Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: set lists. yes or no

User Info Menu

Default set lists. yes or no

Ever since I can remember the set list was always a big thing before whatever band i was in but with RDM we haven't used one since the middle of last year. My first reaction was "oh man how are we going to do this" but it's no big deal really. Actually I've come to kind of like it.

The thing about it was that it wasn't done on purpose the first time. Can't remember why we didn't have time to make them at that gig but we've never made them since. There's a lot of guitar swapping going on and can usually tell what's coming up just by the guitar Scott picks up. It's not that bad
    Last edited by slinky; 07-13-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: set lists. yes or no

Nice,i wish we didn't use them, but we do...in the good ole days (other bands) we never used them, guitar player would just start, or if we were all in, then he'd tell us what song we're doing....nowadays our "leader" changes the set lists on a nightly basis...and our guitar player changes it on the fly, as he starts the wrong song!!

User Info Menu

haha can it get anymore confusing?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

We use them. Not sure we could get through 45-50 songs without them without repeating something or totally screwing things up. We almost don't make it through the night with them as we go through a lot of "Let's skip this one" or "Let's do this one later" or "I hate this d*mn song let's not do it"...............

User Info Menu

Cool Re: set lists. yes or no

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    We use them. Not sure we could get through 45-50 songs without them without repeating something or totally f*cking things up. We almost don't make it through the night with them as we go through a lot of "Let's skip this one" or "Let's do this one later" or "I hate this d*mn song let's not do it"...............
    Yes that all sounds super familiar too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    yes that all sounds super familiar too!
    lol !

+ 1
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

oh yeah I forgot about you 4hr a night 7 days a week guys
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I like the structure. If you have someone that is really good at calling songs then it works. Otherwise, there tends to be way too much time between songs. From an audience perspective, that's lag time and they want you to play. Sometimes, they're even waiting on the dance floor for the next tune to happen and the band guys are jacking around trying to make their mind up on the next song.

For the best experience, I think the song lists should only be a guide. If the flow of the room is getting slower or faster, you need to variate from the list and play to mood of the room. Just make it make sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    We use them. Not sure we could get through 45-50 songs without them without repeating something or totally screwing things up. We almost don't make it through the night with them as we go through a lot of "Let's skip this one" or "Let's do this one later" or "I hate this d*mn song let's not do it"...............
    I agree. We have 46 songs that we play during a normal gig and another 10+ on a "reserve" list that we can pull up if needed. I arrange the set lists before each gig based on the type of crowd I anticipate. I mix the styles up and try to keep from doing songs with similar chord progressions and the same key separated. We also do a lot of instrument changes (fiddle, steel, acoustic, mandolin, electric, etc..), so I try to arrange the songs to reduce instrument swap time. We stick to it about 90%. The other 10% is skipping and jumping around on the list by reading the crowd. If people are dancing, we try to keep the energy up. If they're digging the Blues, we'll skip over some of the Bluegrass songs....stuff like that. The danger is in taking too long to decide on stage. There needs to be one person (who's good at it) calling the shots.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We use them. Our gigs are usually 3 - 45 minute sets, so we're doing about 35 songs a night. We try to arrange our sets so that there aren't a lot of similar sounding songs (key, tempo) in a row. We recently switched from paper sets to an app on our tablets which also has the lyrics, chords, tempo and key. This also eliminated the unsightly music stands that cluttered the stage. We do change the set on the fly as well depending on the crowd.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

We used set lists, read the crowd, started changes at 1st break.

Our only constant was that we started each new gig with "On Broadway".

User Info Menu

Always. I like the structure. I like a plan. I like to know when to break and when to count off the next song. I don't care for "leaders" calling out the next tune. Strikes me as unprofessional usually.

User Info Menu

For me, backing tracks plus pre programmed lights = set lists

In a different situation, it wouldn't matter....as long as I remember the intro

User Info Menu

My current band and side project both use set list. I played a going away party last Sunday night with some pick up musicians and I talked over with the singer a list or wing it? He wanted to wing it. It was kinda fun, but a lot of downtime between songs. The only thing that was concrete was playing Purple Rain at the end of the set. There was no or little direction even ask the audience for requests.

User Info Menu

I prefer the structure of having a set list. After 20+ years of working on aircraft, and my hobby as a musician, my hearing sucks. So without a set list, it can be hard to hear what the singer/guitarist is saying when they tell me what song is next. Plus, bridging from one song directly into another is always fun to do, and that's something that has to be planned. But then again, spontaneity is fun too.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

We always used set lists, if we were at a club for 4 nights which was usually the case the set list was different each night. We did not want empty air between songs. As soon as one song ended I was counting off the next. Don't give them the chance to leave the dance floor....

User Info Menu

We definitely plan out our shows and use set lists.
    We also verify the set list depending on the place and crowd.

We like the set lists because then there's no dead time between songs.
    We can just keep rocking one song into another into another and keep the crowd going.
    Also another advantage is so they knew when to change guitars or change their tuning etc.

User Info Menu

Set lists are usually a must for our gigs. Some of our players have notes that they use for certain songs so it's always good for them to remember what they're doing before we play it..
    I normally hate the idea of "winging" it. It can be fun sometimes but it feels very unprofessional when you're trying to figure out what to play next. Ha which reminds me of the time our bass player had his phone out during our set calling out the next song to play.. Other than that sometimes we'll skip songs or change it up just a little bit. but never enough to rewrite the whole set.

User Info Menu

We always start with a set list, but it usually goes off course after the first few songs. I really wish we stuck to it closer, but I'm just an Indian...not a chief.

Tex

User Info Menu

^hahahahahahahaha

See now my old band HAD to follow the set list because our worthless singer had a song book with all the lyrics and had to put it in order for the setlist so he can turn the page as we go and keep singing... god I don't miss him at all... worthless singer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^hahahahahahahaha

See now my old band HAD to follow the set list because our worthless singer had a song book with all the lyrics and had to put it in order for the setlist so he can turn the page as we go and keep singing... god I don't miss him at all... worthless singer
    Song book ?
    Just say no.

I hate music stands, iPads, lyric sheets...................all those crutches.
    I think it looks amateurish and displays a weakness in a band.

In every band of which I have been a member, it is the same approach...............Learn the song as it is supposed to be played and be prepared to perform with all the skills you have developed in your life.
    We change endings and also merge some songs into medleys.........otherwise, the song is played as it was recorded..................without any crutch.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Song book ?
    Just say no.

In every band of which I have been a member, it is the same approach...............Learn the song as it is supposed to be played and be prepared to perform with all the skills you have developed in your life.
    We change endings and also merge some songs into medleys.........otherwise, the song is played as it was recorded..................without any crutch.
    I'm with you on that.

User Info Menu

Song book ?
    Just say no.

Double-ditto
    Signature here

User Info Menu

On further thought, set lists become useless if the guitar player can't read.

Most of them can't count past 10 without taking their shoes and socks off, so why should anyone think they can read.

User Info Menu

Song book ?
    Just say no.

Music stands.......huge pet peeve of mine. Can't stand 'em. I also don't like the iPads on the mic stand either, but, I've given up on that fight. They really aren't as obtrusive as the music stands.