Thread: Mark Guiliana

BackStreetDrums Guest

Default Mark Guiliana

Have been watching some youtube videos of his jazz drumming.

He does not seem to use a mounted tom. Looking at his website, his gear indicates just snare, FT, and kick.

Very interesting. I don't think I could ever play without a mounted tom...a FT, perhaps, but not one up.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mark Guiliana

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    Have been watching some youtube videos of his jazz drumming.

He does not seem to use a mounted tom. Looking at his website, his gear indicates just snare, FT, and kick.

Very interesting. I don't think I could ever play without a mounted tom...a FT, perhaps, but not one up.
    I can pretty much play anything right down to nothing but a snare drum.

all the best...

BackStreetDrums Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I can pretty much play anything right down to nothing but a snare drum.

all the best...
    yes, but my input was not, 'how' he does it, but more of a 'why'

User Info Menu

In all likelihood that is just one photo/video of him playing. Probably plays in conventional configs when he's gigging.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I love Mark Guiliana. He's an off-the-wall genius. I saw him play at the Blue Whale in LA, and the control he had over his drum's sound was remarkable - just with his hands alone, but also he would throw tambourine rings or paper on the drums for different songs to create alternative sounds. It was incredible to watch him play.

You're right that normally he only uses the one floor tom, but he normally also has an alt snare and a trigger pad of some kind and uses a lot of midi instruments as a part of his kit. I think that what's he's doing is some of the most interesting and creative new stuff in drumming that I've seen in a while.

You should check out his album Beat Music: The Los Angeles Improvisations. Gnarly.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove