Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of gear skyrocketing

User Info Menu

Default Price of gear skyrocketing

I don't know how it is in the US, but I'm getting sick of the prices at long and Mcquade. I was planning on getting another Tama roadpro boom stand today. The price about half a year ago for one roadpro boom was $82 CAN. Today when I go: $130!! The prices are crazy, but I have nowhere else to go for drum gear. A simple pair of sticks is $15, and Remo pinstripes start at $23. Get a load of this: a 22" Wuhan China for $315. I don't know where to go anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Price of gear skyrocketing

I hear ya Mike , stupid prices , no good stands on cl? BTW CS tom's pop up now and then on Vancouver cl,right now there is a 14" floor tom with legs great condition $40 but its Black,if you're into shipping and rewrap

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 07-04-2016 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    I hear ya Mike , stupid prices , no good stands on cl? BTW CS tom's pop up now and then on Vancouver cl,right now there is a 14" floor tom with legs great condition $40 but its Black,if you're into shipping and rewrap

Mike
    The only red tom I've ever seen for sale was a 12" on eBay. They're near impossible to find! I appreciate the offer but I love the finish of my kit right now. The birch grain is incredible under the red laquer. Even if I did refinish the 14", it wouldn't come close to the one I have now.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Oh ya I forgot it was lacquer, the CS I had was black and you couldn't really see the woodgrain

Mike

User Info Menu

One word for you...........Amazon.

User Info Menu

Or LA music in Toronto.

User Info Menu

That's some outrageous prices Mike. I live in a rural area and the nearest music store is a 30 minute drive, one way.

User Info Menu

GC's entire inventory is a click away. Prices are usually very good. Free shipping most of the time. Guarantees on new gear too.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I don't know how it is in the US, but I'm getting sick of the prices at long and Mcquade. I was planning on getting another Tama roadpro boom stand today. The price about half a year ago for one roadpro boom was $82 CAN. Today when I go: $130!! The prices are crazy, but I have nowhere else to go for drum gear. A simple pair of sticks is $15, and Remo pinstripes start at $23. Get a load of this: a 22" Wuhan China for $315. I don't know where to go anymore.
    Might have something to do with our dollar being low.

User Info Menu

Yes. It's due to currency fluctuations. Do you have a friend in the states who can buy a stand for you and ship it up?

User Info Menu

You guys ever hear of Reverb? They buy and sell used gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    One word for you...........Amazon.
    Roadpros are $130 but they have some nice Gibraltar stuff for cheaper. I didn't really think to look there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    GC's entire inventory is a click away. Prices are usually very good. Free shipping most of the time. Guarantees on new gear too.
    I've looked in the past but the Canadian site has a fraction of the inventory of the US site. Unless they've changed it now.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Anybody have experience with the Gibraltar 5709 boom stand? It's cheaper on Amazon than at long and Mcquade. Looks pretty solid.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Anybody have experience with the Gibraltar 5709 boom stand?
    Yes, I do and I don't like the hideaway feature because it limits on how much the tilter can boom up or down since the hideaway tube is located directly behind the tilter mechanism.

Hideaway position of the boom arm:

Tilter up and down rotation is limited due to hideaway tube located behind the tilter (arrow).

Note how the Pearl 800 series stand has the tilter off-set from the center tube allowing it to rotate further on the stand.

The cymbal boom arms for Gibraltar racks are designed in the same manner as the 5709 and it's frustrating when I can't get the arm passed the hideaway tube.

User Info Menu

Have a look at PDP stands. The P/D 800 is a hideaway boom stand like the Gibraltar 5700, but has bigger tubing, and is very stable.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info late8. I can see the issue, but the way I'll be using it is perfect. I plan to have it on the left of the rack Tom reaching over to have a splash to the right of it. I would just get another boom arm but the other stands are to far from the location I want. But if I was to use it in another configuration, I can see an issue. What's the price on them in the US? I can get one on Amazon for $100.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I also agree it's amazing how much prices have gone up... but the economy is still in a slouch no matter what anyone says.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info late8. I can see the issue, but the way I'll be using it is perfect. I plan to have it on the left of the rack Tom reaching over to have a splash to the right of it. I would just get another boom arm but the other stands are to far from the location I want. But if I was to use it in another configuration, I can see an issue. What's the price on them in the US? I can get one on Amazon for $100.
    Lowest price in the U.S. is $62.00 USD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Lowest price in the U.S. is $62.00 USD.
    Looks like I'll keep looking. L & M has them listed for $129. Same as the roadpro.

-Mike

User Info Menu

They are much lighter than the Roadpro if I remember correctly. The PDP 800 stands already mentioned are similarly priced and much better...or Yamaha if those are cheaper for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    They are much lighter than the Roadpro if I remember correctly. The PDP 800 stands already mentioned are similarly priced and much better...or Yamaha if those are cheaper for you.
    The thing that I don't really like is that there's only one telescoping tube, but the Gibraltar has 2. The Gibraltar also has a very strong boom rod.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The second tube on the Gibraltar is too flimsy for my taste---my P/D 800 stands will go as high as you will ever need, the boom arm is the same size as any of the others, and you can get the boom nearly vertical. This is one of mine on my 4-piece kit, and I didn't even need to extend the first tube to get my crash where i wanted it!

User Info Menu

The exchange on the dollar has done the damage here in Canada. No one is gouging, but most all the suppliers even though things often come overseas, the US dollar has it's way with us. Count on a 45% increase over any advertised price in the U.S. Factoring in shipping. Triple flange hoops I normally buy for $12-13 are now $22. I just paid $150 for a trick throw. Ugh!
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, I do and I don't like the hideaway feature because it limits on how much the tilter can boom up or down since the hideaway tube is located directly behind the tilter mechanism.

Hideaway position of the boom arm:

Tilter up and down rotation is limited due to hideaway tube located behind the tilter (arrow).

Note how the Pearl 800 series stand has the tilter off-set from the center tube allowing it to rotate further on the stand.

The cymbal boom arms for Gibraltar racks are designed in the same manner as the 5709 and it's frustrating when I can't get the arm passed the hideaway tube.

That happens on Tama and Mapex stands too. It can be frustrating, but I've always been able to make it work.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Went to L&M today. I picked up 3 pairs of promark 5a oak sticks. $18 a pair. I didn't check the 7a this time but last time I bought a pair, they were way less than $15. I'm willing to give the oaks a try though. They held up well for 747s.

-Mike