Thread: video electric drums

User Info Menu

Default video electric drums

Does anyone know if you can interface a video camera with the electric drum module on an Alesis crimson?
    Im trying to figure out how to get a good sound out of my drums for video.

User Info Menu

Default Re: video electric drums

Not knowing if you have a DAW or Video Editing software or what Camera Model you would use all I can do is tell you how I would do it. I would record the Live Performance (including the Audio) to the Video Camera. Either by pluging an Aux Audio Out of my Drum Module into the Camera Audio Input or over Speakers being captured onto the Camera's Mic. At the same time I would Record the Drums Main Audio Outputs (and/or Midi) to a DAW. I would then use the Camera Audio as a "Guide Track" only in order to Sync up the Audio Performance captured in the DAW to the Raw Video. You do this either inside a DAW if it supports Movie files such as Logic Pro X or Garageband or inside a Video Editing Program such as Final Cut Pro X or iMovie. Of course you will have to Transfer the Video from the Camera first to your Computer and make sure it is in a Format that your Software recognizes such as a .Mov file etc. And you will have to Bounce/Mix/Export the DAW performance into a Video Editing Program if you decide to go that route. Once everything is all Sync'd up you Mute the Audio Guide Track and use the DAW Recorded Audio Track on the Video. You can avoid all this if you are able to capture a good audio performance onto the camera to begin with but you will not have the flexibility you would have by Recording into a DAW.
    Last edited by mdee; 07-04-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen