Thread: Remo Banjo heads

User Info Menu

Default Remo Banjo heads

Brother and I went into a little music store yesterday and they had a banjo hanging up. It had a Remo head on. Learn something new everyday, never knew they even made them.

If someone here has a banjo can you explain how the whole thing works? I could see how it was held on but not how to take it off. Does the string bridge come with a new head or do you just use the one from the old head? How often do they need changing? would seem very seldom

i did a search on the Remo site and didn't see any info on them
    Last edited by slinky; 08-05-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Banjo heads

I think they do it with a sawzall.

User Info Menu

I have Remo FiberSkyn III heads on two of my banjos, and an old Waverly FiberSkyn II on a third. My other two banjos have natural skin heads (calf & goat, respectively).

Banjo bridges are floating -- held against the head by string tension alone.

Heads are held in place by a metal tension hoop, which you tighten down with hooks that insert into 'bracket shoes' that are spaced around the wooden rim, with hex nuts underneath. (Sort of like a conga drum.)

Banjo heads do not need to be changed unless they rip (or if player chooses to switch from a natural to a synthetic skin, for a different sound, or for more consistent performance under changes in temperature or humidity).

I am pretty sure that there is a 'Banjo Heads' tab up at the right, on the Remo website.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 08-05-2016 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

The ones I've seen tension down like a drum but with little claw hook type things. The bridge-saddle is just a wood piece which removes and replaces. Like drums, banjoes were originally calf skinned, and suseptible to the same woes. With the advent of the plastic drum heads it stood to reason to go that way and Remo was on it. I don't think Evans and the others make them but I could be wrong. I've only seen Remo banjo heads. As far as how often, probably not too often. Only a banjo player would know when there was tonal loss. Hope this helps.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 08-05-2016 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Bluegrass players generally prefer smooth plastic heads, for that popcorn-popper sound. Jazz, folk and old-timey players are the ones more likely to go with natural skin or something like the Remo FiberSkyn.

User Info Menu

Most banjo players only spend ~15% of their time playing the banjo.
    The other 85% is spent tuning it. I'd hate to think what it would be like using an actual skin head, LOL. Someday I'll finish my project making a bass banjo out of a 22" bass drum.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham