construction work.
    The past 5 years of daily drumming (several hours).
    15 years of softball 2x a week

Rub some dirt on it
    Last edited by NewTricks; 06-30-2016 at 02:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Me too. My right elbow is killing me
    LOL I see what you did there
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

someone please buy me a bag of quick mix cement for my birthday, so I can harden the fu#% up lol